News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

As previously noted, an announcement is coming in the near future on some form of fare integration.

I don't have any details and can't speak to its quality, but I would expect to hear something before the end of Q1 2022 and maybe sooner (report on future fare structure options is going to the TTC meeting in February)
I thought the February TTC report was just about TTC fare structures, particularly capping, and the fair fare policies. What indications are there that they've finally made progress on fare integration?

I thought the February TTC report was just about TTC fare structures, particularly capping, and the fair fare policies. What indications are there that they've finally made progress on fare integration?

See this post by @Allandale25

Read the actual letter, and maybe some of the observations in posts below.

Read the actual letter, and maybe some of the observations in posts below.
Ah - good news maybe. I don't follow that thread very closely, I hadn't realised that fare integration was being discussed there.

It all depends on how much Verster was spinning, and how accurately the NDP MPP was taking notes - but potentially good news. Presumably independent of TTC's February report. Perhaps less so for the April one - might explain why there is two.

So according to Trainssee and some people in the area, the speed restriction at Shakespeare between Stratford and Kitchener has been lifted and trains can now go 60 mph there. This saves 4-5 minutes. This could possibly put the total travel time at 3hr 43 mins. Still a long way off from the possible 2hr 40 minutes with the 1970s historical speed + Kitchener - Toronto improvements.
Great news! Based on the chart you posted earlier, this was the lowest-hanging fruit along the line: a short 30 mph slow order in an otherwise 60 mph zone. Hopefully they are also working on the two other similar slow orders (one just east of Stratford and the other crossing Hwy 7 west of New Hamburg).

Speed diagram previously posted by Krypto98
london-toronto-png.356687

Location of the 30 mph slow order which still exists west of New Hamburg (as of today):
Screenshot_20211226-174436~2.png

I highly doubt the time savings of resolving the single 30 mph slow order in Shakespeare would be 4-5 minutes, given that it was only a couple hundred metres long, and even a full station stop on a 60 mph line only adds about 2 minutes, including coming to a full stop and sitting still for 30 seconds.

And by the way, how do you make these charts? I looked quickly on transsee.ca but I didn't see any obvious way of exporting data.

Last edited:
Almost every recent Metrolinx public meeting has had a question about fare structure in the region. They've consistently responded that an announcement will be coming likely in 2022.

Great news! Based on the chart you posted earlier, this was the lowest-hanging fruit along the line: a short 30 mph slow order in an otherwise 60 mph zone. Hopefully they are also working on the two other similar slow orders (one just east of Stratford and the other crossing Hwy 7 west of New Hamburg).

Location of the 30 mph slow order which still exists west of New Hamburg (as of today):
View attachment 371560

I highly doubt the time savings of resolving the single 30 mph slow order in Shakespeare would be 4-5 minutes, given that it was only a couple hundred metres long, and even a full station stop on a 60 mph line only adds about 2 minutes, including coming to a full stop and sitting still for 30 seconds.

And by the way, how do you make these charts? I looked quickly on transsee.ca but I didn't see any obvious way of exporting data.
I copy and pasted each individual line into excel and formated with one column with time and another with speed. I'll likely make another chart soon with the Guelph speed improvements.

I think there was another 15mph speed restriction increased to 30 mph near Kelly's

What was the 1970s time for kitchener to Stratford?

View attachment 371560

Another correction, They are usually now 3 minutes early at stratford. Thus including duel time, i only see this improving the schedule by 2 minutes.

Best time in the Jan 7 1970 timetable - westbound #159 - 27 minutes (plus 3 mins dwell in Stratford), That was a conventional train.

From June 1 80 - with most services running as RDC trains - westbound # 665 - 27 minutes plus 3 dwell in Stratford

May 5/91 - with service reduced after the Mulroney cuts - #80 eastward, 29 minutes (no dwell shown)

2001 (GEXR) - #87 - 29 minutes

2009 (GEXR) - #84 - 27 minutes

2017 (GEXR) #85 - 37 minutes

In theory, CN has received compensation from G+W which ought to be applied to restoring the line to its pre-GEXR condition.

- Paul

Last edited:
I copy and pasted each individual line into excel and formated with one column with time and another with speed. I'll likely make another chart soon with the Guelph speed improvements.
I meant where did you get the data to copy to Excel?
Here's April 1976 (27 min travel + 3 min dwell, same as the tables described by crs1026):
Capture0.JPG

So how do you make the schedule reflect the original schedule before the track deteriorated? Shouldn't they be able to shave an hour off that trip?
I don't know exactly how to do that but if GO3775 followed the 1970s schedule, the schedule would look like this
4:19 Union
4:46 Bramalea
4:53 Brampton
5:00 Mount Pleasant
5:12 Georgetown
5:26 Acton
5:41 Guelph Central
6:06 Kitchener
6:33 Stratford
6:48 St Marys
7:15 London

You Could subtract an additional 5-7 minutes for the Guelph Speed increases since that is not reflected here.

Back