News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Took some photos on the RH line, the trains were incredibly slow, I checked the alerts before my trip and there was nothing about the speed restrictions until much later in the day :/ Nearly doubled the trip tip for me.

Crazy to think it was all under water yesterday!

View attachment 581494

View attachment 581495

View attachment 581496
Saw a video of water flowing down some stairs inside Union Station because of a wave caused by a train pulling in. Might short the electrical systems if it gets high enough.

Hopefully a train dosen't get stuck in the Don Valley (flashback to 7/19/2013) again!

Last edited:
There's nowhere along that stretch that is anything approaching remote. Unless your carrier has spectacularly bad coverage along there (and therefore, along the north side of Steeles) you should have not had any cell service issues.

Dan
I'm guessing maybe the hydro lines could potentially affect cell coverage and cause interference but cell coverage is usually good in the area. I've had issues on the 407 in the area going under hydro lines.

Saw a video of water flowing down some stairs inside Union Station because of a wave caused by a train pulling in. Might short the electrical systems if it gets high enough.

Hopefully a train dosen't get stuck in the Don Valley (flashback to 7/19/2013) again!
Are you sure it wasn’t the video of the water flowing down the moat stairs? I don’t remember any GO parts of Union getting seriously flooded, only city of Toronto parts

W
Are you sure it wasn’t the video of the water flowing down the moat stairs? I don’t remember any GO parts of Union getting seriously flooded, only city of Toronto parts
With the amount of water flowing down the stairs, it had to go into Union Station as well the Team Way. As soon as someone opens a door to Union, water rushes in. There are videos and photographs floating around showing water in Union

Wabtec earnings surge on higher freight and transit revenue

Wabtec also disclosed that it has received a $600 million, multiyear order for Tier 4 locomotives from a North American railroad. It did not name the railroad, and no Class I system has yet announced a new locomotive order this year. A Wabtec spokesman said the company could not identify the railroad that has placed the order.

Wonder if this is GO? We’ve seen plenty of indications that they’re going to order more diesels. I would also be surprised if a freight railway ordered Tier 4s. They’ve stayed away from them like the plague due to longevity issues, making me think this order was a passenger railway.

If this is GO, I am guessing that means we probably will see more MP54ACs then.
Wonder if Wabtec would want to use this order to refresh the loco design to better compete with Siemens who is absolutely dominating the market. Until now (maybe), that model isn’t officially offered anymore.

Then again, looking at the order, $600 mil seems like a lot for only 27 locomotives. Unless GO is ordering like 200 locomotives I am now starting to doubt that this is for GO.

Wonder if Wabtec would want to use this order to refresh the loco design to better compete with Siemens who is absolutely dominating the market. Until now (maybe), that model isn’t officially offered anymore.
depends on if they see it as a worthy investment. the charger has essentially monopolised the market so they need to see a positive RoI before they spend hundreds of millions of dollars on developing a new loco.

Then again, looking at the order, $600 mil seems like a lot for only 27 locomotives. Unless GO is ordering like 200 locomotives I am now starting to doubt that this is for GO.
Passenger locos regularly go for about $10mil / copy and more. $600mil should therefore net someone about 50 locos. And to be completely honest, I can't think of a single passenger carrier in North America who is in the market for a fleet that big at the moment. (There was Amtrak, but they're already getting large numbers of units from Siemens.)

Freight locos are much cheaper as they usually get built en masse to the (more-or-less) same specs. It's been a while since I followed the market, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current figure is about $4mil / unit - which would thus indicate an order for about 150 locos. And there are definitely freight railroads in North America who could easily absorb such an order without difficulty.

Dan

Passenger locos regularly go for about $10mil / copy and more. $600mil should therefore net someone about 50 locos. And to be completely honest, I can't think of a single passenger carrier in North America who is in the market for a fleet that big at the moment. (There was Amtrak, but they're already getting large numbers of units from Siemens.)

Freight locos are much cheaper as they usually get built en masse to the (more-or-less) same specs. It's been a while since I followed the market, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current figure is about $4mil / unit - which would thus indicate an order for about 150 locos. And there are definitely freight railroads in North America who could easily absorb such an order without difficulty.

Dan
Well, in MX's list of 2024 tenders, they have one that is for delivery of diesel electric locomotives, with an initial order of 27 with provisions for up to 53. Maybe it could be for GO then.

Well, in MX's list of 2024 tenders, they have one that is for delivery of diesel electric locomotives, with an initial order of 27 with provisions for up to 53. Maybe it could be for GO then.
Metrolinx's current fleet is also not as reliable as it may seem, and maybe they're going with a number closer to 53 than 27 to start doing some replacements.

Back