News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was riding the Milton train home a few days I ago and saw the new platform at Bloor. I think it's great because the Milton trains don't have enough riders as is. I wonder if they can move Kipling station to Islington too. Kipling is technically in ECC but not the main part. Somewhere closer to Cloverdale/East Mall, like just west of Shornecliff might be a better location of a TTC/MT/GO interregional terminal and cut off the TTC/MT bus routes along Dundas. There's a crazy amount of buses there, similar to Yonge between Finch and Steeles. The current Kipling station doesn't serve Etobicoke Centre properly and yet it's not the optimal location for TTC/MT bus connections either so it's like the worst of both worlds. So I think it would be worthwhile to have a GO station further west and another station at Islington.

I was riding the Milton train home a few days I ago and saw the new platform at Bloor. I think it's great because the Milton trains don't have enough riders as is.
I didn't think there were any plans for Milton trains to stop at Bloor station. Am I wrong?

It seems like RH line would be lower priority due to the problems with the alignment/track and the fact that the Yonge subway is already there.

It's also due to having the lowest ridership compared to the other GO lines.

It's certainly possible, but at this point it's probably exceedingly unlikely (NIMBYism aside). You'd encounter issues surrounding the need to provide grade separation on the RH line at the request of CP to have the RH line cross from the south to the north side of the tracks. This grade separation would be further complicated by the need of a new railway bridge over the West Don Branch to the south of CP's existing trestle. Given this, I don't think the Leaside Spur Trail is getting converted back to a rail line anytime soon.

Then it looks like we'll be permanently stuck with the current alignment.

I didn't think there were any plans for Milton trains to stop at Bloor station. Am I wrong?

Oh my bad, maybe it's not for Milton, maybe for the ARL, I forgot about that. The new platform was right beside the Milton tracks, so I just assumed.

Then it looks like we'll be permanently stuck with the current alignment.

Not permanently, just not a priority. There's lots that could be done to connect the RH line to the Leaside rail corridor, but upgrading the Yonge line and building the DRL would be competing for the same pot of money.

Oh my bad, maybe it's not for Milton, maybe for the ARL, I forgot about that. The new platform was right beside the Milton tracks, so I just assumed.

The low platform with the new GO shelters is for the Georgetown line. The UP Express platform is a high platform. Milton line will not be stopping there since it has a subway connection at Kipling and there hasn't been made any provision for platforms on the two western most tracks which will be where Milton trains run. The only reason the Milton train is going past a platform now is because of ongoing construction.

It's certainly possible, but at this point it's probably exceedingly unlikely (NIMBYism aside).
I wouldn't put it aside. I visited the corridor recently, the right of way is very narrow, and it's not just close to the backyards, it's literally IN their backyards. Any kind of widening would probably require ackquisition of these properties which will amount to huge $$$ as well as huge legal problems, residents will probably fight this alignment to death, making any current problems with Weston seem like mere insignificant nuisance.

I wouldn't bet on any real effort to resurrect this right of way. If Don sub is ever going to be used, other connection options North of CP line are more likely than this one.

I wouldn't put it aside. I visited the corridor recently, the right of way is very narrow, and it's not just close to the backyards, it's literally IN their backyards. Any kind of widening would probably require ackquisition of these properties which will amount to huge $$$ as well as huge legal problems, residents will probably fight this alignment to death, making any current problems with Weston seem like mere insignificant nuisance.

I wouldn't bet on any real effort to resurrect this right of way. If Don sub is ever going to be used, other connection options North of CP line are more likely than this one.

Converting that bike path back to rail will never happen. There are some very expensive houses near there and I don't think that there is room for more than 1 track anyway.

I think that the only good solution is to build an underground subway running from Finch/Don Mills (or further north) to Union Station, via Don Mills/Overlea/Pape. This is the most expensive solution, but the Richmond Hill line takes a convoluted route which avoids most of the high density development in that area, and it the least useful of the GO lines to expand. Like other lines this railway was built in the 19th century long before the area around it was developed. Hopefully if you built both the first phase of this line north to Eglinton, and the Yonge subway to Major Mackenzie, then the Richmond Hill GO line could be shut down.

The only way I can see it getting a serious look at is a) Richmond Hill GO ridership explodes, and/or b) if VIA wants to considerably improve speeds into/out of Toronto. I wouldn't consider the latter to be likely, I don't think there will be HSR initiatives out west given the myriad of challenges along right-of-way alignments in the north.

It has become insurmountably more difficult only because the rail line was abandoned and converted. Had I been around for when it was originally proposed, I would have been raising hell about it.

Converting that bike path back to rail will never happen. There are some very expensive houses near there and I don't think that there is room for more than 1 track anyway.

Pages 17 & 22 of the following presentation show the width of the right of way.
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/transportation_services/cycling/files/pdf/project1-notice.pdf

Based on some measurements my guess for the width is 25m.

A 2 track system (including overhead wires and safety walkways) requires about 15m.
http://www.railway-technical.com/track.shtml

So, plenty of room for a 2-track system plus a walkway. Big losers...the residential owners who are used to this natural area. But they don't own it...they will have to suck it up.

Even if it is a bit narrower, giving up a bike trail for better mass transit may be better for the greater good. Would end up being a interesting fight. The bike and transit lobbies who both fight against cars will be fighting against each other.

Pages 17 & 22 of the following presentation show the width of the right of way.
http://www1.toronto.ca/city_of_toronto/transportation_services/cycling/files/pdf/project1-notice.pdf

Based on some measurements my guess for the width is 25m.

A 2 track system (including overhead wires and safety walkways) requires about 15m.
http://www.railway-technical.com/track.shtml

So, plenty of room for a 2-track system plus a walkway. Big losers...the residential owners who are used to this natural area. But they don't own it...they will have to suck it up.

Even if it is a bit narrower, giving up a bike trail for better mass transit may be better for the greater good. Would end up being a interesting fight. The bike and transit lobbies who both fight against cars will be fighting against each other.

This still doesn't get rid of the new bridge over the Don or grade separation from CP requirements.

As an aside, perhaps the Don Subdivision would be better used as part of a High-Speed Rail alignment connecting Union to Oshawa via the Gatineau Hydro Corridor.

Lets see: Burlington Station delay until spring 2015 due to weather and schedule to open summer 2013. Then This one.

Mean while, West Toronto Diamond delay by 2 months because of the winter with 6 inches of ice on the floor. Not much that could be done to stop the delay.

Burlington Brock 14s tower not delay, 1 York St not delay and hit grade as supposed to . Very few construction projects I follow saw any real delay.

As for late delivery of mesh, winter had nothing to do with it nor the placement of the decking. Not having the facades finish to open the structure is no reason for the delay. Safety items, yes for delay.

Pure poor management on GO/Metrolinx part for these delays and poooor planning.

Nice the pay parking spots open to start help recovering the cost. Wondering if any of the elevators are working yet??

I have an inquire into Metrolinx at this time about Burlington Station and wondering what or if I get a reply to my questions about accelerating the schedule for completion and a few other things.

Back