News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's going to be interesting to see the results of Metrolinx's 2051 Strategic Transit Plan that they've out sourced to HDR Inc.

In her report for the 30-Nov Board Mtg, the Chief Planning Officer specifically ties the work to MTO's 2022 Transportation Plan. "The updates will bring the RTP into conformity with Connecting the GGH: A Transportation Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, the multimodal plan for the region released by the province in 2022." so the work should move the 33 transit plans a little further down the plan-design-construct path.
1701463642922.png

She also states "We are targeting the submission of a draft RTP to the Ministry of Transportation at the end of the first quarter in the 2024-25 fiscal year.", which I think means June 2024. So hopefully we will get to see the results by September of that year.

Nah, I've seen you grumpy, PE, this is not that.

I'm not a huge fan of added fantasy drawings for the simple reason that there's not an unlimited pile of money, and there are other priorities in the queue with varying degrees of real traction that all but preclude this getting serious attention, even at a planning level in the next decade.

That said, I would consider the use of the CPKC corridor from the Junction eastwards to be mostly straight forward and viable, because the majority can accommodate 2 dedicated tracks for GO.

There would be some seriously expensive bridges, and some retaining walls, but its not that pie-in-the-sky, because CPKC can retain in its existing capacity, and even add over-night capacity assuming GO would not run a midtown line 24/7.

West of the Junction, room can also be found for additional GO Tracks, however, if you continue to run a distinct GO Milton service to Union, that's a lot more traffic to manage, and it limits the potential service profile of any 'crosstown' type service from that point west.

Toronto Yard has lots of spare room, 72 tracks have been removed; but ensuring no conflicting movements would likely require some costly re-arranging.

View attachment 523690

The outlined portion of Toronto yard is all former (removed) track, about 75 acres worth.
Drone shots Dec 2
DJI_0015.jpeg

DJI_0034.jpeg

DJI_0012.jpeg

DJI_0026.jpeg

Work is coming along nice for the new track and platform at Exhibition Station this weekend.

Not a trace of the ticket building any longer.
Z8P_3247.jpg

You can only really see the old platform from Platform 2(Westbound tracks)
Z8P_3248.jpg
Z8P_3249.jpg
Z8P_3250.jpg

No onto the new platform/tracks.
All the track seems to be installed. All that's left is evening out the ballast and finishing the gap in the platform
Z8P_3251.jpg
Z8P_3252.jpg
Z8P_3253.jpg
Z8P_3258.jpg

Last shot of the north stairwell for the temporary bridge.
Z8P_3261.jpg

Went by Exhibition GO again today to see how things are coming along on the relocated track/platform 1. I didn't realize this before but the section at the bottom and West of Atlantic Ave will not have a platform any longer, due to it shifting east 2-300 metres (my best guess). I can't recall if the final station design has them that far east or if it's just temporary to make the relocations easier.

The time I arrived today seemed to be impeccable, as the ballast tamping machine was rolling by the area by the tunnel entrance/Atlantic Ave. Decided to take a video of it doing it's thing!

Z8P_3263.jpg

Ballast tamping machine making it's way through. You can see where the new platform ends but a path will be built to this tonight is my guess.
Z8P_3269.jpg
Z8P_3286.jpg
Z8P_3289.jpg
Z8P_3296.jpg

Z8P_3298.jpg

Now on the south side of the station looking at the stairs to the temporary pedestrian bridge.. now featuring handrails!
Z8P_3299.jpg
Z8P_3302.jpg

Z8P_3303.jpg

A large indoor shelter/waiting area for the new platform is seen from platform 1.
Z8P_3305.jpg

And now the rest of the batch

Z8P_3309.jpg

You can see how much further East the new platform goes to.
Z8P_3311.jpg
Z8P_3313.jpg

The waiting newly built waiting areas on the south side indicates Platform 1 will also be shifting.
Z8P_3315.jpg

Z8P_3317.jpg
Z8P_3319.jpg
Alre
Z8P_3322.jpg

Already some of the old tracks for platform 4 have been removed.
Z8P_3325.jpg

Work is coming along nice for the new track and platform at Exhibition Station this weekend.

Not a trace of the ticket building any longer.
View attachment 524433

You can only really see the old platform from Platform 2(Westbound tracks)
View attachment 524434View attachment 524435View attachment 524436

No onto the new platform/tracks.
All the track seems to be installed. All that's left is evening out the ballast and finishing the gap in the platform
View attachment 524437View attachment 524438View attachment 524439View attachment 524440

Last shot of the north stairwell for the temporary bridge.
View attachment 524441
Love the GO Kotsy 'wayfinding'? Nice work.

As I was leaving the station parking lot, a development sign caught my eye.

TOD coming?

If you wanna try teasing apart the official plan, knock yourself out.

We have a thread for that!

Maybe somebody can mark up those aerial photos to indicate where the Greenbelt begins

- Paul

Greenbelt doesn't come anywhere near here, (the area adjacent to the station.)

1701812468370.png

The Old Elm site is just beyond the built-up urban area of Stouffville (just), at the north east corner.

Last edited:

Back