News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^Perhaps not completely blocked off, even at this low-flow season.....but certainly rerouted away from where they will have to work, and maybe to prevent erosion or downstream sediment flow....we don't want another Accidental Beach like Edmonton got ;-)

- Paul

Dec 16
They have removed the washroom at Kipling GO Station and now to be use for staff room. Still got a lot of work to be done yet.
50728535266_97113370c3_b.jpg

50728535166_2c2a32ea67_b.jpg

50728633497_460ae9a116_b.jpg

50728630577_f557361dfc_b.jpg

50728630692_f71ab5be64_b.jpg

50727805903_e430b777de_b.jpg

Dec 16
They have removed the washroom at Kipling GO Station and now to be use for staff room. Still got a lot of work to be done yet.
50728535266_97113370c3_b.jpg

50728535166_2c2a32ea67_b.jpg

50728633497_460ae9a116_b.jpg

50728630577_f557361dfc_b.jpg

50728630692_f71ab5be64_b.jpg

50727805903_e430b777de_b.jpg

Is there a replacement washroom for the public?

They probably figure riders will be satisfied going to pay a TTC fare, in order to use the washroom. Or just crossing over into the new bus terminal.

The reason the washroom was remove as it was non accessibly and no way it would comply with OADA requirements. Come Jan 4th, riders will have the option of using TTC washroom or the new Regional Hub assuming there is a washroom there. Both require riders to use the washroom before going to the GO Platform or after getting off a train and using X system. Otherwise, you will have to pay an extra fare or wait until you got on a GO train.

Transit systems not great in offering washroom use after long rides on X to get to a station, but love to take your money to ride it.

The reason the washroom was remove as it was non accessibly and no way it would comply with OADA requirements. Come Jan 4th, riders will have the option of using TTC washroom or the new Regional Hub assuming there is a washroom there. Both require riders to use the washroom before going to the GO Platform or after getting off a train and using X system. Otherwise, you will have to pay an extra fare or wait until you got on a GO train.

Transit systems not great in offering washroom use after long rides on X to get to a station, but love to take your money to ride it.

Hopefully, there will be plenty of shrubs, trees, and bushes in the surrounding landscaping for emergency use.

Seriously..... So the washrooms on trains, in the new bus terminal, and if you happen to take TTC after your train, which im sure many do, another one there.

There are 3 different options, thats more than enough. if you really need to use the washroom that bad walk a few extra steps, its good for your health.

Metrolinx is agonisingly slow when it comes to building railways and stations but they excel at building mega-garages at lightening speed.

Seriously..... So the washrooms on trains, in the new bus terminal, and if you happen to take TTC after your train, which im sure many do, another one there.

There are 3 different options, thats more than enough. if you really need to use the washroom that bad walk a few extra steps, its good for your health.
I think a lot of people who use kipling go are going to be driving in, so the TTC option is out, and it's not like the milton line runs very frequently, so missing your train is a huge wait.

I debated where to put this.............the concern is billed as environmental, in regards to ravine health; but would be precipitated by the LSE expansion project. I settled on here.

First, the report:

Second, a summation of the pertinent facts.

GO is set to move ahead with adding a 4th track to the LSE corridor, with some work to begin in 2021.

This corridor crosses a small ravine area just east of Coxwell Avenue which contain the remnants of Small's Creek.

The ravine section to the North is billed as Merrill Bridge; and to the south Williamson.

Small's Creek once ran, above ground, from just north of Danforth, to the Lake.

Most of it is buried today, except for a small section just north of the rail corridor, and again south to Gerrard; after which there is one tiny spot where it surfaces for a few meters before disappearing into pipes for good.

As part of the 4th Track project, Metrolinx would need to remove up to 267 trees (to be clear, most of these are not mature; but several would be); in order to re-grade, replace a culvert and add a new noise wall/retaining barrier.

A residents group says they don't oppose the project; but feel consultation was limited, Mx less than transparent, and would have liked to see if there were construction options that did less damage. Some would also like to see the Culvert made large enough to allow a walking path under the tracks between the two stretches of ravine.

Residents group page here: https://www.lakeshoreeasttrains.com/smalls-creek-and-merrill-bridge-park

My thoughts.

A) I support the LSE expansion, period.

B) There was consultation as early as 2016, I read many of the background reports at the time.

C) Mx as usual IS less than transparent, forcing the residents group to use an FOI (Freedom of Information request) to look at the engineering drawings. Talk about poisoning the well. The drawings don't make anything worse, they simply allow informed opinion and should have been shared openly from beginning or at the minimum, upon the first request.

