News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Metrolinx doesn’t give a damn about making their rail corridors easier to cross safely. They’d rather install more and more barriers than build a few new pedestrian crossings, like at Floral Parkway/Bridgeland or across the Kitchener Corridor.

Broadly, I think we need an approved policy guideline that says distance between legal, safe, crossings in an urban area, should not exceed 500M

I say guideline, because I believe in giving policy makers discretion, unless they refuse to use it or refuse to use it wisely.

Not every single point on the line requires such a crossing, and doubtless there are compelling cases in spots for more frequent crossings.

But when major projects come up, this should be a considered issue, every single time.

First of all, what is the 100 year flood plan look like for this creek?? This will determined what is needed to deal with that flood water.
I went through the HEC modelling last year. Currently (if they were to fix the outflow from the existing culvert) on the upstream side, the water ponds up to about 1/3 of the height of the embankment - much higher than the culvert. While this exceeds a railway design standard, it's not really an issue because of high high the embankment is.

With the new culvert, it's design so the 100-year storm causes minimal, if any (I'd have to check) water above the top of the culvert. But also so the peak flow rate downstream of the culvert doesn't change (but changes the timing and length of the peak - it's going to be earlier now. Essentially they are removing an inadvertently created on-line storage pond.

I feel ML thinks this tunnel will deal with the 100 year flood issues as well the cheapest way to deal with it as well allowing a 4th track to be added at a future date.
The old design met the storm just fine. Given just how much of the existing area upstream wasn't flooding, and is all parkland, even greatly exceeding the 100-year storm wouldn't do anything but flood the ravine.

Assuming the embankment is solid.

I went through the HEC modelling last year. Currently (if they were to fix the outflow from the existing culvert) on the upstream side, the water ponds up to about 1/3 of the height of the embankment - much higher than the culvert. While this exceeds a railway design standard, it's not really an issue because of high high the embankment is.

With the new culvert, it's design so the 100-year storm causes minimal, if any (I'd have to check) water above the top of the culvert. But also so the peak flow rate downstream of the culvert doesn't change (but changes the timing and length of the peak - it's going to be earlier now. Essentially they are removing an inadvertently created on-line storage pond.

The old design met the storm just fine. Given just how much of the existing area upstream wasn't flooding, and is all parkland, even greatly exceeding the 100-year storm wouldn't do anything but flood the ravine.

Assuming the embankment is solid.

A user with HEC modelling experience 👏

Sounds as if Metrolinx is preparing for a fourth serviceable track at Bramalea? The south platform is already connected to the south parking lot by way of a surface crossing over a disused industrial spur. Reactivating and upgrading that spur track for passenger service and extending it along the platform towards the Weston Sub would require a grade separated connection to the south parking lot.

So it it’s interesting news.
Yes that platform has been under construction for the last 3 months now... the tunnel however isn't there yet... my guess is the current 4th track will be extended to Peel and the 5th will be the new dead-end track.

Wow didn't know about this OnCorr project! Is there a video explaining this project? I can't seem to find much on this.

^ It predates the OnCorr contract but when it was done Metrolinx said it would make sense to wait to install the tracks on either in end at the same time as the OnCorr tracks and for coordination purposes. So I'm sure the physical tracks through the tunnel are part of the OnCorr contract.

Hadn't seen this from Metrolinx, but I might just be late to the game:
Fj3PBk4XwAAxjBs.jpg

Muddling through OLT files, cause what else does one do on a day off, when the weather is at it is.......? LOL

I came across this; and wondered, do we know about this, did I forget about this?

1671140895268.png

^ Was this about the connection between TTC Dundas West and GO Bloor?

It was always understood that the government had begun to expropriate as negotiations weren’t successful.

Once the project got traction, the end settlement has dropped out of sight.

- PUl
Does the cancelled hearing indicate that negotiations resumed, or is it more likely to just be that it's been postponed for whatever reason?

Back