News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I wish GO would release a "double tracking" map, showing where track is doubled already and whats planned to do

Consider asking them for it, more specifically, target the Mx communications people and tell them how interesting you think it would be to a large number of riders.

Ya never know.......they might just humour ya!

Saw this Metrolinx sign on a ride this morning. :)

DSC05536.jpeg

DSC05534.jpeg

This is the view out onto the Stouffville line from just above the former Ellesmere station.

Does anyone know what the plan is here? Is the right hand side track in the bottom of the photo going to be split in two and connected with the dead end right hand side track in the top of the photo, View attachment 507929
[continued from the GO Transit Service thread]

I am honestly stumped by why they installed a cutover on the Stouffville Line just south of Ellesmere.

You'd think they're trying to get completed portion of double track (Highland Creek to just north of Kennedy) in service so they can run 30-minute headways and/or counter-peak service, but this is in the middle of a completed double-track segment with interlockings at both ends (Highland and Oakworth) so if trains need to be on the east track you'd think they'd just get there using the existing switches. Maybe it's a very temporary shift to make more buffer space for crews demolishing the SRT guideway in the interim until the Highland interlocking is commissioned?

I doubt they'd install a temporary switch here because it's a pain to add additional control points on the line and they already have one a short distance to the north at Highland (just south of the incomplete Highland Creek bridge).

[continued from the GO Transit Service thread]

I am honestly stumped by why they installed a cutover on the Stouffville Line just south of Ellesmere.

You'd think they're trying to get completed portion of double track (Highland Creek to just north of Kennedy) in service so they can run 30-minute headways and/or counter-peak service, but this is in the middle of a completed double-track segment with interlockings at both ends (Highland and Oakworth) so if trains need to be on the east track you'd think they'd just get there using the existing switches. Maybe it's a very temporary shift to make more buffer space for crews demolishing the SRT guideway in the interim until the Highland interlocking is commissioned?

I doubt they'd install a temporary switch here because it's a pain to add additional control points on the line and they already have one a short distance to the north at Highland (just south of the incomplete Highland Creek bridge).
It's pretty simple, if you think about it.

The Highland interlocking is obviously not compete. It needs some trackage beyond the end of the points in order to make the electrical connections and install the shunts and insulated joints, and that trackage is not capable of being installed due to its proximity to the lack-of-bridge over Highland Creek. Had they installed the crossovers another hundred feet to the south, then they would have enough room to finish up wiring the north end of the interlocking.

And to make matters more fun, the active track over the bridges is the western track, but the eastern track at Lawrence needs to be used in order to access the industries.

A switch/crossover in the middle of that section isn't practical for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that there is no circuitry installed nearby that could be used to install a safety device such as an electric switch lock into it.

By the way, there are a couple of other cutovers further north as the line weaves from the west side of the corridor at Agincourt to the east side over Finch Ave. and then back to the west for Miliken Station.

Dan

It's pretty simple, if you think about it.

The Highland interlocking is obviously not compete. It needs some trackage beyond the end of the points in order to make the electrical connections and install the shunts and insulated joints, and that trackage is not capable of being installed due to its proximity to the lack-of-bridge over Highland Creek. Had they installed the crossovers another hundred feet to the south, then they would have enough room to finish up wiring the north end of the interlocking.

And to make matters more fun, the active track over the bridges is the western track, but the eastern track at Lawrence needs to be used in order to access the industries.

A switch/crossover in the middle of that section isn't practical for a variety of reasons, not the least of which being that there is no circuitry installed nearby that could be used to install a safety device such as an electric switch lock into it.

By the way, there are a couple of other cutovers further north as the line weaves from the west side of the corridor at Agincourt to the east side over Finch Ave. and then back to the west for Miliken Station.

I actually did think about it but no amount of thinking would have given me the specific technical knowledge of why the Highland interlocking couldn't be commissioned despite the fact that all the completed tracks are connected to all the other completed tracks. Honestly considering I didn't know the engineering requirements I'd say I got pretty close with my guess that it allows them to switch tracks in the interim until Highland interlocking comes into service.

As always, your contributions are greatly appreciated, and today I learned something new about railway signalling so thanks for that!

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this terminology, what is a "cutover"? I googled it and I couldn't find any railway specific hits.

I actually did think about it but no amount of thinking would have given me the specific technical knowledge of why the Highland interlocking couldn't be commissioned despite the fact that all the completed tracks are connected to all the other completed tracks. Honestly considering I didn't know the engineering requirements I'd say I got pretty close with my guess that it allows them to switch tracks in the interim until Highland interlocking comes into service.

As always, your contributions are greatly appreciated, and today I learned something new about railway signalling so thanks for that!
This is fair, and I must apologize if I unfairly assumed that you had a higher knowledge of the intricacies than you actually do.

Now, one thing they could do.....if they really felt so inclined....is to spike the crossovers in such a way that they use the east track to the south of Highland, and the west track to the north. This has been done in other places and at other times, but still wouldn't allow for the second track to be put into service just yet.

Of course, the issue with doing this is that they would need to make sure that all of the signalling and crossing connections on the other tracks are completed - which is a bit of a big assumption to make. It wouldn't take long to do, but it would need to be done. There would also need to be a speed restriction over the crossover, but going from 50mph to 45mph is not a big deal timing wise.

Dan

Back