News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

That's a fundamental redesign and completely unnecessary. The only thing the coaches need are modifications to the door to be flush with the new platform height

Is that easy for AODA compliance across the entire train? IIRC the gap and height difference are quite tight for compliance.

That is, do they need to install the height adjusting mechanisms that retain a specific height in different loading conditions (empty vs crush) like on TTC trains; or is it as simple as raising the platform and removing the exterior step on the train?

Perhaps they go the easy way and continue to have staff deploy a bridge for those who can't manage a gap or small height differential?

Last edited:
Is that easy for AODA compliance across the entire train? IIRC the gap and height difference are quite tight for compliance.

That is, do they need to install the height adjusting mechanisms that retain a specific height in different loading conditions (empty vs crush) like on TTC trains; or is it as simple as raising the platform and removing the exterior step on the train?

Perhaps they go the easy way and continue to have staff deploy a bridge for those who can't manage a gap or small height differential?
I wonder if it's as fundamentally simple as to find a way to install a structure to cover the step up. I guess that's provided they close the gap in when they raise all the platforms. It would be meaningless to raise the height if they leave the same gap as now

I am 100% sure they will be doing what FrontRunner in Utah does, and they have full level boarding with Bi-Level equipment

I just assumed they were going to convert the existing locos over to electric and buy new electric ones as demand requires.

BTW...........2028 seems late as I thought the RER electrification system was suppose to be up and running by 2026?

I just assumed they were going to convert the existing locos over to electric and buy new electric ones as demand requires.

BTW...........2028 seems late as I thought the RER electrification system was suppose to be up and running by 2026?
Theres a misunderstanding here.

Metrolinx never said it would be fully running by 2026.

At most they said "incremental service increases by 2026"

its more realistic to be expect electrification wires and locos to be running on them until past 2030.

Metrolinx expects some construction to start in 2023, and there will be incremental improvements to service as work phases unlock opportunities to add service starting in approximately 2025-2026.

Theres a misunderstanding here.
Metrolinx never said it would be fully running by 2026.

That's only one of their claims, which have been rewritten over time.
Lots was promised in the past, and then walked back or revised again and again.
One report here.
and here
Would look for more definitive statements when I have time tomorrow.

- Paul

Last edited:
That's only one of their claims, which have been rewritten over time.
Lots was promised in the past, and then walked back or revised again and again.
One report here.
and here
Would look for more definitive statements when I have time tomorrow.

- Paul
thats fair, the liberals in the past were lets say "ambitious" with their projections of GO RER back in 2014.
I mean we litterally had a 3 year long RFP process
Im talking since the contract was signed last April. When the timelines have become more concrete

thats fair, the liberals in the past were lets say "ambitious" with their projections of GO RER back in 2014.
I mean we litterally had a 3 year long RFP process
Im talking since the contract was signed last April. When the timelines have become more concrete

It felt like a blue-sky estimate at the time. Oversights during the electrification EA requiring it to be partially done again certainly didn't help the timeline, not did it help when vendors refused to bid under the original tender structure after Metrolinx made it abundantly clear they would sue the vendor for nearly every issue (see Bombardier and Crosslinx) under that model.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think all the cars on the train must be ADA compliant and raising the platforms may work for bi-levels butt what happens if they start using EMUs?

I think what they should do is do with the Paris RER system is implementing. Their fleet is mostly bi-level but they now have new cars that easily connect with the bi-levels but are only one level cars that have level boarding for the disabled and easier access for bikes and strollers. Dallas DART was about to get fined for the non-compliant LRT trains they run so they did a similar thing by buying level boarding middle cars. Depending on the number of cars on each train, there should be a certain percentage of them ADA compliant with such cars ie a 6 car train has 2 and a 12 car train 4.

Such a makeup would also allow for shorter dwelling times at each station as it's not the number of people at each station that slows the dwell time down but rather the extra time that must be provided for bikes and people with mobility issues and them having to congregate at the entry/exits making able bodied persons wait for them first.

We should probably skip the electric loco stage and go right to EMUs. A middle step is just going to delay it even further.
RER_NG_009M.jpg

Reactions: PL1
That is certainly the preferred option and I'm sure they will be phased in as the bi-levels reach the end of their lifecycle but to do it straight away would mean there are hundreds of bi-levels not being used and ML would end up selling them for pennies on the dollar.

We should probably skip the electric loco stage and go right to EMUs. A middle step is just going to delay it even further.
RER_NG_009M.jpg
ML thinking require duel power for trains that go outside the overhead areas, but EMU should be use on the main body that is electrify as they come on line.

The big issue for ML is what to do with the existing equipment??. Some are due to retire in the next 10-15 years for coaches, but others are very young.

There are very few system in NA that could use some of the existing fleet, with most seeing the scrap yard unless someone in the world may want them.

Back