News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Have we seen preliminary designs? I'm still surprised they're going to the south side, mostly to do with CN's appetite for tracks closer to the offices there.

No new platform/existing platform modification designs public as of yet. Apparently, CN itself will design the third track so that's not part of this contract.

What do you mean by "CN's appetite for tracks closer to the offices there."?

I use it all the time. It's a complete non-issue - unless your head also hits all the streetcar wires! :)

Is this you?

36686040_1796589720454061_3560320308319617024_n.jpg

No, but this perhaps? :)

Poorly written article with a bunch of mistakes but at least an update 😕. They should just hire some UT'ers to write these.
I also like how they include "This wall safely separates the corridor from public access." like an 8ft tall 2ft thick concrete wall is the best choice to prevent people from accessing the station.

Also a fancy new rendering:

Interesting to see the difference between what Maple is getting and what Rutherford got.

Poorly written article with a bunch of mistakes but at least an update 😕. They should just hire some UT'ers to write these.
I also like how they include "This wall safely separates the corridor from public access." like an 8ft tall 2ft thick concrete wall is the best choice to prevent people from accessing the station.

Also a fancy new rendering:

Interesting to see the difference between what Maple is getting and what Rutherford got.

I'll bring the render forward:

1692810088464.png

No platform canopies seems really weird to me.

Also, you could make those structures look so much better with just an iota of care.

Precast brick veneer for the opaque sections and the concrete base (and or use forms to make the concrete an interesting pattern)

The flat roof(s) here look goofy simply because of the presence of heritage station. No need for faux historicism here, but a modern pitched roof would look more cohesive.

No platform canopies seems really weird to me.

Also, you could make those structures look so much better with just an iota of care.

Precast brick veneer for the opaque sections and the concrete base (and or use forms to make the concrete an interesting pattern)

The flat roof(s) here look goofy simply because of the presence of heritage station. No need for faux historicism here, but a modern pitched roof would look more cohesive.

I'm the first to complain about overbuilt transit stations, but this does look like ML threw out the baby with the bathwater.

Given that the entire streetscape around the station is now very modern, one would have hoped that any additional station structures would attempt to transition between the station architecture and the more modern. The design will make the station stand out in a bad way instead of giving it its place without dragging the entire station to an older style.

The materiality should try to blend with the surrounding buildings (there is reddish, tan and beigish to work with), as well as the station itself

Instead we get....Metrolinx grey and nothing but right angles.

- Paul

No new platform/existing platform modification designs public as of yet. Apparently, CN itself will design the third track so that's not part of this contract.

What do you mean by "CN's appetite for tracks closer to the offices there."?
I mean putting trains closer to this.
Untitled.png

New Control location "Conti" went in to service at Mile 48.5 Guelph sub. This is just east of the current Guelph GO station... looks like first section of double track will go from 48.5 to 50.2 at Hanlon.
Hey, do you when this construction will take place? I live right next to the Norfolk bridge and can't seem to get info on anything! - since it seems no visible work is happening west of Dublin, I assumed they would reinstate the switch (and existing signal) to be the western end of the double track....

That building is now owned by ML and will be demolished. The bus terminal will also have to relocate.

- Paul

Incorrect. The City of Brampton owns it.

Anyway, there are plans for a new transit hub, but like almost everything in Downtown Brampton, it’s taking its sweet time to get started.

New Control location "Conti" went in to service at Mile 48.5 Guelph sub. This is just east of the current Guelph GO station... looks like first section of double track will go from 48.5 to 50.2 at Hanlon.

Is "Conti" named after anything? Something nearby?

Back