News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Screenshot_2023-11-06_180253.jpg

Look at the Guelph Sub glowing up. Some double tracking, better stations, and improved speeds. Much better than the not so distant Genesee & Wyoming era.

My understanding is that the existing Guelph GO platform will be getting a similar treatment to the new one, but that’s a separate construction package.
It's exciting to see. And judging by the passenger numbers mid day with students Guelph Central is going to become very popular once there's all day service. The best short term win right now will be weekend service.
Is it just me or is naming a train station for a tree kinda dumb? Shouldn’t it be named for the town it’s close to?

Not that I expect any better from Metrolinx and trying to keep to their supposed station naming schemes. See the Eglinton station on the Eglinton line. Where is it? Who knows.
I mean Stouffville is already taken. I'd rather have a shorter name like "Old Elm" than a more complicated one like "Allendale Waterfront". I like it because Old Elm is short and describtive of the area. Just like Old Mill. Plus GO already has an 'Old' station name.... Old Cummer.

Is it just me or is naming a train station for a tree kinda dumb? Shouldn’t it be named for the town it’s close to?

Not that I expect any better from Metrolinx and trying to keep to their supposed station naming schemes. See the Eglinton station on the Eglinton line. Where is it? Who knows.
I just wish they named the trips "Stouffville-Old Elm" or something similar on the departure board to make it easier for riders. We finally got used to looking for Lincolnville (another place no one has heard of) and now it's changed again. And it's the Stouffville Line, not the Old Elm line, so the boards should reflect the name of the line somehow.

Well, there is a Maple, so there's that.

I used to live in the area and don't know the history being Old Elm, but a lot of station names have historic nods, even if they are unknown now or, at best, a neighbourhood of some larger urban area now. Think of Langstaff, Mount Joy, Port Credit, and many others.

I don't think adding the line's name to every station stop, like Stouffville-Old Elm, is particularly helpful.

I just wish they named the trips "Stouffville-Old Elm" or something similar on the departure board to make it easier for riders. We finally got used to looking for Lincolnville (another place no one has heard of) and now it's changed again. And it's the Stouffville Line, not the Old Elm line, so the boards should reflect the name of the line somehow.
Or alternatively just switch to the (far superior) lettered lines that were proposed years ago? GO should be switching to these lettered lines sooner than later, could you imagine if the TTC still only used Youge-Univserity/Bloor-Danforth in 2023? Or if GO bus routes were still named instead of numbered?
IMG_5089.jpeg

Last edited:
Maple is the historic name of the town where that station was (and is) located.

Old Elm is a single tree located on the property.

The two are not equal at all.

Dan
I’m not familiar with the area around Old Elm GO, but what was Lincolnville named after in that area? A nearby road?

I’m not familiar with the area around Old Elm GO, but what was Lincolnville named after in that area? A nearby road?
The station was referred to by the provisional name of Stouffville North before adopting the Lincolnville name partway through construction.[5][6] Historically, Lincolnville is the name of a hamlet which was located at the corner of Bloomington Road and Highway 47 (Old Concession 10 Road), divided between the townships of Uxbridge to the east and Whitchurch to the west.[7] On October 16, 2021, the station was renamed Old Elm GO after an elm tree located on the premises of the new station along Tenth Line.[8]

Small question for anyone who might know. would it be physically possible to ever operate trains to a re-activated CN (LiUNA) Station for additional platforms next to West Harbour? Or does the geometry just not work? Intuitively it appears it’s decidedly one station or the other, but there are other factors that have inhibited the use of Liuna (private ownership) that get in the way of answering this. Let’s ignore those factors.

If the CN Station was transferred to Metrolinx / VIA for use as a station and the goals were to use the original platform locations, then the main obstacle is the demolition of the basement that has been built under the CN station concourse, and the removal of the GO parking lot and grade adjustments that were made to build it. The GO station as built looks like it has minimized its footprint in the original rail corridor so really the obstacle is less the GO station and more the parking structure. The James St and John St bridges remain wide enough. Basically the project to move to service to the CN station would be mostly a demolition project, the GO station could likely remain in service during the demolition and fit out of the old CN station.

Small question for anyone who might know. would it be physically possible to ever operate trains to a re-activated CN (LiUNA) Station for additional platforms next to West Harbour? Or does the geometry just not work? Intuitively it appears it’s decidedly one station or the other, but there are other factors that have inhibited the use of Liuna (private ownership) that get in the way of answering this. Let’s ignore those factors.
Easiest way to expand West Harbour is to add a 3rd track on the north side of the station serving the other side of Platform 2 beside the CN mainline. I can't see why the station would need any more capacity than this for the forseeable future.

I saw a reference to deferral of Guelph Central Station works in an article relating the woes of that’s city’s finances following provincial restriction of development charge powers. Is that about supporting works such as bus loops? I didn’t think any city other than Toronto was co-funding Metrolinx works?
My interpretation is that it's strictly related to municipal bus facilities, but can't confirm without a report or something.

Some work is being done on the Stouffville Line at the level crossings at Unionville Main Street and McCowan. Workers are removing vegetation around these crossings. Any idea what is happening?

Back