News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Jan 14
More up for Bloor Work on my site

That wasn't a short move to the east for the Bloor Bridge and you can see where the bridge was originally.
53468617795_0419370ee7_b.jpg

53468515564_96584d33e0_b.jpg

53468617500_6637762134_b.jpg

53467289712_e7874a8d33_b.jpg

53468514569_709aaa559a_b.jpg

53468514404_944b194dd1_b.jpg

53468514104_21d3afed05_b.jpg

Last edited:
It wouldn't be the first time Metrolinx designed a GO station to be accessed directly from a pair of on-street bus stops.

Finch-Kennedy GO Station
Finch-Kennedy_2_-_new.jpg

Milliken GO Station
112-_MX_RER-GS-Looking_East_at_the_Steeles_Ave._Grade_Separation-2023-06-05_1

The reason that @Islington Express Bus 's design is necessary is that there isn't enough room under the centre and south spans to fit four tracks plus two platforms. We would need the north track to go through the north span, which means that the road that currently occupies it needs to be realigned elsewhere.

The EMU yard is still shown on the OnCorridor PIC#3 materials dated November 2020, which is long after they'd decided to electrify the entire Kitchener line (not just UPX):
View attachment 533601

When you say "decided to electrify the entire Kitchener Line", you mean just to Bramalea right?

Jan 14
More up for Bloor Work

That wasn't a short move to the east for the Bloor Bridge and cand see where the bridge was originally.
53468617795_0419370ee7_b.jpg

53468515564_96584d33e0_b.jpg

53468617500_6637762134_b.jpg

53467289712_e7874a8d33_b.jpg

53468514569_709aaa559a_b.jpg

53468514404_944b194dd1_b.jpg

53468514104_21d3afed05_b.jpg

Great to see pictures of the completed "shift" of the bridge span over Bloor St which was originally installed during the Georgetown South Project. It was a topic discussed here several times over the years. cc @crs1026.

Some type of singal cable? work has been slowly happening over the past month at Kitchener GO. I'm assuming this is preliminary work for the construction of the new station platform, which is scheduled to start this quarter if the date hasn't slipped.

1000004365.jpg

Last edited:
Some type of singal? work has been slowly happening over the past month at Kitchener GO. I'm assuming this is preliminary work for the construction of the new station platform, which is scheduled to start this quarter if the date hasn't slipped.

View attachment 534130
I doubt that the construction at the current Kitchener GO station has anything to do with a new platform, given that Kitchener GO is not going to receive any additional platform. The second platform in Kitchener is being provided as part of the new Kitchener Central Station at King Street that will replace the current Kitchener station. The original timeline for that was to have the first phase of Central Station open by Q3 2023 (just the train platforms and bus loop) but obviously that didn't happen.

Last edited:
That means that you don't need to Whistle at the next crossing. I doubt it has anything to do with construction.

The construction also has nothing to do with a new platform, given that Kitchener GO is not going to receive any additional platform. The second platform in Kitchener is being provided as part of the new Kitchener Central Station at King Street that will replace the current Kitchener station. The original timeline for that was to have the first phase of Central Station open by Q3 2023 (just the train platforms and bus loop) but obviously that didn't happen.

I am referring to the new station in my post, I'm aware the platform is moving. I said it that way because the platform work and station work are different levels of government. The latest timeline to the public for work start was Q1 this year (as of May 2023).

Preliminary work (has wrapped) was happening at the end of last year around the site of the new station. There is likely still more preliminary work needed, which is why I'm inquiring about what the cable work would likely be (behind the sign).

Last edited:
I am referring to the new station in my post, I'm aware the platform is moving. I said it that way because the platform work and station work are different levels of government. The latest timeline to the public for work start was Q1 this year (as of May 2023).

Preliminary work (has wrapped) was happening at the end of last year around the site of the new station. There is likely still more preliminary work needed, which is why I'm inquiring about what the cable work would likely be (behind the sign).
Okay, my confusion was due to your photo and text both refering to the current Kitchener GO Station, which is not where the new platform is being constructed.

The update you linked indicates "completion" of phase 1 in 2027, which is a whopping 4 years later than the projected opening date from the project update two years earlier. Hopefully the station would be able to open before it's fully complete, to enable counter-peak service to begin.

