News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Poor guy in red got pushed out of the train as the doors closed, might have gotten separated from his family. Maybe until service is high enough that post-game crowds won’t be an issue, they should have a set schedule when additional trains will be running so people don’t have to crowd into one like this.
It's even worse for us Barrie and Stouffville riders being crammed into buses after games with no updates on when we might get evening and weekend service back. This year's CNE will be pure chaos if trains aren't back, which will likely be the case.

It's even worse for us Barrie and Stouffville riders being crammed into buses after games with no updates on when we might get evening and weekend service back. This year's CNE will be pure chaos if trains aren't back, which will likely be the case.
I think they will be running extra trains during the CNE, they almost ran a Stouffville train a few weeks ago after TWICE performed in Toronto, but it was cancelled last minute.
However it still means they are open to running extra trains on those lines if need be.

I rode the Kitchener Line yesterday and it was only 6 cars, are you sure they put 10 car trains on the Kitchener Line at the end of June?
I'm not sure. I haven't been able to get out and check them out.

I'm simply going by what the internal crewing and scheduling documents are saying, which is that the weekend trains come out of Georgetown as of the last weekend of June.

Dan

A GO Bus service that I fondly remember, that no longer exists, is the one that would call solely at: Oriole and Old Cummer, when the trains weren’t in revenue service. I loved using this bus because after 9pm, the driver would let you off at the intermediate TTC stops along Leslie Street.

The current Richmond Hill buses skip everything south of Langstaff (/RHC). I’ve mentioned this in the past, but it would be nice to have these buses stop somewhere around Don Mills Station. (Edit: And possibly the bus loop at Seneca College.)

Last edited:
A GO Bus service that I fondly remember, that no longer exists, is the one that would call solely at: Oriole and Old Cummer, when the trains weren’t in revenue service. I loved using this bus because after 9pm, the driver would let you off at the intermediate TTC stops along Leslie Street.

The current Richmond Hill buses skip everything south of Langstaff (/RHC). I’ve mentioned this in the past, but it would be nice to have these buses stop somewhere around Don Mills Station. (Edit: And possibly the bus loop at Seneca College.)
They really love avoiding stopping anywhere else in Toronto besides Union when it comes to their bus replacement service for the train lines. Imagine if we got stops at Downsview Park, Etobicoke North, Kipling, Oriole to name a few, this would help significantly for the network. Just wish they could stop relying so much on the TTC to only service Toronto.

Is there any reason why GO never renamed GEXR1 to fit the standard radio channel names seen elsewhere on the GO network? They renamed other channels when they bought the tracks, so why didn’t they do the same for GEXR1?
You_Doodle+_2023-07-18T06_24_00Z.jpeg

Last edited:
GO has moved off the old AAR frequencies (which CN and CPKC still use) to the newer NXDN radio technology which has new frequencies as well as a digital transmission mode. The freight railways are supposed to follow suit, but it is a bigger network transition for them, and they are in no hurry.

I'm surprised to see USRC on CN1 (ARR 8787) - for a long time they were on ARR 1010. Perhaps that makes things easier for VIA.

Before the change, the airwaves were getting horribly congested especially on CN 1 because of all the Rule 42's... at rush hour there could be a huge number of GO trains talking all over each other trying to get permission from track foremen to pass through all the Rule 42 work limits. To my ear, the situation was downright unsafe because the airwaves never stopped talking. With the new GO setup, that problem has been eliminated.

The Guelph Sub is still dispatched by a contractor and I assume that it may be technically difficult (or costly) to transition the base towers for that radio system over to the GO network. With both GEXR and CN in the mix, any change would be complicated. The current setup out there works well, so if it ain't broke.....

- Paul

Last edited:
Is there any way why GO never renamed GEXR1 to fit the standard radio channel names seen elsewhere on the GO network? They renamed other channels when they bought the tracks, so why didn’t they do the same for GEXR1?View attachment 492974

That part of the Guelph sub is still dispatched by RailTerm. Presumably whenever that contract ends and MX takes over the dispatching they'll switch the radio channels over.

Before the change, the airwaves were getting horribly congested especially on CN 1 because of all the Rule 42's... at rush hour there could be a huge number of GO trains talking all over each other trying to get permission from track foremen to pass through all the Rule 42 work limits. To my ear, the situation was downright unsafe because the airwaves never stopped talking. With the new GO setup, that problem has been eliminated.
Very insightful, thanks Paul.

Is there any reason why GO never renamed GEXR1 to fit the standard radio channel names seen elsewhere on the GO network? They renamed other channels when they bought the tracks, so why didn’t they do the same for GEXR1?View attachment 492974
That section is under Railterm RTC still even though it's owned by Metrolinx... the other sections with GO Channels are done by Metrolinx RTC

One further factoid - Railterm is now a subsidiary of Siemens, and handles the RTC function for numerous short lines in Canada.

- Paul

Back