News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

GO regularly runs trains at 93mph - the maximum speed possible of the MP40s.

I believe that MARC is only allowed to operate at 100mph with their diesels.

I don't think that 7mph is of any major importance.

Dan
to note the MP54AC is limited to 110mph so we won't be seeing 125mph under diesel power anytime soon

Because they need a thrill? Or because it gets them somewhere faster? You need to calculate how much time a GO train would save if it did accelerate further before beginning to brake. The math is not supportive of your argument. Big dollars in track and fuel costs, versus a few seconds shaved off the timings.

For balance, I am a bit surprised at how low the track speed limit is on some GO lines.... but I have seen the grid that tells engineers what speed to coast from after leaving each stop. The grid is more conservative than the track construction, and that's a deliberate calculation based on time versus fuel expense. the track isn't the limiting factor.

Not a good comparison. You are asking why we don't engineer and build highways to a higher standard. The answer - it costs a lot of money, and you can already do 120 fairly safely, if you choose to. And if your gas consumption were in the same range as a MP40, you might reconsider the choice.

- Paul
I don't suppose that trying to save on traction power costs will be as big a motivator in the future as saving on fuel is today, and the faster-accelerating trains of the future will also be able to spend so much more time at maximum speeds of 140 km/h. A TRAXX platform locomotive with maximum power 5600kW may haul a 5-car train, of weight ~350 tonnes including the loco, and with a starting tractive effort of ~315kN. Today's MP40PHs may, with output 3000kW, haul 12-car trains within striking distance of 800 tonnes and with about 370kN starting tractive effort. Some quick calculations can produce ballpark figures for a stopping penalty - i.e. how much extra time it takes to reach a distant point after coming to a stop and accelerating again, ignoring the time spent dwelling while stopped. For current trains, it comes out to well in excess of 200 seconds for a MP40PH and maybe a dozen seconds less for a MP54AC. The short electric train may do it in 90 seconds. Modern EMUs could halve that again, but I understand they aren't planned in the near future for pragmatic reasons.

I was really shocked at the old Uxbridge sub speed limits though. Do we know if they've been raised following the double-tracking project?

Last edited:
I don't suppose that trying to save on traction power costs will be as big a motivator in the future as saving on fuel is today, and the faster-accelerating trains of the future will also be able to spend so much more time at maximum speeds of 140 km/h. A TRAXX platform locomotive with maximum power 5600kW may haul a 5-car train, of weight ~350 tonnes including the loco, and with a starting tractive effort of ~315kN. Today's MP40PHs may, with output 3000kW, haul 12-car trains within striking distance of 800 tonnes and with about 370kN starting tractive effort. Some quick calculations can produce ballpark figures for a stopping penalty - i.e. how much extra time it takes to reach a distant point after coming to a stop and accelerating again, ignoring the time spent dwelling while stopped. For current trains, it comes out to well in excess of 200 seconds for a MP40PH and maybe a dozen seconds less for a MP54AC. The short electric train may do it in 90 seconds. Modern EMUs could halve that again, but I understand they aren't planned in the near future for pragmatic reasons.

I was really shocked at the old Uxbridge sub speed limits though. Do we know if they've been raised following the double-tracking project?
Unless it's an express train, is the time saved would be marginal.

Has MX started repainting the MP40's in the newer livery?
A few have been done so far, but been some time one has been repainted

Edited: 607 + 615 + 647 that I have photos of. I believe 662 and up arrived in new colours

Last edited:

Back