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s been mentioned yet but the Aurora GO platform is currently being shifted south around 100 metres
I hadn't realized. Thanks for the heads up.

It's not mentioned in their description of the project:
We’re making improvements at Aurora GO Station that will accommodate more service options and provide better customer access. These improvements include:
• constructing a second platform;
• installing a second track;
• upgrading rail signal;
• newly constructed passenger pick-up/drop-off area;
• new exit at Berczy Street;
• 380 new overflow parking spaces at 9 Scanlon Court;
• extension of south pedestrian tunnels with elevators; and,
• installing edge tactile tile on the existing east platform for improved accessibility.

EDIT: So apparently it's just a temporary shift to accommodate work zones during the station reconstruction.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 16.21.19.png

Last edited:
Okay, my confusion was due to your photo and text both refering to the current Kitchener GO Station, which is not where the new platform is being constructed.

The update you linked indicates "completion" of phase 1 in 2027, which is a whopping 4 years later than the projected opening date from the project update two years earlier. Hopefully the station would be able to open before it's fully complete, to enable counter-peak service to begin.

The plan since early 2021 has been to have the site phased. Phase 1 is the most critical portion of the project and it's expected to be done in 2027, it is also the only part funded, it will contain Metrolinx platforms, tunnels, and amenities, it will also include the regions bus terminal, pickup/drop off facilities, bike parking and a pedestrian bridge over King Street. Phase 2 is for the actual station building which isn't funded yet so more than likely it will be modified between now and whenever they decide to build it (2030s). An interesting thing to note is that the region is still planning on having apartments/condos above the Rumpel Felt building, Pickup/drop off lot and the station building itself so it's conceivable that the region might wait around a bit for a private developer to come their way before they go all out on the station building. If not the station building itself is being designed such that there is "allowance for future overbuild".

In terms of actual construction there has been some work occurring around the future station for phase 1 already. Duke Street (very end of the future station platforms) was closed for weeks this past summer as gas lines were relocated. The region has built portions of the MUT that runs from the Iron Horse Trail to the future station, various sections of this are missing or got delayed for a whole variety of reasons, the Joseph St connection is missing because of the construction at UW's Innovation Arena (Velocity), the crossing of the CN Huron Park spur at the end of Joseph was delayed because of the construction of Google's parking garage. Then the entire Stewart Ave connection is missing as hydro relocations haven't happened yet (were supposed to happen in late 2022).

Another complication to the matter is staging for construction, the region was originally planning on using the regionally owned property at Weber/Victoria as a staging area and future off site parking for the station, however that is currently an encampment and the region cannot evict anyone on the property per the court ruling this past summer.

Another complication to the matter is staging for construction, the region was originally planning on using the regionally owned property at Weber/Victoria as a staging area and future off site parking for the station, however that is currently an encampment and the region cannot evict anyone on the property per the court ruling this past summer.
well, they could, but they would have to go back to the Court and provide evidence that they actually have spaces (rather than throw out a number that gets demolished on cross examination because many of the spaces claimed were dedicated to specific purposes).

Those spaces would not need to be merely beds but, as set out in the judgment (embedded in the article at bottom of link below) provide multiple options which actually address the various reasons why people would sleep in the open rather than use them (security, ability to depend on the bed being available the following night, being able to accommodate couples, people with substance abuse issues, people who experienced violence in coed shelters etc.)

Re: Stouffville line grade separation at Progress Avenue.

The TTC published a report on the busway construction on the north south SRT alignment and also discussed possibilities around the east-west. The report includes plates which indicates the busway terminating immediately south of Ellesmere Station.

at the same time, the Progress grade separation EPR notes the requirement to build an access road for Atlantic Packaging, which fronts onto Progress on the south side immediately west of the current grade crossing.

It doesn’t seem to me feasible or desirable to retain the SRT tunnel under the Stouffville line and industrial spur in any scenario, but it occurs to me that if infilled, then not only does that remove an ongoing maintenance/safety burden, but it would create an opportunity not available during the EPR consultation to present an alternative exit for Atlantic to the south over the former tunnel land and turning onto what was the northside Ellesmere loop road using a similar connector to the busway’s to the south, reducing some traffic burden in the construction zone at Progress. If this then resulted in Metrolinx contributing $ to something TTC might end up doing anyway (the tunnel infill), all the better.

1705807639414.png

Back