News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

image.png

So it seems from this listing the initial order of 13 with a potential 33 has now been updated to 27 with a potential for 53

I’m guessing this is going to be a new procedure? Using the old cab cars as mid set coaches on 10 car weekdays trips and then splitting off the consists to become 6 car consists with them leading on weekends?
IMG_7389.jpeg
IMG_7400.jpeg

Looks like a bid Siemens would be quite competitive on with the Chargers.
If they have the delivery slots within the tender timeline. It might also be that MLX realized that the smaller initial offer was not enough to interest players other than Siemens to put in serious offers.

That’s a lot of new power though, especially given the option sought. What will they do with all that?

GO will not need additional locomotives post-electrification, in fact they won’t even need as many as they currently have. I assume these engines will replace the MP40 locomotives, but the F59 rebuild makes me begin to doubt that

Will they paint the F59s in the new livery?

Looks like a bid Siemens would be quite competitive on with the Chargers.
Doesn't Siemens have a huge backlog for Chargers right now? Maybe Wabtec would be willing to cut Metrolinx a deal inorder to keep them from going to Siemens?

Doesn't Siemens have a huge backlog for Chargers right now? Maybe Wabtec would be willing to cut Metrolinx a deal inorder to keep them from going to Siemens?
Wabtec was apparently not interested in the previous tender for engines, though this is a larger order so maybe it’ll be a different story this time

GO will not need additional locomotives post-electrification, in fact they won’t even need as many as they currently have. I assume these engines will replace the MP40 locomotives, but the F59 rebuild makes me begin to doubt that
If the F59s are getting rebuilt, I really doubt that GO would replace the MP40s any time soon.

If Wabtec are interested in the passenger locomotive market these days, they are keeping it on the downlow. The Boise plant is closed; how many people in Erie have direct knowledge of building an MP40-T4? (Assuming Metrolinx wants any)

Siemens is opening a new plant in North Carolina to increase their production capacity. Production starts 2024. Obviously their products are much more popular than they anticipated.

With such a larger order, sticking with Wabtec is less urgent for Metrolinx I’d assume. The new set of locomotives would be big enough to enable commodities of scale etc.

So now the question becomes, if GO were to get all 53 locomotives, where would they get all the cab cars necessary to run with them?

Back