News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Looking at the map, is Orangeville in any future GO expansion plans? Seems like it (and Bolton which is planned) is the only N-S line that does not have GO service.

I have never heard of any discussion on that.

I have always thought it would be an interesting "experiment" if they could use the sort of rolling stock that is planned for the airport link to run a service on that line that brought people to the Georgetown (at Brampton) and Milton (at Streetsville) lines.......a sort of feeder GO rail service to see if there is a way to extend GO's rail reach without having to create a direct link to Union......way down the priority list though...way down!

Looking at the map, is Orangeville in any future GO expansion plans? Seems like it (and Bolton which is planned) is the only N-S line that does not have GO service.

Not by rail. Because of the alignment of the line, it can never be made to be time-competitive with the local roads.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I would certainly agree. The alignment certainly offers great scenic views, but hardly speedy commuter service. I strongly recommend getting out to ride the Credit Valley Explorer tourist train from Orangeville - it's a fun ride (I've done it twice), very scenic (especially around Thanksgiving) and a way to support a local short line, owned by the Town of Orangeville and supported by industries in Orangeville and Brampton that fund the operation by maintaining their rail requirements.Thos costs o upgrades anywhere north of King Road at the most would not come close to meeting a cost-benefit analysis to except the most die-hard rail foamer.

By the way, Collingwood has decided to abandon their short line operation as it has been a drain (putting to rest dreams of a ski train). Though Barrie-Innisfil would keep their side of the BCRY operation in any case.

The Orangeville-Brampton Railway might make sense as a peak-onlybranch of Georgetown as far as King Road with a stop in Snelgrove, but not as a full line, and would rank far beyond GO's other potential track work. Highway 10 buses will offer the speed and capacity needed for in the medium or long term, I only wished there was some weekend Orangeville bus service like there is to Beaverton to provide access to OBRY's excursion trains to car-less Torontonians, as GO buses use the OBRY passenger station as a park-and-ride.

Bolton, on the other hand, makes a lot of sense.

There is one question relating to the RAC maps and the updates. I read elsewhere that CN still actually owns the Guelph Sub, but only leases it to RailAmerica, who operate the Guelph and Thorndale Subs as part of their Goderich-Exeter operations (I believe that GEXR actually owns the CN Stratford-Goderich and Clinton-Exeter spur line and only leases the rest from CN that still owns the lines that the VIA Toronto-Kitchener-Toronto trains runs on.

So is the map accurate showing GEXR's extent or is it more like an extended running rights agreement with CN for use of its Guelph and Thorndale Subs under contract? I've heard that RailAmerica isn't co-operating fully on the work for the Georgetown-Kitchener extension of GO service and track upgrades, but I might be wrong and would love clarification.

Quick questions

Does CP still exercise the trackage rights they have between Bayview Junction and Canpa? Also, where does the name 'canpa' originate? Is it short for Canadian Pacific?

Also, on the GO-owed Don Branch, does GO do any maintenance on the sub? Or are they just waiting until it's actually need and/or the Peterborough line comes though?

Does CP still exercise the trackage rights they have between Bayview Junction and Canpa? Also, where does the name 'canpa' originate? Is it short for Canadian Pacific?

Also, on the GO-owed Don Branch, does GO do any maintenance on the sub? Or are they just waiting until it's actually need and/or the Peterborough line comes though?

No, the running rights agreement was terminated a few years ago. Canpa is indeed named after Canadian Pacific. And GO has yet to do any maintenance on the Don Branch and they won't do any significant work (much of which is needed on that track) until there are concrete plans in place for any service that would use it.

So is the map accurate showing GEXR's extent or is it more like an extended running rights agreement with CN for use of its Guelph and Thorndale Subs under contract? I've heard that RailAmerica isn't co-operating fully on the work for the Georgetown-Kitchener extension of GO service and track upgrades, but I might be wrong and would love clarification.

