News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I think that's due to the numerous grade level crossings. Not sure though. Someone else on here probably knows better than I do.

It is supposed to be just 5 minutes though from Confederation GO to West Harbour GO once that is done. Which implies an average of 75km/h.
Crossings are all currently being upgraded.

It is supposed to be just 5 minutes though from Confederation GO to West Harbour GO once that is done. Which implies an average of 75km/h.

There's a math problem here. It's about 9.2 km from West Harbour GO to Centennial GO. If it only takes 5 minutes, then that would average 110 km/hr. Not 75 km/hr!

They aren't doing it in 5 minutes.

I hadn't realized that it's so far from East Harbour to Centennial. With that kind of distance, another station in between is worth considering. Perhaps at Gage Avenue?

Can't remember. @Chris R. might know more.
May have been related to the no longer planned additional track between West Harbour and Confederation. I'm not really sure why they cut that from the plan. Metrolinx loves to wait and see what ridership demand is before upgrading, but demand is low if the service is crap (see London GO service).

That being said, I can't recall where I had seen a similar number. I recall it being related to the LRT discussion as LRT would operate as an express tram service, while GO could offer express single stop from Stoney Creek to West Harbour for events and such when traffic and parking is a mess and LRT is likely to be packed.

There's a math problem here. It's about 9.2 km from West Harbour GO to Centennial GO. If it only takes 5 minutes, then that would average 110 km/hr. Not 75 km/hr!

I hadn't realized that it's so far from East Harbour to Centennial. With that kind of distance, another station in between is worth considering. Perhaps at Gage Avenue?
Might have been 7 minutes. That might have been where I got the 75km/h from, which would make sense at 9.2km. That would be 78km/h, which is entirely reasonable.

Ottawa st/Centre Mall area would make the most sense for an eventual infill station I think. Plenty of land available, and could kick off some redevelopment of the mall.

Ottawa st/Centre Mall area would make the most sense for an eventual infill station I think. Plenty of land available, and could kick off some redevelopment of the mall.
That's my hope one day too. Would be a good connection to Tim Hortons stadium too as it is only about a 15 minute walk through Ottawa St commercial street. They could also potentially have a shuttle service from the station to the stadium if that becomes a common mode of getting to the stadium.

Last edited:

Back