News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

I'm assuming you're referring to the 407 freight bypass? I remember the Ontario Liberals making the announcement, but no one from CN was at the announcement. I don't think anything was agreed on yet either. They just announced that CN and the government had an "understanding".

I'm wondering if the flyover they recently announced west of Georgetown would still be necessary if the 407 freight bypass had been constructed. The bypass would eliminate the conflict point between CN and GO west of Georgetown, probably making the flyover no longer necessary.

I'm pretty sure someone from CN was at the announcement. I could try to find the video later.

Update: CN tweeted it out the June 14, 2016 press conference.

Further update: Here's the press release and I believe the CN executive quarter is the one who spoke at the announcement.

Final update: Luc Jubin from CN was at the announcement (see the red arrow) addition to being quoted in the press release. I believe he spoke as well. For cross-referencing, other pictures of Luc here.

(Note: the Brampton Board of Trade CEO at the time was Todd Letts but they transferred the account to the present CEO which is why it says Jaipaul Singh Massey).

Screenshot_2024-09-13_101251.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realize that proposal existed! if a bus loop is there, I don't see why they can't squeeze a fourth track in there.

The fourth track has been planned on paper. The challenge is, it is better placed on the north side, and that would mean additional impacts and cost (moving the heritage station is one, but not the biggest from a technical perspective).

I suspect it would sink the price tag if done at the same time as the third track..... but it may be needed sooner than we think. I would have been happier if they had just bit the bullet and committed to it as well.

For that matter, I wonder if the current expansion really provides enough capacity for what ought to be coming on that route and beyond. Collenette's High Speed Rail study hinted at a new alignment. Perhaps that was just wishful thinking - but someone really ought to be planning rail capacity across Southern Ontario. That's an urban planning/ land use question as much as a transit/transportation question. ML's (eventual) extension of 2WAD to Kitchener is a start, but between the opportunity to expand connectivity to Pearson Airport and the potential for express rail that may be incompatible with the ML 2WAD infrastructure, there is a lot more to be worked on here. And the pressure on the 401 speaks to how badly this is needed.

- Paul

Back