More up on my site for the 3rd track east of West Harbour GO Station

53387054221_5fc13fbfb2_b.jpg

53387359329_1407ea328d_b.jpg

53387236843_f6bfc9a4c9_b.jpg

53387359404_c6a1f7030a_b.jpg

53387359429_8461ea5fcc_b.jpg

53387236968_80f52dd539_b.jpg

53387054491_fcbb583c3f_b.jpg

Thanks. I'm still curious as to how far the third track will actually go before merging back into the CN tracks. It looks like it's going to extend more than just a few metres.. but how far exactly?

Thanks. I'm still curious as to how far the third track will actually go before merging back into the CN tracks. It looks like it's going to extend more than just a few metres.. but how far exactly?
If this construction notice is accurate, the third track would connect near the Mary Street pedestrian bridge, about 500 metres from the end of the platform.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 3.39.29 PM.png

My 2nd shot is from Mary Street bridge that shows the 3rd is going further east of it as well pass Ferguson Ave overpass, but could be wrong
Is the plan to have this stretch similar to the Lakeshore East setup from Pickering to Oshawa? Or is there no room for Metrolinx to run parallel , dedicated tracks?

Is the plan to have this stretch similar to the Lakeshore East setup from Pickering to Oshawa? Or is there no room for Metrolinx to run parallel , dedicated tracks?
Original plan was an entirely new track for GO between West Harbour and Confederation. Evidently that wasn’t needed, and they’re just doing the tie in track. That corridor isn’t that busy, and if local freights can stay out of the way of GO trains it will be fine.

I do hope upgrades to the existing tracks and crossings occur so trains can go faster, though.

Original plan was an entirely new track for GO between West Harbour and Confederation. Evidently that wasn’t needed, and they’re just doing the tie in track. That corridor isn’t that busy, and if local freights can stay out of the way of GO trains it will be fine.

I do hope upgrades to the existing tracks and crossings occur so trains can go faster, though.
At some point in the future, a 3rd track/siding for both systems will be require once headway start to fall and get to 15 minutes.

Again, it doesn't have to be 100% focus on Toronto with Hamilton being its own hub to service other areas and using shorter trains.

regarding OnCorr’s use of Obico for GO Expansion - are the staging tracks they will use owned by TTC now or a part of the former yard not included in TTC’s acquisition?

regarding OnCorr’s use of Obico for GO Expansion - are the staging tracks they will use owned by TTC now or a part of the former yard not included in TTC’s acquisition?
Not a clue. We only heard about it the first time the other day. I’m sure Metrolinx will just expropriate whatever is needed.

i still find it stupid that ML didnt bother to revise their standards for the raised wheelchair platform portion to be flush with the platform edge for tracks they use exclusively.
there is no fear of freight trains being too wide for it and its just so 1900s to need to drop a metal board to bridge the gap every singe stop.
I think it might have to do with the new trains they MIGHT be getting that COULD have platform level boarding..

I would say GO is absolutely committed to level boarding.....one day.
Just about every lamp post and curb in those pictures are clearly future proofed for level boarding.
I just don't get how people can believe that GO can say "OK, let's do level boarding" and wave a magic wand and make it happen over night. It will be a major construction program (think new drawings for every inch of GO platforms just to tender the work and manage the details....never mind the construction impacts....every platform having to go through a "doors will only open in cars a-f" period, and CSA's having to remember which station has what loading platform and all that....)
It makes absolutely no sense to start that program when GO has so many transitions and so much other construction going on. Clearly, level boarding can wait. Our children will be glad when it happens, and I'm sure it will.
Right now, we need other things more.

- Paul
What's crazy is that even if GO finishes electrifying some of the lines, They'll have to rip up these station platforms just to have them be level platform ready.

Back