News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

how much of the LSE and W are still accessible to freight traffic? Correct me if im wrong but isnt this whole premise on require TC waivers and reg changes because
the trains mix in with freight traffic? If we remove CN from the equation and have PTC would that solve the issue of having lightweight trains?

These regulations aren't just in place because of freight traffic. They're about non-compliant equipment operating on the same tracks as compliant equipment (including both freight and passenger). Transport Canada had previously stated that they would allow GO to use non-compliant equipment if there was either a temporal separation of different types of traffic, or a collision avoidance system like PTC.

I personally think that smaller DMUs would be a more efficient way of running off-peak and weekend services on some of GO's lines.

Last edited:
The KISS is just the double decker version of the FLIRT, so yes with the double decker coaches. AFAIK there isn't an example of a DEMU version of the KISS (yet).

That's not true at all. The KISS was designed from the ground-up to meet a whole different bunch of specifications - primarily as a high-capacity electrified commuter train - and that's why it isn't an articulated trainset.

The FLIRT is based on a couple of different products that Stadler had been offering for many years, and has kind of grown and mutated into what we see today.

Dan

Many thanks, but had already found that elsewhere. I'm looking for factory specs, finding them hard to find for some odd reason. That being said, that's sometime's the case. It is with Motive Power too, until finding their tech page with exquisite detail. I'll look more this evening to see what I can find. I know Stadler publish them as I've seen them before. I think a rail mag did an intense feature on them detailing all the possibilities with the power module, one of them being hydrail.

They are impressive units and Stadler, for a small company, stands incredibly well amidst the giants.

Every purchase included a grandfathering clause for existing freight. If ML tried that, they'd be in breach of contract.

so is there a way out of this? retrack everything and remove the connecting switches? And what contract is there when ML are the owners now? Its not like a carmaker can repo a car I bought out just because i dont take it to them to service. Or is an indefinite lease? I really do wish that ML grows a spine and stand up to CN/CP.

since ML owns the line they should just shut them out of it. Force them to make the bypass line

This would be a terrible terrible idea.

Metrolinx: "CN, we are banning your trains from Lakeshore East"
CN: "Hey Metrolinx, we are banning your trains from Bramalea to Mount Pleasant, Langstaff to Gormely, and Aldershot to Hamilton. Enjoy!"

so is there a way out of this? retrack everything and remove the connecting switches? And what contract is there when ML are the owners now? Its not like a carmaker can repo a car I bought out just because i dont take it to them to service. Or is an indefinite lease? I really do wish that ML grows a spine and stand up to CN/CP.

Spine has nothing to do with it. The freight railways have a legally enforceable right to use the lines that they sold ML. The terms of sale to ML have such a clause.

To use your analogy, yes you bought the car but the dealer and their spouse still have the right to use it to drive their kids to school every day.

And yes, they are talking about having another baby.

- Paul

so is there a way out of this?

Sure. Metrolinx can pay CN/CP to give up their access/usage rights.

Consider that it cost Metrolinx $1B for ownership despite guarantees of access; that is, a guarantee that the change in ownership would not interrupt their revenue stream. Kicking them out completely will cost some non-trivial multiple of $1B.

From the Federal Budget, page 76.

Ontario: New Go Transit Train Coaches Users of the seven GO Transit lines in the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area will soon be getting to their destinations faster thanks to a federal investment of $93.5 million. This investment means that 53 new bi-level train coaches will be delivered one year earlier than planned

Bit of a problem as far as I can tell with a cursory check:
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Infrastructure Canada
Apr 30, 2018, 15:00 ET
SHARE THIS ARTICLE

BURLINGTON, ON, April 30, 2018 /CNW/ - Investing in public infrastructure supports efficient, affordable and sustainable transit services that help Canadians and their families get to work, school and appointments on time and back home safely at the end of a long day.
The Honourable Karina Gould, Member of Parliament for Burlington, on behalf of the Honourable Amarjeet Sohi, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; the Honourable Eleanor McMahon, Member of Provincial Parliament for Burlington; and Greg Percy, Chief Operating Officer of Metrolinx, today announced more than $187 million in joint funding for the Metrolinx GO Transit Bi-Level Coach Procurement project that will support an increase in the number of trains that run along all seven GO Transit corridors to help alleviate congestion for riders.
The Government of Canada is providing more than $93 million through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund for this project while the Province of Ontario is providing the remaining costs.
The funding will be used to accelerate the purchase of 53 bi-level coaches that will enhance the GO Transit service. This purchase will support the expansion of GO train services and enable Metrolinx to meet forecasted service levels beyond 2018. Not only will this project improve passenger mobility, but will also help to improve operational efficiency, accessibility and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
This investment is part of an agreement between Canada and Ontario for the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund.
[...]

Deja vu all over again...

The Investing in Canada Plan: An Update In Budget 2016, the Government announced the first phase of its Investing in Canada Plan, which provided $14.4 billion for short-term investments to upgrade and repair existing infrastructure. In Budget 2017, the Government outlined the second phase of its plan, including a commitment to invest an additional $81.2 billion in long-term funding for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, and infrastructure that supports trade and transportation, and rural and northern communities. In total, the Government is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years to build infrastructure in communities across the country. Additional investment associated with the first and second phase of the Investing in Canada Plan is expected to help create or maintain an estimated 42,000 jobs by 2020–21.
[...]
Quick facts

• On March 31, 2017, the Government of Canada announced a contribution of more than $1.8 billion to the GO Transit Regional Express Rail project through the New Building Canada Fund – Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component.
  • These 53 coaches are part of a larger order of 125 coaches. The first vehicle delivery is expected later this year.
  • The GO expansion program will provide faster and more frequent service across the GO rail network, with electrified service on core segments, including the Union Pearson Express. It is one of the largest transit infrastructure investments in North America.
  • The Government of Canada will invest more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada's rural and northern communities.
  • $28.7 billion of this funding will support public transit projects, including $5 billion that will be available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.
  • Since 2004, the Government of Ontario has committed $4.1 billion to municipalities across the province through the provincial gas tax program. This funding supports municipal transit systems.
  • [...]

I'm tired and losing track of what was stated when and if this is a rehash from the Feds to kick things forward or just re-announce it, but if it is being 'kicked forward a year'...there's still a problem:

QP has to match it...[...sound of Fordsters chirping...] I get the distinct whiff of baiting...cricket bait to go fishing with. To see if they can catch Northern Perks at QP. Perhaps some Suckers?

In fact, I'm just projecting, but this might be a trap to go around the Province to deal with municipalities directly. "Queen's Park was asleep at the switch, so we had to do it For the People ourselves".

Stay tuned...

Btw: Watch this closely for the other repaired budget shoe to drop: (Repair done at Sole Survivor in Kensington Market, btw
Federal budget will help older workers retrain for new jobs, Morneau )
including $5 billion that will be available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.
"Canada Infrastructure Bank" There's going to be a lot more on that forthcoming...

Last edited:
March 18
I am expecting to hear one day that GO Trains will increase from 12 cars to 14-16 cars since we aren't moving to EMU's
33569766908_701da9748c_b.jpg

47392984002_e5a7ce4de8_b.jpg

46530573815_8326bb3f2e_b.jpg

46722736684_a296203978_b.jpg

46530570835_08a5125410_b.jpg

47392982622_0a4485f544_b.jpg

Back