News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Niagara to Union train this morning got delayed at the lift bridge and was ~30 minutes behind at West Harbour. It ran express direct to Union from Aldershot, resulting in the train making up 15 minutes and only arriving 15 minutes behind schedule. This also meant the West Harbour to Union portion was sub-hour (~55 minutes), without even running at full speed the whole run. Hopefully, in the future, they can have some Hamilton express trains that only stop at Oakville and Port Credit to keep a sub-hour time.

The full all day trips to Barrie and Stouffville reinstated again on the weekends makes this change the first time that all 5 currently planned GO RER lines (+ UPX as a bonus) are running all day minimum hourly, 7 days a week. That is one step closer to getting more services on each of the lines and shows that progress is actually being achieved.

Even if this is kind of the bare minimum its still better than having no trains at all, as shown with what the Barrie and Stouffville line passengers had to deal with for months and the Kitchener line dealt with it worse for years before its weekend service started.

This is a great start, but restoring evening service is sorely needed. The bus terminal is extremely jammed after Jays games, concerts, etc., and now we'll have students taking evening classes again.

Surprised there aren't any GO buses that go to the Seneca Finch campus despite the 41 GO buses basically passing nearby on the 404. Most Post Secondary campuses in Toronto don't get serviced directly by GO but in those cases there are the Subways, and Streetcars/LRT that most students rely on in this case, but for Seneca it is far from a Subway station (guess Don Mills isn't that far from it but still) and its right next to a highway. If Centennial and UTSC can be serviced by GO, Seneca most definitely can as well.

The full all day trips to Barrie and Stouffville reinstated again on the weekends makes this change the first time that all 5 currently planned GO RER lines (+ UPX as a bonus) are running all day minimum hourly, 7 days a week. That is one step closer to getting more services on each of the lines and shows that progress is actually being achieved.

Even if this is kind of the bare minimum its still better than having no trains at all, as shown with what the Barrie and Stouffville line passengers had to deal with for months and the Kitchener line dealt with it worse for years before its weekend service started.
Must be nice, I say, as being on the Milton line it doesn’t help me one bit.

It’s really unfortunate that Mississauga gets the short end of the stick when it comes to GO improvement. And yes I realize that Lakeshore and Kitchener lines technically have stops in Mississauga.

Must be nice, I say, as being on the Milton line it doesn’t help me one bit.

It’s really unfortunate that Mississauga gets the short end of the stick when it comes to GO improvement. And yes I realize that Lakeshore and Kitchener lines technically have stops in Mississauga.
Sorry to say, but unless the provincial (and) Federal government get serious about the Missing Link, the Milton Line will see virtually no improvements anytime in the future.

Sorry to say, but unless the provincial (and) Federal government get serious about the Missing Link, the Milton Line will see virtually no improvements anytime in the future.
There's lots of room to add tracks along the CP alignment. I'd think that section would carry less freight than the Oshawa-Bowmanville CP section that GO is going to use. And that section of CP mainline west of Smith Falls that's being talked about for HFR.

The issue is funding. What happened to the Liberals promise during the 2021 election to provide funding for all-day service on the Milton line? Have they even mentioned it since they got re-elected?

With roughly 1B in investment, universal triple tracking, and selective 4th tracking, Milton can do 2-way, all-day, 30M frequency.

Not quite RER service, but radically better than today, and very feasible, no missing link required.

There's lots of room to add tracks along the CP alignment. I'd think that section would carry less freight than the Oshawa-Bowmanville CP section that GO is going to use. And that section of CP mainline west of Smith Falls that's being talked about for HFR.

The issue is funding. What happened to the Liberals promise during the 2021 election to provide funding for all-day service on the Milton line? Have they even mentioned it since they got re-elected?

They publicly stated they would provide 1/2 of the 1B required, or 500M; the Ford gov't never publicly answered and nothing went forward.

To be clear, w/o letting Ford off the hook at all, I expect the offer may well have been expected to go nowhere but was put out there anyway for optics....... but I can't be certain.

Maybe if Bonnie becomes Premier she can bring home the pork...ahem bacon.

They publicly stated they would provide 1/2 of the 1B required, or 500M; the Ford gov't never publicly answered and nothing went forward.

To be clear, w/o letting Ford off the hook at all, I expect the offer may well have been expected to go nowhere but was put out there anyway for optics....... but I can't be certain.

I'm not sure I like the optics of a federal Minister promising a bauble for his own riding, anymore than I liked Del Duca's games, .... even if it gets us a line I can get behind. And now that he's retiring..... is the deal over?

It's high time however that ML tackled a business case analysis for a next wave of projects. GO Expansion should not end with the scope laid out in the OnCorr deal. Certainly, Milton should be high on that list.,

- Paul

Last edited:
Question for GO transit nerds. Does anyone have a Lakeshore West train schedule from 2018, or know where I can find it?

Thanks!

I'm not sure I like the optics of a federal Minister promising a bauble for his own riding, anymore than I liked Del Duca's games, .... even if it gets us a line I can get behind. And now that he's retiring..... is the deal over?

It's high time however that ML tackled a business case analysis for a next wave of projects. GO Expansion should not end with the scope laid out in the OnCorr deal. Certainly, Milton should be high on that list.,

- Paul
It's an interesting thought process as to what may count as "RER - Phase 2". Projects I'd like to see:

- Milton 15 min
- LSW 15 min extension to Hamilton Centre
- Stouffville 15 min extension to Mount Joy, All-day to Stouffville
- Bolton Line (all day)
- Richmond Hill all day service
- 407 GO line, Mississauga City Centre to Markham Centre
- Brantford GO expansion
- Cambridge GO Extension (from Guelph)
- LSE 15 min extension to Downtown Oshawa

Back