News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I have brought this up before, however I still find it really unfortunate that GO had a better system with special event trains back in the 1990’s. It was a lot better with multiple proper scheduled trains on 4 lines before and after events that were added into the schedules, which is better than today; announcing a single extra train a few minutes before it leaves on 1 or 2 lines.
how much of a cheque did the Blue Jays write GO for putting this facility on for their customers? (I think I know the answer - the Jays only worry when road lanes are impeded)

^The ridership has changed since the 1990s even if Skydome looks the same. Now there may be multiple events letting out at the same time -BMO Field, ACC, plus theatres Budweiser Stadium concerts, and other events. With events not necessarily ending to schedule (eg the extra innings or overtime scenario), there needs to be a dynamic process to set train times. It makes no sense to have a rigid schedule that would either launch empty trains before games get out, or cause massive crowding in the depot and on platforms because crowds had to wait for a train that was scheduled later, just in case.

In the old days of hourly service, it was a thing for game goers to have to make a decision.... do I stay for the 8th inning, or dash for the train? Nobody wants to miss Beyonce's encore just to make a train.

My recent experience with GO after evening games has been very positive. I have seen GO operating both express and local trains, which spreads loading across multiple platforms, addresses downstream needs (sending packed trains west to Exhibition where that platform is packed is a recipe for chaos), not to mention making the trip home a bit shorter.

The biggest problem I still see is people not balancing the load along the train length. Lots of folks either don't know that the east end of trains are empty, or they get turned around in Union and don't know which end of the platform is which. The Bay concourse is much lighter loaded than York, but people don't walk that far.

I too would like to see more trains added on more routes, but that has added logistical challenges. I am sure it will come as Ml finishes adding capacity on the lines it owns. Lastly, remember that this is a big draw on crewing and equipment - and fairly unproductive at that.

- Paul

I know the trains are at Union, but I don’t understand why the special events trains need to be announced so late.
Because they don't want people standing on the platforms.

The trains are all staged around Union, but are only platformed a couple of minutes before the trains are scheduled to leave.

Dan

The trains are all staged around Union, but are only platformed a couple of minutes before the trains are scheduled to leave.

Dan
I understand that, but I’m not saying they have to announce the platform long before the train leaves, I’m just saying that it would be better to have the train scheduled and everyone aware when it’s going to run further in advance.

It makes no sense to have a rigid schedule that would either launch empty trains before games get out, or cause massive crowding in the depot and on platforms because crowds had to wait for a train that was scheduled later, just in case.
But that’s not what they were doing, the train did wait until the game was over and would begin leaving 30 minutes after it concluded, and would be adjusted if there was any extra innings.
IMG_6294.jpeg

If it's only a couple of minutes, and doors close one minute before departure, that gives people 60 seconds to run up the stairs, and get through a door!

It isn't just about empty platforms. With the 15-minute wait at Union last weekend, with the adjusted Lakeshore East schedule, I came in from the west, and noticed that we sat at the platform for at least 10 minutes before the platform was announced on the screen next to the train; which was also when people started to board en masse.

I can see not wanting to crowd a platform before a train arrives; though I don't see any point in delaying the announcement once the train is in the station.

Reactions: PL1
I understand that, but I’m not saying they have to announce the platform long before the train leaves, I’m just saying that it would be better to have the train scheduled and everyone aware when it’s going to run further in advance.
I don't understand what you're asking then.

People at those events know about the trains. They tell them. They make announcements in the concourses to those waiting.

Just because it isn't broadcast in the schedules doesn't mean that they aren't planned for, and that they don't make sure that the trains are filled.

Dan

People at those events know about the trains. They tell them. They make announcements in the concourses to those waiting.
I'm often at events, and there's no information in the stadium. Often one doesn't know what's happening until one arrives at the stadium. And there's certainly no announcements on the Skywalk.

Are there even announcements in the York West (and Bay East) teamways - where I am after coming from Rogers Centre? I don't recall hearing any, now I think about it. Everyone is relying on the screens, or their phones.

