News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Has construction for this electrification started anywhere along the line? I mean, has the actual electrification infrastructure actually started being installed (overhead wires, signals, etc)? I don't consider grade separation work the start of electrification.

There is lots of behind the scene preparation, but I'm not aware that they have started any actual work on substations, feeders, or OCS.

The Downsview Park station platform is an example of a platform that has been fully grounded - whether that's a test installation or the start of a program I can't say. Lots of the signalling includes added work to ensure compatibility with OCS. And any bridge or overhead construction and structures being built have electrification protection included. So one can say it has started.... but the obvious main steps have not, and won't until ONExpress is fully in charge.

- Paul

There is lots of behind the scene preparation, but I'm not aware that they have started any actual work on substations, feeders, or OCS.

The Downsview Park station platform is an example of a platform that has been fully grounded - whether that's a test installation or the start of a program I can't say. Lots of the signalling includes added work to ensure compatibility with OCS. And any bridge or overhead construction and structures being built have electrification protection included. So one can say it has started.... but the obvious main steps have not, and won't until ONExpress is fully in charge.

- Paul
Is there any indication on when that will actually happen or are they dragging their heels on this? its been over 2years since they announced the award

Is there any indication on when that will actually happen or are they dragging their heels on this? its been over 2years since they announced the award
Remember theyve got that development phase. They finalized the operations portion a few months back, Train operation is owned by ONExpress on January 1.
Theyre still silent on the construction part. expect a few more months or maybe in the new year.

Has construction for this electrification started anywhere along the line? I mean, has the actual electrification infrastructure actually started being installed (overhead wires, signals, etc)? I don't consider grade separation work the start of electrification.
I was told by someone at CN that GO will never be allowed to begin electrification of any lines unless they have CN's permission. Even on tracks Metrolinx owns. Basically Metrolinx isn't allowed to install new signals or change any type of infrastructure on tracks that doesn't accomodate freight trains. All railroads must be able to accomodate freight trains if they should have to divert off their main line.

Apparently this is why platforms 26 & 27 at Union station don't have canopies, and will be refurbished without canopies.

Constructing canopies over 26 & 27 means trains with double stack containers can't bypass at Union.

Take it with a grain of salt. But that's what I heard.

I was told by someone at CN that GO will never be allowed to begin electrification of any lines unless they have CN's permission. Even on tracks Metrolinx owns. Basically Metrolinx isn't allowed to install new signals or change any type of infrastructure on tracks that doesn't accomodate freight trains. All railroads must be able to accomodate freight trains if they should have to divert off their main line.

Apparently this is why platforms 26 & 27 at Union station don't have canopies, and will be refurbished without canopies.

Constructing canopies over 26 & 27 means trains with double stack containers can't bypass at Union.

Take it with a grain of salt. But that's what I heard.
Thats not true. Metrolinx fully owns the Union corridor outright.
The canopy this is also not true see renderings from the design of the platforms. Unless youre talking about a full roof over the tracks, which wasn't going to be a thing anyway

1720227925331.png

As for other areas like Milton, they've discussed this in the signaling blog posts. On any track that CN owns, Go transit will transition out of ECTS L2 into the standard fixed-block signalling.
That said, the main corridors like LW, LE, Stouville up to whitchurch I think and barrie will be on brand new ECTS l2 signalling

The canopy this is also not true see renderings from the design of the platforms. Unless youre talking about a full roof over the tracks, which wasn't going to be a thing anyway

View attachment 578166
As for other areas like Milton, they've discussed this in the signaling blog posts. On any track that CN owns, Go transit will transition out of ECTS L2 into the standard fixed-block signalling.
That said, the main corridors like LW, LE, Stouville up to whitchurch I think and barrie will be on brand new ECTS l2 signalling
As far as I know, CN stills has running rights over some of the lines sold to ML and one reason all the rebuilt platforms with accessibly ramps are still set back for clearance.

LSW will be ECTS l2 only to Oakville as CN stills run service west of there and more so from Burlington Junction.to Hamilton/NF. GO will have to switch signals when using CP line In Hamilton

As far as I know, CN stills has running rights over some of the lines sold to ML and one reason all the rebuilt platforms with accessibly ramps are still set back for clearance.

LSW will be ECTS l2 only to Oakville as CN stills run service west of there and more so from Burlington Junction.to Hamilton/NF. GO will have to switch signals when using CP line In Hamilton
Yea we saw this with that blockade a few years back. freight trains running on the union corridor.
But that doesnt mean they have the right to block installation of new signalling. Nor the installation of canopies on USEP
Metrolinx "owns" the corridor. They will do level boarding, they will do ECTS. It wont be "blocked"

Metrolinx "owns" the corridor. They will do level boarding, they will do ECTS. It wont be "blocked"
It’s interesting you put owns in quotations, I too don’t really understand the ownership. I do know that in many disputes the federal body trumps the provincial and municipals. For example, the CN railyard in Milton being objected by the municipality but moving forward anyway.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the passenger dedicated corridors are required to accommodate freight in emergency circumstances. Supply chain disruptions are costly.

Having said that, I also can’t imagine any particular electrification features being blocked. They will be implemented in an accommodating manner.

Last edited:

View attachment 578166
While your points still stand, the new platforms at Union (and all of the platforms that will be extended outside of the shed after the USEP project is done) will have canopies like this:
IMG_3883.jpeg

This is the new design that they’re going forward with, and was finalised 2 years ago.

Yes, roof over tracks. That's what I meant by canopy.

What I've been told is that Metrolinx can't make any changes to their infrastructure on their lines if it isn't compatible with CN's freight trains.

I'm sure there is a way to electrify the lines while still accommodating freight trains. But it requires CN's approval.

Last edited:
Yes, roof over tracks. That's what I meant by canopy.

What I've been told is that Metrolinx can't make any changes to their infrastructure on their lines if it isn't compatible with CN's freight trains.

I'm sure there is a way to electrify the lines while still accommodating freight trains. But it requires CN's approval.
It doesn't require CN's approval. It requires conforming with TC's rules and regulations.

As pointed out, CN no longer has any say on those lines that they've sold to Metrolinx beyond requiring slots for running their trains.

The addition of catenary, station canopies and any enhancements to the platform structures must comply with Transport Canada's rules. That's all.

Dan

It doesn't require CN's approval. It requires conforming with TC's rules and regulations.

As pointed out, CN no longer has any say on those lines that they've sold to Metrolinx beyond requiring slots for running their trains.

The addition of catenary, station canopies and any enhancements to the platform structures must comply with Transport Canada's rules. That's all.

Dan
so are the stupid platform gap rules a tc thing or a cn requirement thing?

Back