News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

By the end of the year Unionville, Milliken, Agincourt, and Kennedy will be complete with brand new stations. What a transformation. Next up: Danforth, grade separations, and electrification. Hard to imagine East Harbour GO occurring quickly.
*minus the north half of the southbound platform at Kennedy, which will be where the SRT guideway is currently.

But yeah the Stouffville line will be fully double tracked as far as Unionville, except for the short segment through Scarborough Junction. They will easily be able to run every half hour or better to Unionville. Then again, given how much of a struggle it's been to get them just to run the service they already ran last September, I don't know what timeline we can expect for actual improvements.

There is no such thing as a “safe” level crossing….. well, maybe on the OBRY these days, but wherever train frequency is high, as it will be with RER, total grade separation is the proper goal, for both drivers and pedestrians. The limiting factor is simply how much money we can afford to spend at any point in time. As a matter of long term infrastructure planning, we should grade separate it all.

I’m very suspicious that the deferral of Scarborough Jct was not well thought out. It would be a multi year project that would constrain operations at a time when ML is almost ready to initiate 2WAD, and it’s big ticket item to boot. So much temptation for ML to say “hey, let’s not bother” when in a few years it may be badly needed…. I can’t see that junction performing well as a “flat” junction once train frequency rises.

Re Oncorr - clearly the trend has been for ML to do basic civil works itself. My suspicion is that Oncorr bidders don’t want to do this work because it takes them into controversial areas and potential delay/cost risks… a good example being the design for Small’s Creek. Vendors will not want to ride point on anything where there is public interface or contoversy - why should they? let ML and the pols answer to the public - and they will price anything that looks iffy much higher as they have less control over outcomes. Plus, it keeps them out of work that might cause them to add skills or workforce beyond their core focus. Once the roadbed is built (which is the source of controversy, and something that lots of local construction contractors do well) the Oncorr folks can focus on tracklaying, signalling, etc…. their core specialties. ML may have originally wanted to bundle it all, but found this division of roles cheaper and more expeditious overall.

- Paul
The issue here is one of reasonable cost benefit, a well designed level crossing can be very safe - we just don't design reasonable crossings in NA! There are a lot of other measures that would provide more benefits, safety and otherwise than removing every minor level crossing on the southern ST line, and I live right near it and cross them frequently!
Regarding the Stouffville Grade Separations, not sure if this update has been posted here.

So it's the City that asked for more grade separations. Havendale will be closed and a pedestrian bridge is proposed.

It's correct that these grade separation projects are part of the OnCorr contract, but Metrolinx has prepared the EA's and TPAP's in anticipation.

There are also plans for Kennedy Rd and Denison St in Markham.

ML seems serious about making the Stouffville Line fully grade separated to Unionville. It's hard to imagine running frequencies of even every 15 min with boom gates going up and down, so I'm pretty sure they're all going to happen, but given how long it's taking Steeles, we can get an idea of when this is all going to be done.
Rail systems across Europe and Asia, and numerous ones in NA do this. Calgary runs a better than 15 minute service on portions of its LRT with gates, its fine - design it well. We should focus on better stations, rolling stock etc.
IIRC Metrolinx is actually planning sub-10 minute frequencies on the Stouffville line, which triggered the need for it to be fully grade separated. There are lots of at-grade intersections planned to still remain along other parts of the 15-minute network, particularly on the Barrie Line.
I think the ST line service may not be as high as originally promised, sounds like 10 mins will be the max we are getting for the immediate rollout of electrification, but that doesn't matter much - clearly with double track and electrification more frequency should be achievable - if Metrolinx uses good signalling.

Fire Metrolinx's PR agent. Now. I am sick of this "X minutes or better" what a terrible way to entice people. Could you imagine any other professional PR firm doing this? "Our Lamborghini goes 20kmh or better!"

All I hear people repeat is that GO-RER will offer transit every 15 minutes. When the reality is that during peak service you will have stations with trains as often as every 5 minutes. But thats not what people remember. All they hear is the number 15 and parrot that.