I know the trains are at Union, but I don’t understand why the special events trains need to be announced so late. Milton and Richmond also don’t have more service the gaps that the 1990 schedule filled in are not filled in today.
I know, thats why I said "most lines"(I.e. Lakeshore, Kitchener, Barrie, Stouffville) but not all.

In terms of timing, again the exact train schedule isn't known until after the game ends. Those extra trains exist solely for those events and to deal with the surge crowds they bring, therefore it's entirely logical that their schedule would be depended on the actual time when the event ends which obviously would not be known until the game or event actually ends. Yes there's a general idea of when games and events end but there is no guarantee that it'll actually end at that time. Imo it's completely illogical to make a set schedule ahead of time under those circumstances. Say you have a set schedule that you release a day ahead of time, what if the game drags on or goes into extras/overtime are you still going to run the train at the prescheduled time even though most people haven't left the event yet? What's the point of running that train if it's going to be empty? They're probably going to delay the train and wait for those people right? So what's the point of making a set schedule when the train is only going to get delayed? And then technically everyone who bought tickets for that train can get a refund and ride for free if it's set back by more than 15 minutes which is often the case - that's probably the main reason right there. With a set schedule the service guarantee applies and it would be a huge money losing proposition.

I'm often at events, and there's no information in the stadium. Often one doesn't know what's happening until one arrives at the stadium. And there's certainly no announcements on the Skywalk.

Are there even announcements in the York West (and Bay East) teamways - where I am after coming from Rogers Centre? I don't recall hearing any, now I think about it. Everyone is relying on the screens, or their phones.
He's not talking about in the stadium or the Skywalk which isn't affiliated with GO Transit, he's talking about in the concourse(s) and online. That's where the information is disseminated. The teamways is another matter and indeed they can make announcements there. I know they make plenty of announcements in the councourses for the extra trains, but I'm not sure about the teamways. If they aren't then by all means they should do a better job there. I would suggest contacting metrolinx customer relations and making that recommendation to them.

Last edited:
At the last several TFC, Argo and Jays games that I have attended, they did announce that there would be additional trains after the games. I'm not sure why your experience is different.

Dan

I actually prefer that there is no "extended" use of signage outside of the station proper.

The last thing we need after a Jays game is a bunch of people pushing and running through the crowds because their phones tell them that a train is leaving in four minutes. At the moment, the pedestrian flow is calm and orderly, and people only know for sure when the next train is leaving when they get to the station area. Maybe they find out they will have a bit of a wait, but that's preferable to creating urgency to things.

- Paul

At the last several TFC, Argo and Jays games that I have attended, they did announce that there would be additional trains after the games. I'm not sure why your experience is different.
Which speakers are the announcements made over? Do they Union Station announcements reach the west York teamway?

I'm not aware of anything until you are in the stations proper. By which point it can be too late.

Which speakers are the announcements made over? Do they Union Station announcements reach the west York teamway?

I'm not aware of anything until you are in the stations proper. By which point it can be too late.
If it's too late to board the train when you see it on the screen in the station, then you have missed the train. Better to not have those people running to the station through the crowds of people in the hopes of catching that train

If it's too late to board the train when you see it on the screen in the station, then you have missed the train. Better to not have those people running to the station through the crowds of people in the hopes of catching that train
So don't put it on the boards at all? It was noted above that the policy is to only put it on the boards at Union about a minute before the door closes.

My experience is mostly at Exhibition; but there's times there is little warning there. At Union I've always guessed which platform it's on, and gone up to find it setting there almost empty, but with the doors open. Then about 10 minutes later there's a mad rush of people, after they put it on the screens.

So don't put it on the boards at all? It was noted above that the policy is to only put it on the boards at Union about a minute before the door closes.

My experience is mostly at Exhibition; but there's times there is little warning there. At Union I've always guessed which platform it's on, and gone up to find it setting there almost empty, but with the doors open. Then about 10 minutes later there's a mad rush of people, after they put it on the screens.
What? Who said anything about not putting it on the boards?

Back