News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

By the way, Collingwood has decided to abandon their short line operation as it has been a drain (putting to rest dreams of a ski train). Though Barrie-Innisfil would keep their side of the BCRY operation in any case.

Who is in ownership of the line after its abandonment, and is there any likelyhood of reserving the ROW for a mid-far future Collingwood service?

I haven't heard the breakdown of the order yet, but there are currently 20 cars being delivered separate from this order. The breakdown of that order is 1 cab car, 3 accessible cars, and 16 "plain" coaches.

16 of the 42 trainsets in service on a given day are 12-cars long. The rest are all L10s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks for that....somehow I thought they were further along than 40% being 12 cars long!

Is there any hint that can be read into the make up of that existing 20 car delivery? I presume that all 42 existing trainsets have accessible cars already and those "line up" with the accessibility features of the platforms (ie. you can't just plunk 3 more accessible cars in and say "we are even more accessible") so is that 20 car order the start of 3 more trainsets?

Thanks for that....somehow I thought they were further along than 40% being 12 cars long!

It seems that they don't plan on running that many more 12 car trains for the time being. There are a couple of trains planned for each of the Barrie and Lincolnville lines, and maybe a couple more trainsets for the Lakeshore lines. And the two trainsets coming in from Kitchener starting late this year. Other than that, the rest of the trains can remain as L10s for the forseeable future.

Is there any hint that can be read into the make up of that existing 20 car delivery? I presume that all 42 existing trainsets have accessible cars already and those "line up" with the accessibility features of the platforms (ie. you can't just plunk 3 more accessible cars in and say "we are even more accessible") so is that 20 car order the start of 3 more trainsets?

There will have to be at least three more trainsets by the end of the year. The two from Kitchener to start late this year, and one more from Milton - the layover has already been prepared for that one. Beyond that, I know that they want to stick at least another trainset each on both of the Lakeshore lines but I think they are waiting for some of the station construction jobs to finish up first.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It seems that they don't plan on running that many more 12 car trains for the time being. There are a couple of trains planned for each of the Barrie and Lincolnville lines, and maybe a couple more trainsets for the Lakeshore lines. And the two trainsets coming in from Kitchener starting late this year. Other than that, the rest of the trains can remain as L10s for the forseeable future.

There will have to be at least three more trainsets by the end of the year. The two from Kitchener to start late this year, and one more from Milton - the layover has already been prepared for that one. Beyond that, I know that they want to stick at least another trainset each on both of the Lakeshore lines but I think they are waiting for some of the station construction jobs to finish up first.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

When are they adding another Milton train? What time?

I don't think the Kitchener trains are new all-new consists... I'd heard they're pushing the existing trains that deadhead into position at Bramalea out to overnight at Kitchener.

I don't think the Kitchener trains are new all-new consists... I'd heard they're pushing the existing trains that deadhead into position at Bramalea out to overnight at Kitchener.

Isn't there only one of those now? The train that leaves Bramalea at 9:20 in the morning? Wonder why that one has not been extended to Mt. Pleasant like the 6:50 pm evening westbound....now that the tracks are doubled and the platforms are doubled out to there?

The info I have says that they will be all-new consists, leaving at 6.15am and 7.30am. I don't have times for the return trips yet, unfortunately.

Isn't there only one of those now? The train that leaves Bramalea at 9:20 in the morning? Wonder why that one has not been extended to Mt. Pleasant like the 6:50 pm evening westbound....now that the tracks are doubled and the platforms are doubled out to there?

A quick look at the schedules would tell you that there are three trainsets that leave Bramalea every morning - 5.55am, 7.38am and 9.20am. The last two of those run out from Union Station against the inbound flow of traffic over the single-tracked Weston Sub, so there isn't enough time to deadhead them out further to Mt. Pleasant.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The info I have says that they will be all-new consists, leaving at 6.15am and 7.30am. I don't have times for the return trips yet, unfortunately.

A quick look at the schedules would tell you that there are three trainsets that leave Bramalea every morning - 5.55am, 7.38am and 9.20am. The last two of those run out from Union Station against the inbound flow of traffic over the single-tracked Weston Sub, so there isn't enough time to deadhead them out further to Mt. Pleasant.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You didn't answer my question Dan

Sincerely,

Dan

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thanks.....5:55 a.m. does not exist for me! I always forget about the 7:38 (as a Brampton boarder I would never try to get to Bramalea for that train whereas I might sleep in and try for the 9:20....so it, in my twisted mind, became the only "extra" train from Bramalea).

I never spend enough time with train schedules to figure out how long it would take to get that empty train running back westbound (I am making a leap, even, that it is the same trainset that does all 3 of those runs?) and, frankly, was not aware that there remained any single track sections between Union and Mt. Pleasant.

EDIT by saying 5:55 does not exist for me I do not mean the train I mean the time.

I'm looking at the current 7 train departure times on the Milton line to try and figure out where they made add this fabled 8th train later this year.

Erindale AM Departures
0645, 0710, 0730, 0745, 0800, 0815, 0830.

If I had to make a guess, I think they'll move the 7:10 to 7:15 and slot in another train at 7:00 to make it look like:

0645, 0700, 0715, 0730, 0745, 0800, 0815, 0830.

That would make there be a train exactly every 15 minutes from 6:45 to 8:30 am.

As for evening, it's a bit more complicated.

Union PM Departures
1630, 1650, 1710, 1725, 1740, 1815, 1900

I'd change the 6:15 to a 6:05 and slot another one in at 6:30 narrowing the gap to no more than 30 minutes in between trains.

1630, 1650, 1710, 1725, 1740, 1805, 1830, 1900

Last edited:
I didn't answer your question because I don't have an answer for it. Have you tried emailing GO?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

And get a canned response? No. I don't see GO or any other official source feeling free to give me quotes about such matters.

GO Transit issued seven news releases today outlining the upcoming service changes effective on either April 2 or April 4.
To read the news releases, please visit the follow links on CNW's website:

Back