News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Doesn't UP already operate at 30 minute headways even midday?

Not right now:

1625067345793.png

When will we start seeing an increase overall to the RER lines such as hopefully a 40-45 min or a 30 min headway and maybe an actual weekend service on the Kitchener Line?

When will we start seeing an increase overall to the RER lines such as hopefully a 40-45 min or a 30 min headway and maybe an actual weekend service on the Kitchener Line?
Keep in mind that as of right now, the only lines that have enough infrastructure in place to support better than an hourly service are the Lakeshore Lines and Kitchener to Mount Pleasant (-ish). Work on the Barrie and Stouffville Lines is ongoing, but still a ways away from being ready for lower headways, with Stouffville being the closer of the two.

But also bear in mind that ridership is still well below where it was at this point 2 years ago.

There are currently scheduled to be a large round of service improvements/restorations this coming September. It doesn't sound like it is going to be quite the full reinstatement of service, but it does sound like a lot of the off-peak service is coming back.

Dan

Keep in mind that as of right now, the only lines that have enough infrastructure in place to support better than an hourly service are the Lakeshore Lines and Kitchener to Mount Pleasant (-ish). Work on the Barrie and Stouffville Lines is ongoing, but still a ways away from being ready for lower headways, with Stouffville being the closer of the two.

But also bear in mind that ridership is still well below where it was at this point 2 years ago.

There are currently scheduled to be a large round of service improvements/restorations this coming September. It doesn't sound like it is going to be quite the full reinstatement of service, but it does sound like a lot of the off-peak service is coming back.

Dan
I did some fiddling around with schedules and found union to bramalea can support 30m service (ish) in both directions if Etobicoke North is skipped. Which is already being done with the counter peak train to bramalea in the morning.

I did some fiddling around with schedules and found union to bramalea can support 30m service (ish) in both directions if Etobicoke North is skipped. Which is already being done with the counter peak train to bramalea in the morning.

Rather than annoy Etobicoke North customers by reducing service, I suspect Ml will wait until the new stations at Weston and Woodbine are finished before upping service. It’s not clear whether CN would allow much more service west of Bramalea until the major project work is completed. That will take years.

- Paul

Rather than annoy Etobicoke North customers by reducing service, I suspect Ml will wait until the new stations at Weston and Woodbine are finished before upping service. It’s not clear whether CN would allow much more service west of Bramalea until the major project work is completed. That will take years.

- Paul
That's why I wrote "(-ish)"

There is track and signals in place to allow for a very high-density service on this line. But there are a number of factors limiting the service to something less than what it is capable of. And yes CN and their restrictions are definitely one of them, as is the single platform face at Etobicoke North.

And maybe unsurprisingly, one of the factors is Metrolinx's own ham-fistedness.

Anyone, specifically @smallspy happen to know what platform the Niagara trains are using at Union this year? I know in past years they departed from Platform 11 every time.
There have also been long periods where they used platforms 3 and 5, so to say that its platform "11 every time" I think is a bit premature.

In any case, I have not seen any memos regarding the platforming of the service at Union this year.

Dan

There have also been long periods where they used platforms 3 and 5, so to say that its platform "11 every time" I think is a bit premature.

In any case, I have not seen any memos regarding the platforming of the service at Union this year.

No worries, you are right.

When the service first started it was on Platform 3 and boarding via the West Wing. I was more hoping for "Priority Access".

Back