News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Has this new Lakeshore West station previously been announced? If so, can anyone provide some information links?
My sense is that he was either referring to Park Lawn or he simply misspoke. He probably saw all the construction around Long Branch, and thought "huh, new station!".

Reactions: rbt
transcript from the video:

"a new go station on lakeshore west line"

Doesnt really say where but you can infer that its near the lakeview village

all historic gamechanging Investments for misas Saga and forel this is one of the fastest growing regions in North America we're adding over 20,000 new homes along the Waterfront at the Brightwater and Lake View Village this includes thousands of new affordable and attainable homes within steps of Transit including a new go transit station on the Lakeshore westline to offer more Transit options to get more cars off the road and more people out of gridlock but we know that the new water and wastewater infrastructure is critical to

My sense is that he was either referring to Park Lawn or he simply misspoke. He probably saw all the construction around Long Branch, and thought "huh, new station!".
I really doubt that honestly, not the same city or region. Last year the province of Ontario announced a program that aimed to push developers to propose and fund new GO stations that link to their developments, this to me seems like the first one that’s happening.

Last edited:

Agreed. A random Mississauga MPP doesn't announce a moderately substantial transit spending item for the first time when Ford is standing right there and you don't accidentally forget to invite the Minister of Transportation when announcing a large new transit spending item too.

Also, Metrolinx has not publicly evaluated a station between Long Branch and Clarkson nor did Mississauga consider asking for a station while planning the Lakeview site.

The only thing new here is $35M in sewer treatment capital funding.

Link to station evaluation document since Metrolinx purged old agenda items from their website:

If there was nothing else prior to today...........

And its not in the news release.........which I don't see..........

Then.......he accidentally pre-announced it.

None of the quotes in the backgrounder reference a new station.

To be clear, I'm sure its real......it just wasn't meant to be public yet.

transcript from the video:

"a new go station on lakeshore west line"

Doesnt really say where but you can infer that its near the lakeview village
Not a fan of adding another station on the LSW line. They're already adding Park Lawn which is a stones throw away from Mimico. If they add Lakeview, then the trains are going to be in a constant state of acceleration and deceleration. People coming from Burlington and beyond are not going to appreciate the longer trips.

If we keep adding stops to our lines then we seriously need to consider adopting the "skip stop" like they have in European countries.

I'm looking at Lakeview on Google maps. It's not that far from Long branch. What's wrong with taking the bus to Long branch? Alvin even spoke of constructing a BRT on Lakeshore that goes from Clarkson to Long Branch.

The plan is that there will be a metro like service in the more urban areas of the GO network which means a combination of more stops and more frequency. I'm sure on the Lakeshore line there will be services that bypass many of the stations between Oakville and Downtown once the service is fully implemented.

Not a fan of adding another station on the LSW line. They're already adding Park Lawn which is a stones throw away from Mimico. If they add Lakeview, then the trains are going to be in a constant state of acceleration and deceleration. People coming from Burlington and beyond are not going to appreciate the longer trips.

If we keep adding stops to our lines then we seriously need to consider adopting the "skip stop" like they have in European countries.

I'm looking at Lakeview on Google maps. It's not that far from Long branch. What's wrong with taking the bus to Long branch? Alvin even spoke of constructing a BRT on Lakeshore that goes from Clarkson to Long Branch.
Repeat after me:

There will be frequent all day express service.

People from Burlington and beyond are not going to be stopping at this station because the local service will only go as far as Burlington Station anyway. If you don't want to stop at a lot of stations, then don't take a local train.

Last edited:
Repeat after me:

There will be frequent all day express service.

People from beyond Burlington will NOT be stopping at this station because the local service will only go as far as Burlington Station anyway. If you don't want to stop at a lot of stations, then don't take a local train.
I'm just saying, it's a 5 minute bus ride to Long Branch GO from the proposed Lakeview Village site. Obviously the bus stops that exist at Lakeview today are very bare bones and inadequate. Once Lakeview Village begins to take shape, we can improve the stops to become full fledge, bus shelters. Build bike lanes, and people can easily bike to Long Branch from Lakeview.

Lakeview.png

I'm just saying, it's a 5 minute bus ride to Long Branch GO from the proposed Lakeview Village site. Obviously the bus stops that exist at Lakeview today are very bare bones and inadequate. Once Lakeview Village begins to take shape, we can improve the stops to become full fledge, bus shelters. Build bike lanes, and people can easily bike to Long Branch from Lakeview.

View attachment 586762
So? It doesn't affect people coming further away. People from Oakville, Burlington and west would need to get off their express train and transfer to a local train to even get to the new station. Complaining about this station slowing down trips from beyond Burlington is like complaining about Glencairn station slowing down trips from Barrie. The station is not even on the same service.

Last edited:

Anyone west of Clarkson will be getting all-day express service skipping all these stops, and anyone east of Clarkson is going to get electrified service which mitigates the time penalties from the new stations.

So? It doesn't affect people coming further away. People from Oakville, Burlington and west would need to get off their express train and transfer to a local train to stop at the new station. Complaining about this station slowing down trips from beyond Burlington is like complaining about Glencairn station slowing down trips from Barrie. The station is not even on the same service.
Express trains only run during peak/ rush hours. What about people who take the train during the middle of the day or late in the evening?

Anyone west of Clarkson will be getting all-day express service skipping all these stops, and anyone east of Clarkson is going to get electrified service which mitigates the time penalties from the new stations.
You guys keep talking about electrification as if it's right around the corner.

Could the "New Go Station" actually just be some bad wording for the renovations at Long Branch. With the renovations Long Branch will have new platforms and a new station building, maybe they are saying that is "new".

Long term having a station between PC and Long Branch could make sense with the high frequencies available on the line, just tough to see a good place to build it right now.

You guys keep talking about electrification as if it's right around the corner.
And is a station at Lakeview going to pop up overnight? No, obviously we expect it will be delivered in conjunction with electrification and corridor expansion.

What’s important to understand is in the long term, as we continually expand transit, this one corridor gets two birds stoned at once. It has some subway-like stop distances and frequencies as well as long haul express options.

There will be negligible losses to some trips for some period of ramp up time I’m sure. Overall it’s a huge win for what should be a pretty cheap infill station – considering lots of track work was already going to occur in this area.

Back