News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Some want a station near King/Queen/Dufferin as well.

It does make you wonder what it will do to travel times to 905 though.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to know how much but I hear that electric trains travel faster and accelerate faster.....If that "pick up" could be used to add more stops inside the 416 and that travel times from 905 were not too impacted then no one in the 905 would care much.......from Brampton I never hear people complaining about how long the train ride is...just that there are not enough trains....so if the trade off to get more trains is to get more riders inside the 416 to support the service then I doubt there would be much in the way of issue.

I would've thought a St Clair station would be added to the Georgetown line rather than Barrie line, since Georgetown seems closer to getting all day two way.

I would've thought a St Clair station would be added to the Georgetown line rather than Barrie line, since Georgetown seems closer to getting all day two way.

I would seriously hope that we're not going to have to pick and choose between lines getting AD2W - they all deserve it ASAP in my opinion.

This being said I feel like a St Clair station, or really the majority of infill stations, makes more sense on the Kitchener Line than Barrie. Kitchener runs through a lot of neighbourhoods which could really use greater transit access, while Barrie is quite close and parallel to the Spadina subway line and I feel could benefit more from retaining faster travel times up to places like York University and Vaughan. The one infill station I'll advocate for on Barrie is a station at Eglinton for Crosstown connectivity.

I would seriously hope that we're not going to have to pick and choose between lines getting AD2W - they all deserve it ASAP in my opinion.

This being said I feel like a St Clair station, or really the majority of infill stations, makes more sense on the Kitchener Line than Barrie. Kitchener runs through a lot of neighbourhoods which could really use greater transit access, while Barrie is quite close and parallel to the Spadina subway line and I feel could benefit more from retaining faster travel times up to places like York University and Vaughan. The one infill station I'll advocate for on Barrie is a station at Eglinton for Crosstown connectivity.

Well, Georgetown is way ahead of Barrie, from what I understand, due to all the work that's been happening in the last few years. Next year it should be double tracked and grade separated, ready for all day two way service.

Barrie, I drive by some parts of the line and it's only single tracked, no grade separation, so it seems years away from being ready.

Well, Georgetown is way ahead of Barrie, from what I understand, due to all the work that's been happening in the last few years. Next year it should be double tracked and grade separated, ready for all day two way service.

Barrie, I drive by some parts of the line and it's only single tracked, no grade separation, so it seems years away from being ready.

This is true, but what I mean is that the ultimate goal should be to get all of the lines upgraded to AD2W service, and that work should proceed on upgrading the infrastructure on all of the lines as much as possible in the next four years...before another provincial election could sink GO RER.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to know how much but I hear that electric trains travel faster and accelerate faster.....If that "pick up" could be used to add more stops inside the 416 and that travel times from 905 were not too impacted then no one in the 905 would care much.......from Brampton I never hear people complaining about how long the train ride is...just that there are not enough trains....so if the trade off to get more trains is to get more riders inside the 416 to support the service then I doubt there would be much in the way of issue.

To once again nip this in the bud....

Electric trains do not inherently provide any improved service. In fact, below about 32mph, an electric locomotive pulling coaches will probably accelerate at a slightly lower rate than the current MP40s do because they are generally lighter in weight (and therefore develop less tractive effort). Because an electric loco can pull down as much power as its traction motors need from the overhead, it can continue to accelerate at a higher rate right until it reaches its maximum geared speed, whereas the acceleration of a diesel loco will begin to drop off at point as the traction motors require higher and higher voltage.

If you want faster starts and stops, you need to use some sort of multiple unit railcar. Again, diesel and electric versions will have virtually the same acceleration curve to about 30 or 32mph, at which point EMUs win out.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Final copy of the Stouffville expansion EA is out:

$270 million dollar project (not including rolling stock or upgrades to the lakeshore line which would presumably need a 4th track), 30 minute off peak service to Unionville, hourly to Mount Joy. Double tracking to Unionville. With Electrification I wouldn't be surprised if those frequencies were halfed, with hourly to Lincolnville. (that would be for another further EA however)

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/improve/environmentalassessments.aspx

direct link to PDF: (WARNING, LARGE FILE)

Last edited:
Barrie Line St Clair station final design depends on resolution of CP North Toronto/Metrolinx Barrie grade separation, doesn't it?

EDIT: dear jeebus that GO consist looks dreadful in the new colours as depicted on the cover of the EA.

EDIT: dear jeebus that GO consist looks dreadful in the new colours as depicted on the cover of the EA.

I can't express how much I dislike the new colours. Together with the UPX colours and it looks like whoever selected them has colourblindness. Or really poor taste.

Seems like the Province is close to or has already completed the purchase of the Guelph Sub from CN/GEXR. Things are moving forward with a new yard in Kitchener.

That and it's absolutely necessary for the new service the Liberals promised. But I'm confused, the ESR recommended a storage facility in Baden, whatever happened to that? The Kitchener storage tracks were a temporary fix while there was haggling over property issues there, but I didn't think it was going to be bad enough that they would bail on it completely. Do they even have environmental clearance for the 200 Shirley Ave yard?

That and it's absolutely necessary for the new service the Liberals promised. But I'm confused, the ESR recommended a storage facility in Baden, whatever happened to that? The Kitchener storage tracks were a temporary fix while there was haggling over property issues there, but I didn't think it was going to be bad enough that they would bail on it completely. Do they even have environmental clearance for the 200 Shirley Ave yard?

All good questions. A yard in Baden could allow a station there (similar to Lincolnville, which is essentially a yard that allows passenger boarding) and/or a station in west Kitchener near Ira Needles. A yard at Shirley Avenue would require backtracking to Kitchener Station, though this is what GO does at Milton. I wonder if stations near Breslau and suburban Guelph are still on the way.

Consider it hearsay, but I've heard that there were objections over the conversion of farmland to Industrial.

This property is within the city, near other services, and is under-utilized existing industrial. Also, a decidedly local benefit, the GO trains that start here will not need to block King St twice a day. Fewer movements will likely make building the King St underpass that much simpler.

Further, (dunkalunk will see where I'm going with this) this site also provides an opportunity for a Park and Ride in a fairly ideal location within Kitchener. Looking at the alignment of New Highway 7, we see that there's an off-ramp that is directly opposite this property. If a parking lot is put at or near this property, then anyone in Kitchener-Waterloo would be able to take the expressway directly to the entrance of the parking lot.

GOshirley.jpg

Attachments

• GOshirley.jpg
    GOshirley.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,347

Back