NO, you tell people the best service level that will be offered. "Trains up to every 5 minutes"
You couldn't have picked a worse example. Cars are constantly advertised in inconsequential metrics like 0-60

Milliken GO Station and Grade Separation

C55D3BDE-EFD8-4F99-80A8-1B95559CC8A5.jpeg
A8FDC5B2-FE40-48D7-8315-F87A1372C307.jpeg
2BFB1100-3D71-4D64-A8E9-B7168368C67B.jpeg
DC58164E-619C-4D70-BBD6-6D1E7031B3F4.jpeg
672DE153-860C-4FBA-AC87-C6AE4C512B4D.jpeg
F2F59357-CA3D-4E53-ADA7-8539E15DF9DA.jpeg
D4F9707C-FD87-41B0-AB90-CDE0B1043D1F.jpeg
0F386215-13A7-4A59-90AB-FABDB06811DB.jpeg

If you visit the line, you will see trees that are too close to ML corridor or within that need to be trim or remove. They want to reduce the leaves on the rail in the fall

Metrolinx’ Annual Procurement Plan puts both Guelph Sub Package #1 (track and signals) and Package #2 ( Tree removal) in the $$$$ category, which is $15M - $100M. Even at the low end of the range, that’s a lot of tree cutting. I wonder if there were other items in there as well.

Package # 1 closed last October with the plan being to begin work this spring…. did it ever get awarded?

- Paul

Metrolinx’ Annual Procurement Plan puts both Guelph Sub Package #1 (track and signals) and Package #2 ( Tree removal) in the $$$$ category, which is $15M - $100M. Even at the low end of the range, that’s a lot of tree cutting. I wonder if there were other items in there as well.

Package # 1 closed last October with the plan being to begin work this spring…. did it ever get awarded?

- Paul
At $15 million that a lot of trees and other work for clearing, but got to be a lot more work over that level. Could be some grade separation taking place through Guelph, crossing work and a few bridge work or replacement. Without seeing the tender, its a guessing game at this time. Have driven Hwy 7 from Georgetown to Kitchener a number of times and see a lot of issues that need to be fix to get to 15-30 minute service.

Edit:
No idea if #1 awarded and should be since is election time. (Contract has been awarded at $62m) Click award

To achieve the capacity, agility and scale required to handle the increased demand Metrolinx is looking to engage Contractors to execute and manage construction services pertaining to the Kitchener Corridor Expansion– Package I, which includes station expansion, track and signal work, maintenance of way track work, removal of slow orders and drainage improvements. Works will occur on the Metrolinx-owned Guelph Subdivision.
Proposed Issuance:
Metrolinx anticipates that the Tender will be issued mid to late summer 2021, with construction anticipated in early 2022 through to the end of 2023. Interested Contractors are encouraged to monitor the MERX website for additional information relating to this proposed procurement.

This is for building the new south platform for Guelph and other work for Guelph I expect

A contract for PT-2021-CMLE-394: Breslau Tree Removals has been issue at $900,000.

If the line is to go Hourly or every few hours to London, lots of work to be done beside replacing a few bridges. Sounding of the train horn will be an issue in many location once more than 2 trains a day take place for GO.

Last edited:
Looks like the contract for the 4th track between Lansdowne and Black Creek was awarded on March 30th to Grascan Construction for $57.6 million. Link here, and click "award" on the left hand side. Glad to see this project moving forward.

Just to give everyone not familiar w/the sub a sense of where this is and what distance is involved I made a quick drawing on a map:

1649863890072.png

Looks like the contract for the 4th track between Lansdowne and Black Creek was awarded on March 30th to Grascan Construction for $57.6 million. Link here, and click "award" on the left hand side. Glad to see this project moving forward.
I thought of posting it as I was reading the award contracts, but was side track.

With the 4th track (Track 1) going up to Black Creek, it will require major changes at the Bloor station and maybe work for the expansion of St Clair bridge as well for Gunns Rd grade separation. Track 1 is still in place for the fly-under

Stand to be corrected, this will make Metrolinx Weston Subdivision 4 tracks up to Halton Sub with the exception for 401/409 and Etobicoke North station. Still have to add track 1 at Weston GO Station and was been prepare for it the last time I was there. Same for Mount Dennis.

Still need a 2nd track for the Milton Line, but until all day service arrives for it, it not needed at this time.

Then there is still the 2 tracks for the Barrie line to be done, but only need 1 until the 2nd track for the diamond is almost done in 2023.

Grascan has done a number of projects for ML starting with the West Toronto Grade Separation. They also did the Gardiner rebuilt and hoping to get the next phase.

Back