News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

They could do that… but the train service in the GTA overall is still too Union Stn centric so it’s highly unlikely they would do this at all. Milton all day 15 min or better service is more believable than them ever touching the RH line in the next 15 years.
Where is any believable evidence (not wishful thinking) that Milton will have 15 min or better service.

Where is any believable evidence (not wishful thinking) that Milton will have 15 min or better service.

I am a strong believer in evidence; facts are important.

In this case, I can't provide a public-facing document for you.

However, I can say this; there is a project plan with costed details, for delivering 2-way, All-day, 30 minute service to Milton. Whether or not the province pulls the trigger on funding it in the near term I honestly
couldn't say. There is no reason you couldn't do greater frequency, but I have neither seen nor heard pf a document planning for it circulating.

Last edited:

However, I can say this; there is a project plan with costed details, for delivering 2-way, All-day, 30 minute service to Milton. Whether or not the province pulls the trigger on funding it in the near term I honestly
couldn't say. There is no reason you couldn't do greater frequency, but I have neither seen nor heard pf a document planning for it circulating.
If they can’t even get the documented plans right how am I supposed to have faith in these behind closed doors project plans you speak of.

If they can’t even get the documented plans right how am I supposed to have faith in these behind closed doors project plans you speak of.

You can do as you wish, and think what you want. My track record here speaks for itself. The document exists.

Again, I'm not saying they will or will not greenlight delivering it, I don't know.

But I don't see why you spend your free time coming to UT to yell at strangers who are causing you no harm to tell them the world is going to hell and the bias against Mississauga is the key reason.

Mississauga is getting a big LRT; it got its transitway too; and its getting frequent GO Lakeshore service and it has GO co-pay, and now the Dundas BRT will get underway soon as well.

I think your imagined persecution complex is really over sold.

You can do as you wish, and think what you want. My track record here speaks for itself. The document exists.

Again, I'm not saying they will or will not greenlight delivering it, I don't know.

But I don't see why you spend your free time coming to UT to yell at strangers who are causing you no harm to tell them the world is going to hell and the bias against Mississauga is the key reason.

Mississauga is getting a big LRT; it got its transitway too; and its getting frequent GO Lakeshore service and it has GO co-pay, and now the Dundas BRT will get underway soon as well.

I think your imagined persecution complex is really over sold.
Sorry reasonable sir. I am not keeping track of your history of posts and if you’re a credible insider or not.

I’m very thankful for the LRT. Thank you for doing that. Thank you for the dundas BRT. Both of those things are nice. But all day go service to the downtown area of the sixth biggest city in the country is needed.

I will be perfectly happy if the mods want to block and or ban my account. I do realize being here for so many years and seeing project after project pushed down the road has made me far too grumpy for my age.

Last edited:
I’ll say this, knowing I’m helping to take this thread further off topic, but someone from Brampton whose spouse is from Scarborough, I find the idea that someone has a *Mississauga* persecution complex hilarious.

Brampton has a strong case. Scarborough? Meh. But Mississauga? 🤣

I’ll say this, knowing I’m helping to take this thread further off topic, but someone from Brampton whose spouse is from Scarborough, I find the idea that someone has a *Mississauga* persecution complex hilarious.

Brampton has a strong case. Scarborough? Meh. But Mississauga? 🤣
I do not have a Mississauga persecution complex. We have a great city which has grown to be the largest suburb of Toronto and a city of sorts in its own right. But for whatever reason cooksville or MCC is being shortchanged. I’m not here to argue who’s to blame for that. Whether it’s Bonnie, the province or the feds. I don’t really care. It just needs to be fixed. Brampton has all day GO. Scarborough has a subway extension. Transit wise i don’t know what either place would have a persecution complex about.

Last edited:

Curious if this involves construction of a parallel track and/or sidings, negotiation of more frequent passenger train service slots with CP, or a combination of both.

Curious if this involves construction of a parallel track and/or sidings, negotiation of more frequent passenger train service slots with CP, or a combination of both.

I have not seen all the details; but based on what I do know, there is definitely a meaningful capital component. The cost being bandied around was ~1B

So it is not be rerouted to MCC like Drum suggests.

