News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Except GO has knowledge and maintenance history with them. The F59s work for now, and there's no learning curve / retooling / restocking of on-hand parts required.

I'm also wondering if repowering a used loco is an option? I note this is a service Progress Rail offers, but I have no idea if this work can achieve Tier 3 or 4 standards.

It is doable, but likely has a premium in cost, and it becomes a new learning curve if the new equipment needs new control systems or programming. Rebuilding to OEM is the most straightforward option where the components are time proven and familiar.

Let's remember, the big carbon and fuel savings is in expanding ridership and reducing private automobile use. Getting to Tier IV is gravy, but not a mission critical item for the next few years.

- Paul

If GO still wants 8 locomotives by September of 2024, it honestly seems more and more unlikely that a manufacturer can build and finish 8 brand new locomotives for them within that time frame, even if a contract were to be executed right now.

If GO still wants 8 locomotives by September of 2024, it honestly seems more and more unlikely that a manufacturer can build and finish 8 brand new locomotives for them within that time frame, even if a contract were to be executed right now.
Siemens?

EMD currently does not have an active production line. MPI could start up again.

That's about it. Does Alstom have anything?
Alstom doesn't, however as seen with the F59, and their electric locos for electrification, they might be able to build something new for GO.

The only other thing I can think of was General Electric (Now a part of Wabtec), making a "P47AC", which was likely a model that was submitted for the Amtrak bid. https://vergarastudio.com/index.php/projects/ge-p47ac-passenger-locomotive.html

Didn't MBTA have issues with these and they were parked for two years?
That's the HSP46, which was an MPI product, though it seems the P47AC utilizes a body almost identical to the one of the HSP46. It seems that the P47AC is the next evolution of the GE Genesis, just in an HSP46 shell.

That's the HSP46, which was an MPI product, though it seems the P47AC utilizes a body almost identical to the one of the HSP46. It seems that the P47AC is the next evolution of the GE Genesis, just in an HSP46 shell.
Never been built never been tested. Is that a good idea?

How are the F125's doing? Have the teething issues been resolved?

Alstom doesn't, however as seen with the F59, and their electric locos for electrification, they might be able to build something new for GO.

The only other thing I can think of was General Electric (Now a part of Wabtec), making a "P47AC", which was likely a model that was submitted for the Amtrak bid. https://vergarastudio.com/index.php/projects/ge-p47ac-passenger-locomotive.html
"I'd like a new locomotive, in 2023 (or something), but I want it to look like absolute shit and run on a six-axle freight bogey." Great stuff, North American rail industry. Truly great stuff...

"I'd like a new locomotive, in 2023 (or something), but I want it to look like absolute shit and run on a six-axle freight bogey." Great stuff, North American rail industry. Truly great stuff...
I mean, since the shell is based off an HSP46, a 4 axle locomotive, I feel a 4 axle version could be made without much difficulty.

I mean, since the shell is based off an HSP46, a 4 axle locomotive, I feel a 4 axle version could be made without much difficulty.
For sure. Another North American locomotive that looks like absolute shit. Caesar Vergara is like the Kirkor of industrial design. It's everywhere and very little of it is even remotely good.

Back