News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Cannot see 3) 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd land been use as there is no room for a yard and next to the Credit River

The only thing 2) NWWinston & Wanless has going for it as a yard is that it has less impact crossing roads

1) SE 10 Line & RC (I wonder if that means "rail corridor") is the preferred option for a yard as it has more room, but will intensifier with the road crossing and close to the Credit river and the bridge. Good opportunity to build the 3rd track bridge for it, though the south side is already in place for that 3rd track bridge. Having the bridge to the south free up the north track for GO

Lol, sure....fire me up..... it's definitely a project that will live in infamy ;-)

Someone I know who monitors the site regularly has not reported any sign of mobilization. But if the signals crew have found a way to cut in the interlocking that is immediately to the south, it will finally enable a bit of double track from Kennedy north to the creek. That task is more consistent with a single short weekend outage.

Alas, without the bridge, the new second track platforms at Agincourt and Milliken remain white elephants....

- Paul
There were work trains parked on the east track south of the CP bridge/creek yesterday when I took the afternoon Stouffville train from Agincourt to Union. I was surprised to see them so I didn't get time to snap a pic. If I was to wager a guess I'd say they were ballast related work trains and it did seem that south of them ballast had been freshly redistributed.

It looks like they're trying to open the track from south of the CP bridge to north of Kennedy.

The decision notes a farm crossing - the aerial shows a crossing between the property to the north of the tracks, and a tract of farmed land to the northwest of the 10444 property. I am guessing that this tract, and not the 10444 property, is what was being discussed.
One hates to see farmland of any type being orphaned.... but I suspect the land is already destined for development and the present farming activity will end sooner or later.
Having unprotected farm crossings on major main lines is just plain unwise, an anachronism we need to dispense with generally. So this one's time has come.

- Paul

Being in a charitable mood this morning - Having wondered why ML has been saying so little about the Halton flyover for so long.... with litigation to expropriate having been under way for a while, I can now understand ML having chosen radio silence. Now that there is a decision, maybe the pendulum will shift towards more photo ops and meaningless press releases, maybe even a PIC or two. Getting the flyover built will be a big step forwards.

- Paul

Just for understanding, what exactly will this flyover accomplish ? I understand it's use long term there is a need to give GO dedicated tracks on the Kitchener Corridor west of Bramalea, but is there a timeline for when that would actually happen, because from what I understood any such upgrades seem to be a while away. Unless the goal is for Metrolinx to finish this litigation, and they start on this project alongside the new Kitchener Tracks.

Just for understanding, what exactly will this flyover accomplish ? I understand it's use long term there is a need to give GO dedicated tracks on the Kitchener Corridor west of Bramalea, but is there a timeline for when that would actually happen, because from what I understood any such upgrades seem to be a while away. Unless the goal is for Metrolinx to finish this litigation, and they start on this project alongside the new Kitchener Tracks.

It will accomplish what is set out in paragraph 8 in the decision provided above:

[8] As to alternatives, there were none provided by the requestor. Mr. Olbrycht did testify they considered design options and costs. The grade separation and flyover were selected due to the existing volume of freight traffic on the CN rail and the projected traffic of GO trains. The flyover is preferred since it would allow GO trains to move freely from north to south, without conflict with CN traffic.

Just for understanding, what exactly will this flyover accomplish ?
And to be specific about the topology: looking westbound, ML trains enter the Halton sub from the south side of the shared corridor (from Weston sub, in Brampton) then exit the Halton sub on the north side of the shared corridor (to Guelph sub, in Georgetown).

It will accomplish what is set out in paragraph 8 in the decision provided above:

[8] As to alternatives, there were none provided by the requestor. Mr. Olbrycht did testify they considered design options and costs. The grade separation and flyover were selected due to the existing volume of freight traffic on the CN rail and the projected traffic of GO trains. The flyover is preferred since it would allow GO trains to move freely from north to south, without conflict with CN traffic.
I should've specified that I'm more interested in the timeline on when a 3rd track along the corridor will be available. Until GO gets dedicated tracks separate from CN, this flyover isn't really going to do anything.

I should've specified that I'm more interested in the timeline on when a 3rd track along the corridor will be available. Until GO gets dedicated tracks separate from CN, this flyover isn't really going to do anything.

The only public update that's available is from the February 2024 Metrolinx board meeting where they said it in December 2023 that CN started design work on the Halton Subdivision.

That's not really true at all. While a 3rd track is absolutely needed for future higher service levels through Brampton, we already have hourly all-day service to Mount Pleasant GO. This flyover means that these frequencies can be extended west to Georgetown and beyond (my assumption is that the Acton, Guelph, and Breslau passing tracks enable hourly on the Guelph Sub). Even in isolation, this project is a huge win for anything west of Mount Pleasant.

People did some sleuthing wayyyyyyyy back in the thread about the exact properties connected with the expropriation. This has been 2 years in the making.

Possible land expropriation for Kitchener Line grade separation?
Halton Hills newspaper includes an expropriation notice from Metrolinx for the following properties:
Part of 25059-0026, NW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0027, SW 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0063, NE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0065, SE 10th Line & Railway Corridor
Part of 25059-0066, NW Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0067, E 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd
Part of 25059-0150, W Wanless & Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0151, N 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, road allowance
Part of 25059-0190, 10444 Winston Churchill Blvd, Lots 12, 13, 14, 15
Part of 25059-0415, 10852 Winston Churchill Blvd

The Notice doesn't include a map. I don't have access to a map layer with property PINs but the Town of Halton Hills map site does include ownership boundaries, so I've starred the parcels I think are mentioned in the attached map.

Back