News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

^ Great update. I posted a cool picture of the Davenport Overpass construction in that thread if folks are interested

Renderings of the new Long Branch GO Station from IO.

Artistic Rendering of Long-Branch-GO-Station-Entrance.png
Artistic Rendering of Long-Branch-GO-Station-Platform.png

- Kennedy, Agincourt, and Milliken stations all coming along well.

I beg to differ... That Milliken station construction has been going on forever (even before the pandemic) and can be hazardous to your health. I just twisted my ankle yesterday there because of all the construction going on. To get to and out of the boarding zone, you have to negotiate a maze. There was actually not much progress done in the past year. To make matters worse, GO is running the short trains even during rush hours and the seating is still limited to two people per pod of four. As a result the train I took was packed... the one that gets to Union at around 8:30AM.

Theres that "T" logo again. is this actually going to be a thing?

Meh. I’m okay with it – as long as it remains clear what the transit options are at each point. The “T” is already used on the GO bus stops. Those signs also include the GO logo.

TransLink uses a similar “T” at its stops and stations.

I beg to differ... That Milliken station construction has been going on forever (even before the pandemic) and can be hazardous to your health. I just twisted my ankle yesterday there because of all the construction going on. To get to and out of the boarding zone, you have to negotiate a maze. There was actually not much progress done in the past year. To make matters worse, GO is running the short trains even during rush hours and the seating is still limited to two people per pod of four. As a result the train I took was packed... the one that gets to Union at around 8:30AM.
It's been reported here and I tend to agree that EllisDon is stretched super thin and so the crews working the Stouffville stations are chronically understaffed and so things are definitely crawling along. Agincourt was advertised to be finished by the end of 2021. If by finished they meant only the station building and not the platforms and connecting tunnel then ok... but it's still a construction site. For Milliken it seems that most of the effort is going into the underpass (got to keep those drivers happy!) because compared to Agincourt, Kennedy and Unionville the platforms are way behind.

It's been reported here and I tend to agree that EllisDon is stretched super thin and so the crews working the Stouffville stations are chronically understaffed and so things are definitely crawling along. Agincourt was advertised to be finished by the end of 2021. If by finished they meant only the station building and not the platforms and connecting tunnel then ok... but it's still a construction site. For Milliken it seems that most of the effort is going into the underpass (got to keep those drivers happy!) because compared to Agincourt, Kennedy and Unionville the platforms are way behind.

I don’t understand ML’s approach to this project, in that the double tracking had no value without doing the new platforms and tunnels, yet the work was let such that the platforms and tunnels were an afterthought. And yes they have progressed slower than anyone would like.
One also wonders why they had to build “complete“ new stations when the older buildings were not that bad, and the intent is for a high frequency line where no one needs to remain on the platform for very long anyways.
However, having not travelled on this line since last fall, I was impressed at how much has changed since my last visit - in particular, the tunnelling and concrete pouring at stations is largely finished, platform steel has been mostly erected, and now the work is at the point of fitting out the platforms and applying cladding. It’s messy, yes, but one can see the end approaching.
Not finishing that bridge over the creek is inexplicable given the time since the contract was let.

- Paul

Renderings of the new Long Branch GO Station from IO.

I would be much happier with an “umbrella“ style canopy over each platform that doesn’t divide the width of the platform into a walkway and a shelter. Long Branch has extremely narrow platforms and having those narrow walkways next to full speed passing trains is a recipe for fatalities. Putting roofing on the platforms may be a good idea, but as headways are being reduced, the need for full all-weather indoor sheltering goes away.
Long Branch is in a tight spot and widening the platforms would not be cheap, but even three feet of added width would greatly improve safety and the ambience of the station.

- Paul

I don’t understand ML’s approach to this project, in that the double tracking had no value without doing the new platforms and tunnels, yet the work was let such that the platforms and tunnels were an afterthought. And yes they have progressed slower than anyone would like.
One also wonders why they had to build “complete“ new stations when the older buildings were not that bad, and the intent is for a high frequency line where no one needs to remain on the platform for very long anyways.
However, having not travelled on this line since last fall, I was impressed at how much has changed since my last visit - in particular, the tunnelling and concrete pouring at stations is largely finished, platform steel has been mostly erected, and now the work is at the point of fitting out the platforms and applying cladding. It’s messy, yes, but one can see the end approaching.
Not finishing that bridge over the creek is inexplicable given the time since the contract was let.

- Paul

One factor is how many trains GO is willing to run on Stouffville without the planned grade separations which haven't even started construction yet. They might be dragging their feet on double tracking and 2nd platforms if they won't run more than 2 trains per direction per hour. They could probably get that up and running pretty soon with another passing section north of Kennedy like they have south of Unionville. I worry that they're not even willing to run 2 trains pdph without the new grade separations.

What does matter for right now is getting at least one platform fully open, especially with the trains as full as they are right now. The platform restrictions are really hurting. That is where I'm getting the most frustrated in watching the incredibly slow pace of construction work.

If I may, far too much electrification discussion here in the Construction thread. I look forward to any construction related to electrification but for years now, and currently, there has been zero construction related to electrification.

I would be much happier with an “umbrella“ style canopy over each platform that doesn’t divide the width of the platform into a walkway and a shelter. Long Branch has extremely narrow platforms and having those narrow walkways next to full speed passing trains is a recipe for fatalities. Putting roofing on the platforms may be a good idea, but as headways are being reduced, the need for full all-weather indoor sheltering goes away.
Long Branch is in a tight spot and widening the platforms would not be cheap, but even three feet of added width would greatly improve safety and the ambience of the station.

- Paul
I couldnt agree more with everything you said, but unfortunately it's clear that Metrolinx doesnt see Long Branch as a critical station from a ridership point of view. Which means they probably would never see the benefit (from a cost-benefit point of view) of doing something like that.

Waiting for trains at Long Branch can be pretty dangerous, to the point you can feel the gust of wind from express trains zipping by.

it's clear that Metrolinx doesnt see Long Branch as a critical station from a ridership point of view
Long Branch should be a critical station, given its proximity to Hwy 427.

Right now, it takes way too long to go between Person Airport and stations on the LakeShore West Line (except Exhibition and Union) and the Niagara branch. People can save up to an hour if there is a direct bus between Long Branch and Person Airport (and along Hwy 407).

From Clarkson Go to Pearson Airport, the fastest route is LakeShore + UPExpress: 1h 8m. A direct bus from Long Branch to Person Airport is 15-20 mins. So the trip time could be reduced to 12mins LakeShore West train plus time on bus, which is roughly 30-40mins, nearly half an hour time savings.

I couldnt agree more with everything you said, but unfortunately it's clear that Metrolinx doesnt see Long Branch as a critical station from a ridership point of view. Which means they probably would never see the benefit (from a cost-benefit point of view) of doing something like that.

The problem is, LB is already a high enough passenger-count station, and use will grow as more density is added along the Lakeshore eg Lakeview.
So unless ML is telling people not to come, the station needs more appropriate safety margins already..
Rather than redeveloping now - the existing station is not particularly tired, but simply needs a second set of tunnels - I would say don’t spend the money until ready to add a fourth track, when it will be time to tackle the Brown's Line overpass and the bridge over Etobicoke Creek. That’s a much bigger undertaking, but it’s likely well below the life expectancy of what’s already built…. Any money spent between now and then will be a wasted investment.

- Paul

Last edited:

Back