News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The big question to me is whether there end up being any dual modes included.... I'm ever more fond of seriously contemplating electrifying the whole of Kitchener with a Bramalea - Georgetown gap given how long any of the credible options for OLE through Brampton are going to take.
So far, Metrolinx has not mentioned dual-modes. OnXpress has also shown interest in using as many existing GO assets as possible (ex the Bilevels). I personally doubt we will see dual-modes, and probably the existing diesel locos will run under wires on trips to non-electrified territory.

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier in this thread. Some posters on the GO Transit reddit forum are claiming that Metrolinx/ GO transit are already having issues with the MP54's. Apparently they have a notorious failure rate when pulling 12 coaches. People are claiming they're seeing the MP54's only pulling 6 coaches. Any truth to these claims?
It hasn't even been 10 years since GO got their first MP54 and they're already having problems with them. Definitely not good. Wabtec/ Motive Power should never have switched to genset locomotives.

Apologies if it's already been discussed earlier in this thread. Some posters on the GO Transit reddit forum are claiming that Metrolinx/ GO transit are already having issues with the MP54's. Apparently they have a notorious failure rate when pulling 12 coaches. People are claiming they're seeing the MP54's only pulling 6 coaches. Any truth to these claims?
It hasn't even been 10 years since GO got their first MP54 and they're already having problems with them. Definitely not good. Wabtec/ Motive Power should never have switched to genset locomotives.
I have seen the MP54s pulling 6 car consists, however am unaware of the notorious failure rate with 12 car trains.

Though I have heard the MP54s aren’t that reliable so would not be surprised.

Wabtec/ Motive Power should never have switched to genset locomotives.
HSP46 (GEVO-12) wasn’t a bed of roses for MBTA either. And now it looks like they are essentially out of the business anyway with just the GE freight/marine business being promoted on Wabtec’s corporate site

HSP46 (GEVO-12) wasn’t a bed of roses for MBTA either. And now it looks like they are essentially out of the business anyway with just the GE freight/marine business being promoted on Wabtec’s corporate site
Also Metrolink in California has been having a lot of issues with their EMD F125s. It seems Siemens is positioning itself to have a monopoly on passenger locomotives in North America with the Charger. No one else seems to be able to produce a reliable competitor.

Also Metrolink in California has been having a lot of issues with their EMD F125s. It seems Siemens is positioning itself to have a monopoly on passenger locomotives in North America with the Charger. No one else seems to be able to produce a reliable competitor.
Wonder if the market ever gets tight enough that Alstom offers an ALP-45 without the panto and transformer.

Wonder if the market ever gets tight enough that Alstom offers an ALP-45 without the panto and transformer.
Or more passenger rail systems will simply go the Metra route and purchase used, freight locos.

SD70MACH.jpg

Last edited:
The MP54s were specifically designed with the possibility of operating shorter consists with only one of their two prime movers online. This saves a humongous amount of fuel for service versus using both prime movers or the MP40's single 16V-710.

They did have a rather protracted development term, and did have a bunch of peculiar failures early on that had to be remedied by Wabtec, but are now operating quite reliably. Their biggest issue is that they are quite loud inside with both of the engines on, and that has resulted in several crew complaints.

Dan

The MP54s were specifically designed with the possibility of operating shorter consists with only one of their two prime movers online. This saves a humongous amount of fuel for service versus using both prime movers or the MP40's single 16V-710.

They did have a rather protracted development term, and did have a bunch of peculiar failures early on that had to be remedied by Wabtec, but are now operating quite reliably. Their biggest issue is that they are quite loud inside with both of the engines on, and that has resulted in several crew complaints.

Dan
Well that's good to hear that the rumours of MP54's failing might have been exaggerated. I guess my next question is, Why is GO transit the only commuter rail system in North America operating MP54s? Why is every other system taking a liking to the Siemens Chargers?

Also how does Tri-Rail's Brookville BL36PHs compare to other diesel-electric locomotives?

Well that's good to hear that the rumours of MP54's failing might have been exaggerated. I guess my next question is, Why is GO transit the only commuter rail system in North America operating MP54s? Why is every other system taking a liking to the Siemens Chargers?

Also how does Tri-Rail's Brookville BL36PHs compare to other diesel-electric locomotives?
Why is GO is the only system in NA running 12 car trains with power that is supposed to be able to handle 14 cars???

When was Siemens Changers introduced to the NA market and who for??

Who else has bought Tri-Rail's BL36PH and how many cars can they push/pull??

When was Siemens Changers introduced to the NA market and who for??
Brightline were their first customers, but Siemens already had a presence in the locomotive market via their Amtrak electrics. Seems like good timing on their part to land a premium product in a visible market just as Amtrak were both expanding via state-supported service but also having to make tough decisions on their P42s.

It's pretty obvious why if you look at the timelines of when the different loco types were ordered.

They too had some teething issues, but seem to be running pretty reliably. Their biggest issue had more to do with questions about the tendering process rather than their performance.

Dan

Back