News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Probably because CP Rail wasn't interested or was unwilling to share the land at the Leaside Yard. It's also a further deadhead trip to/from Union.
Yet CP has torn up all the tracks in the yard and left it vacant. Clearly receiving money for land that they aren't using would be a net benefit to them. It seems far more likely that CP wasn't approached with any offer. Yes, it is a further deadhead trip as compared to only going 2/3rds of the way up the line but they compared it to Whitby which is further and Mimico which is a similar distance on a line with much more traffic contention (i.e. the line to Leaside has no traffic and Lakeshore is the busiest).

FB_IMG_1635867422582.jpg

Ahead of the vegetation clearing noted above, I took a couple of pics of the work that's been going on just west of the Main Street Bridge.

Two images, taken Nov 2nd 2021:

1635894534066.png

1635894559647.png

@smallspy or @crs1026 may have insight into what's going on here.

Probably because CP Rail wasn't interested or was unwilling to share the land at the Leaside Yard. It's also a further deadhead trip to/from Union.
So why not include that in the report if that is the case?
Things like that don't exactly help to inspire confidence in Metrolinx or the accountability of government agencies in general.

So why not include that in the report if that is the case?
Things like that don't exactly help to inspire confidence in Metrolinx or the accountability of government agencies in general.
Metrolinx is not very forthcoming in general, but they seem to be extra secretive when it comes to their dealings with CN or CP. My guess is that they don't want to reveal any information which could compromise their negotiating position.

For example if Metrolinx reveals that CP is willing to do something (e.g. sell a yard), then CP will be able to overcharge Metrolinx since they know that Metrolinx will get a bunch of public pushback if the deal falls through.

@smallspy or @crs1026 may have insight into what's going on here.

My recollection from an earlier construction bulletin is that this is an access road to permit new retaining/sound walls and site prep for the fourth track addition. I wonder whether all those new steel beams will stick around when the grading for the trackage happens.

- Paul

Ahead of the vegetation clearing noted above, I took a couple of pics of the work that's been going on just west of the Main Street Bridge.
It's not clear to me how they are getting the fourth track through Danforth Station - every time I see drawings, it's very vague on that segment.

I'm also not sure what the status is on moving that station further east (because you can't have stations on curves). Every time I see another drawing, the location seems to have moved again.

Though now that Metrolinx has decided you can have stations on curves ... :)

Though now that Metrolinx has decided you can have stations on curves ... :)

The old prohibition on curving GO stations actually originated with CN, who nixed some early GO proposals because of reservations about sightlines. Since GO was a tenant in early days, their practice had to align to CN, so they stopped asking for something they knew CN would not allow.

I don't know how ML feels about curves today.

But yeah, the Danforth design seems to have changed repeatedly.

- Paul

The old prohibition on curving GO stations actually originated with CN, who nixed some early GO proposals because of reservations about sightlines. Since GO was a tenant in early days, their practice had to align to CN, so they stopped asking for something they knew CN would not allow.

I don't know how ML feels about curves today.

But yeah, the Danforth design seems to have changed repeatedly.

- Paul

CN was pretty gunshy about curved platforms, but CP didn't seem to really care too greatly.

It doesn't seem that Metrolinx really cares one way or another. It looks as if it has more to do with the firm working on the particular EA at that time. While Danforth has moved about 4 times depending on who was doing the EA, it's also not the only one where this has been the case - although it's probably the most extreme.

Dan

Retaining wall. The ground is a meter or two higher than the elevation of the rail line.

Dan

Do you know if they intend to move the current sound barrier wall closer to the track?

Seems like odd placement, given the location of the existing wall.

Do you know if they intend to move the current sound barrier wall closer to the track?

Seems like odd placement, given the location of the existing wall.
From what I've seen and can recall, the sound wall will eventually move to the top of the retaining wall and grow by a meter or two. But it will stay there for now. Doing it this way allows them to keep it in place until the new one is ready.

Dan

Back