You are correct... CN still owns the lines from London to Stratford and from Stratford to Georgetown. GEXR has a lease on the lines and provides all maintenance on the lines. I'm not sure what relationship GO/Metrolinx has with GEXR but VIA Rail and GEXR are in a dispute. From what I have heard VIA wants to signal the line, improve the line so trains move faster, and put in some additional passing tracks but there is some disagreement over how much VIA will pay for ongoing maintenance to GEXR after they have made their improvements.

Based on the Canadian Transportation Agency website the outcome of the case between GEXR and VIA is currently forecast to be determined by the end of the month.

Last edited:
Is there any update or news when then Bolton EA would start for GO service? Is the information listed on GO's website?

GO Transit expands train fleet with a $125M infrastructure investment

TORONTO – GO Transit is expanding its rail fleet and is buying an additional 50 new bi-level passenger coaches. The $125 million purchase means GO will have room for an additional 8000 commuters a day by next year.

“There is a major demand for GO to increase its train services, from both a customer service and ridership perspective,” said GO Transit President Gary McNeil. “We need to add new trains and lengthen our existing trains so more bi-level coaches are required now.”

By placing the order now, these vehicles, supplied by Thunder Bay manufacturer Bombardier, will be ready to be put into service beginning in late 2011 and into 2012. This new order will bring the total bi-level coach fleet to 565 coaches. Once in service, these additional 50 bi-level coaches will provide an additional 8,000 seats for commuters.

“These kinds of strategic infrastructure investments are all part of the McGuinty government’s Open Ontario plan to create and support jobs today and build foundations for our economy and our families tomorrow,” said Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Minister of Transportation.

“This is great news for the employees at Bombardier and the economy of Thunder Bay,” said Bill Mauro, MPP for Thunder Bay-Atikokan. “This investment continues our government’s commitment to mass transit and helps Bombardier remain a major economic catalyst for Thunder Bay and region.”

“Today’s announcement will benefit the people who live and work in Thunder Bay,” said Thunder Bay-Superior North MPP Michael Gravelle. “Investments like this will keep people working and our community strong and vibrant.”

Production of the bi-level coaches is scheduled to begin in June 2011, with the first delivery of coaches to arrive in fall 2011.

The bi-level coaches have been part of GO’s fleet since 1978 and were designed by Bombardier, in cooperation with GO Transit.
p_up.gif

If you can't put more trains on the tracks, put longer trains on the tracks :p. I wonder how long GO can keep adding cars onto existing trains before they have to increase frequency.

i still don't understand why they can't at least add more trips on the lines that they own... like the Lincolnville and Barrie line... one train before and one train after?
Also question...does the Lincolnville line also have the old signals like the Barrie line that prevent it from operating at headways less than 30 minutes?

I have never ridden the Milton Line but is CP the only factor that prevents it from operating all-day service or is there other factors involved?

i still don't understand why they can't at least add more trips on the lines that they own... like the Lincolnville and Barrie line... one train before and one train after?

In part due to lack of equipment, in part due to lack of demand. This purchase will help with the former, but do nothing for the latter.

Also question...does the Lincolnville line also have the old signals like the Barrie line that prevent it from operating at headways less than 30 minutes?

Yes.

I have never ridden the Milton Line but is CP the only factor that prevents it from operating all-day service or is there other factors involved?

CP is the only factor.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It would be interesting to know how many of those new 50 coaches are needed to extend current trains from 10 cars to 12 (I thought most lines were already operating mostly with 12 cars) and how many are needed to add trains/frequency and, in the case of the latter, do they have enough locomotives to do that.

Anyone know that breakdown?

It would be interesting to know how many of those new 50 coaches are needed to extend current trains from 10 cars to 12 (I thought most lines were already operating mostly with 12 cars) and how many are needed to add trains/frequency and, in the case of the latter, do they have enough locomotives to do that.

Anyone know that breakdown?

I haven't heard the breakdown of the order yet, but there are currently 20 cars being delivered separate from this order. The breakdown of that order is 1 cab car, 3 accessible cars, and 16 "plain" coaches.

16 of the 42 trainsets in service on a given day are 12-cars long. The rest are all L10s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back