D) There will be material environmental damage.

E) Appearances to the neighbours notwithstanding, the ravine is not in good health overall; its a very long way from pristine. But it is a nice little space for the area, and I'm not unsympathetic.

F) The restoration plan is fine as far as it goes, but won't replace what's been damaged, simply due to maturity of growth for at least 2-3 decades, and the new barriers will represent a permanent encroachment on a portion of the formerly natural area.

G) The above may well be unavoidable; ideally, any consideration of further mitigation would have happened 2-3 years ago.

H) The focus, in my mind, should be on 'compensation'. I don't mean cash paid to residents, but rather ecological compensation. This is where damage done to one area is offset in some way be adding to or restoring space in another.

There are plenty of options here; though I'm not sure how satisfied area residents would be with my suggestions.

One would be acquiring one or more ravine abutting properties, preferably ones that heavily encroach into said space, and adding the land back to the ravine, in whole, or in part.

The idea would be that if the ravine loses 0.4ha that you add back 0.6 or more somewhere else along this section, fully restoring the newly acquired space.

I) The idea of a walking path between the 2 sections of ravine, under the tracks, has its appeal; but would require a considerably larger culvert and/or bridge, and would, in fact, be a much more disruptive project. I wouldn't oppose that project; but residents concerned about tree cutting might. The expanded culvert will only be 2M wide, and not particularly tall; Assuming one added a 2.1M wide walking path; and a bit of space between that path and the creek, you would be more than doubling the size of the culvert; while it would also have to be considerably taller.

I would also oppose adding lighting; and would note that a culvert between 2 unlit ravines, under 4 railway tracks might not be a usable path much of the time for that reason.

Summation. I don't think project should be held up at this point; but it would be nice to see Mx compelled to make an effort at ecological compensation. Assuming that took the form of buying additional land to add back to the ravine corridor, this could be done in parallel to construction works and need not delay anything.

A picture of the ravine in question:

1608298639130.png

From: https://www.urbaneer.com/blog/merrill_bridge_road_dog_park

Aerial of ravine in question, from Streetview:

1608298767536.png

Just for illustration, below is an aerial view from TOMaps; is shows the northern fringe of this ravine area, and you can see how much many area homes encroach into the natural area.

Removing some of the worst offenders could substantially ameliorate the health of the ravine; and facilitate future daylighting efforts.

Whether residents would be impressed with my suggestion is another matter.

1608299117619.png

^ great summary. On other Metrolinx projects, I believe they've tried a 3:1 tree replacement ratio. Do you have a sense on if they will be doing that here for the 267 trees being removed? Are they going to do any new plantings? What do you think of the Mlx blog and the piece that says:

This is an opportunity for improvements to the water flow and natural environment. The current culvert is failing, and is largely blocked, causing flooding and erosion in the area. The new culvert will be adequatley sized, improve drainage and reduce flooding, and provide wildlife connectivity between the north and south side of the tracks.

“Installing a new culvert will help to minimize erosion, maintain proper water flow, control and reduce build up of standing rain water or snow, provide an exit for run off water and disperse water to support the surrounding natural foliage for many years to come,” said Emmanuel Essien, Metrolinx project manager

I think this touches on your point H) above?

^ great summary. On other Metrolinx projects, I believe they've tried a 3:1 tree replacement ratio. Do you have a sense on if they will be doing that here for the 267 trees being removed? Are they going to do any new plantings? What do you think of the Mlx blog and the piece that says:

I think this touches on your point H) above?

They are proposing an enlargement of the culvert; though strictly because the existing one has essentially failed at its south end; and the biggest risk here to property would be the undermining of the rail embankment should water seep into and saturate same.

The enlargement simply meets regulatory flooding standards.

The notion that wildlife will be significant users of a still narrow, short, dark culvert is tenuous at best. Perhaps the odd ambitious squirrel, LOL, not much else.

They will be doing new planting, I'd have to go back and look to see the numbers, but 3 to 1 is what makes sense for replacing mature trees (sometimes more); it would make no sense for smaller specimens, you'd just see most of them die off competing with each other.

As to erosion.............LOL.........opening up large flows may slightly reduce the risk of Mx's railway embankment eroding, but it will likely increase erosion downstream, since more water will be able to flow more quickly into Williamson Ravine.

Again, somewhat unavoidable; and would be best addressed by restoration work in the ravine south of the corridor, or by creating natural holding areas for excess water along the stream corridor, however, the amount of land for that here is severely constrained.

Back