I have not seen the section by section plans (which might change anyway); I know many favour an MCC diversion of GO; I'm not specifically aware of what @drum118 had to say on this recently. But, to my knowledge, that was not what was being looked at, at this time.

Not to beat on a dead horse here- I appreciate the post- but I looked back and realized I was referring to this (#10) from the big move:

View attachment 466365

Given the challenges, it just seems strange for Metrolinx to ever have considered it worthwhile to upgrade RH to 2WAD, even if it’s a long term vision. Obviously many things have changed since this initial plan, but I can’t wrap my head around what the logic was here. This seems to imply at some point upgrades were on the table, but the back-of-the-envelope analysis you are referring to must have shown why even minor improvements are impractical. Strange to have made it so far into a key planning document.

Perhaps I’m giving this too much weight. The same map shows the midtown corridor after all. Maybe it was just provincial crayoning.
Once Upon a time,

the GO 2020 Strategic Planning document did call for 2WAD to Meadowvale only.

The 2008 Big Move Strategic Plan called for 2WAD to Milton within 15 years

The 2012 Big Move Update moved this to a 16- to 25 year horizon

It remains as Project #53 in the 2041 Regional Transportation Plan

- Paul
I see I'm not the only one that remembers the Big Move. I wouldn't chalk it up to provincial crayoning, moreso that we made plans and politics mixed with reality sabotages those plans. I'll also point out that the GTHA freight bypass was a big project to help Milton and Kitchener, and the Wynne and Ford governments tore that to hell too, with no help form the feds' inaction.

If only we already had a bridge over the Don Valley, that would connect the north and south of the Richmond Hill line, avoid the grade crossing at Pottery Road and avoid much of the flooding areas, AND make a much better, straighter route as well.

Oh well, I guess we can always dream...

View attachment 466436

This is the Don Branch I was referring to.

As per always discussed, the issue is the southern half of the RH line that runs along the Don River.

Its prone to flooding

View attachment 466233

The work needed to fix this problem is quite expensive, and they don't want to pump more money into the rest of the line (electrification) until its fixed.

Personally I think they should buy a bunch of DMU's and run more consistent all day service along it, rather than electrify.

You could even just run from Bloomington to Oriole and have people transfer at Sheppard Leslie. This is what Montreal does with the St.Jerome line, during off-peak the trains stop at Parc station and you have to transfer to the Metro to get downtown.
If GO could create rail connections in West Toronto and Leaside, they could have emergency trackage available in case of future Don Valley River flooding. With transfers to Line 1 at North Toronto. For later use by a GO Midtown corridor.
map_terminal_1954.jpg

From link.

So it is not be rerouted to MCC like Drum suggests.
There was never a plan to service MCC by rail, but I and other have offer away to do it. There was some talks a decade ago about looking at an bypass to MCC with a few councilors calling for such route between Milton and MCC that went no where.

To do what I have proposed would cost somewhere between $2-3B.

I have no idea when the proposal first surface for a 3rd track in the Milton corridor, but it was to be in place by 2011 if I reminder correctly. By 2007, a 3rd track existed between Humber and Etobicoke Creek as well between Confederation and north of the 403. that service the Kipling and Erindale Station. There was a 3rd track between Cawthra and Hurontario as a storage track that could be upgraded to mainline standards. Don't recalled when ML built the extra bridges over Cawthra to allow for 4 tracks.

Lisgar Station was built as an centre and side platform with CP having 2 tracks on the southside of the existing track for the platform today. A tunnel, stairs and elevators for it was to be added at a future date.

Meadowvale was to see all day service with Milton down the road at some future date.

Wynne 2014 election transit platform call for the Milton Line to be upgrade to 4 tracks with a fly under at Humber at $2b+ and be in service by 2021, with it disappearing after the election.

Mississauga Road Grade Separation is a major issues as the Mill is to remain with service by CP and will require a new road to it as well existing places. This will require a fair number of homes that will have to be remove to do everything that needs to be done. A number of roads in Streetsville will have to be close as there is no way to grade separate them..

The current easy and cheap way to service MCC by rail to to use a Tram-Train using Hurontario LRT line.

The bridge over Hurontario St is supposed to heritage and would see a single track built on both side of it to support a 4 track corridor. ML rebuilt Cooksville station for a 3rd track on the northside of it..

Last edited:

Back