News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

A First
TORONTO, Sept. 20, 2011 /CNW/ - To accommodate those attending Nuit Blanche, GO Transit will run two extra late-night homebound trips along the Lakeshore lines in the early hours of October 2, 2011.
Nuit Blanche is a free all-night contemporary art event in downtown Toronto starting at dusk on Saturday, October 1 and ending at sunrise on Sunday, October 2.
After regular GO Train service ends for the evening on October 1, GO will run extra late-night homebound trains along the Lakeshore lines:

• Lakeshore West trains will depart Union Station at 1:30 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. making all stops to Aldershot GO Station.
  • Lakeshore East trains will depart Exhibition GO Station at 1:20 a.m. and 3:20 a.m. making all stops to Oshawa GO Station.
For those passengers staying all night, the first train trips out of Union Station on Sunday morning are the 6:43 a.m. westbound to Aldershot and the 7:13 a.m. eastbound to Oshawa.
Visit gotransit.com for information about this extra service, as well as regular schedule information.
As part of our Passenger Charter, we promise to make your experience comfortable, visit gotransit.com/promise/comfort.
For more information on GO services, the public can call 416.869.3200, 1.888.GET ON GO (438.6646), 1.800.387.3652 TTY, or visit gotransit.com.
GO Transit is the Province of Ontario's interregional public transit system linking Toronto with the surrounding regions of the Greater Toronto & Hamilton Area. GO carries about 57 million passengers a year in an extensive network of train and bus services that spans over 10,000 square kilometres. GO Transit is a division of Metrolinx, an agency of the Province of Ontario. Follow GO on Twitter and Facebook.
Disponible en français

For further information: Media enquiries - Vanessa Thomas, (416) 874-5974 or Malon Edwards, (416) 874-5945.

Of course.....only those people who live near the Lakeshore would ever want to go to an event in the city! I think this makes GO 4 for 4 on additional service only to Lakeshoreites since they commented that they would experiment with additional service to other lines for special events.......it has always been a sore point with me and them suggesting it, and not following through, just makes it worse. They would have been better (IMO) just staying silent and pretending to ignore the fact that they are just a Lakeshore service that dabbles elsewhere...acknowledging it and then doing nothing about it makes it worse somehow!

Of course.....only those people who live near the Lakeshore would ever want to go to an event in the city! I think this makes GO 4 for 4 on additional service only to Lakeshoreites since they commented that they would experiment with additional service to other lines for special events.......it has always been a sore point with me and them suggesting it, and not following through, just makes it worse. They would have been better (IMO) just staying silent and pretending to ignore the fact that they are just a Lakeshore service that dabbles elsewhere...acknowledging it and then doing nothing about it makes it worse somehow!

Come On. Its way easier to get to Vaughan or Richmond Hill from Downtown then Burlington. You take the Subway and then Viva.

Agree. Lakeshore really is not convenient to me. If I were to drive there, I'd just drive downtown.

Come On. Its way easier to get to Vaughan or Richmond Hill from Downtown then Burlington. You take the Subway and then Viva.

How about the north end of Mississauga and other communities served by the Milton line? How about, Brampton (with a population greater than Richmond Hill and Vaughan combined) and the other communities served by the Georgetown line?

Oakville/Vaughan/Richmond Hill might be the most famous and favoured of Toronto's burbs....but they are not the only ones and certainly not where the most people live.

If GO wants to serve Nuit Blanche they should do it on all lines with buses.....not on two lines with 12 car trains!

If GO wants to serve Nuit Blanche they should do it on all lines with buses.....not on two lines with 12 car trains!

dog+in+the+manger.jpg

How about the north end of Mississauga and other communities served by the Milton line? How about, Brampton (with a population greater than Richmond Hill and Vaughan combined) and the other communities served by the Georgetown line?

Oakville/Vaughan/Richmond Hill might be the most famous and favoured of Toronto's burbs....but they are not the only ones and certainly not where the most people live.

And who says they won't take the bus? Bus traffic on weekends is already low.

Vaughan and Richmond Hill or not on lakeshore at all.

Last edited:
And who says they won't take the bus? Bus traffic on weekends is already low.

Vaughan and Richmond Hill or not on lakeshore at all.

There is no bus at 3:30 a.m. on any of the lines.....there is, though, a very large (and I suspect substantially empty) train on the Lakeshore line. Perhaps I am not explaining my point well....GO continues to provide far more service on the Lakeshore line than any other....and when there are special events they augment their service (on Lakeshore only) further....totally ignoring the majority of their customers who live on other lines.

There is no bus at 3:30 a.m. on any of the lines.....there is, though, a very large (and I suspect substantially empty) train on the Lakeshore line. Perhaps I am not explaining my point well....GO continues to provide far more service on the Lakeshore line than any other....and when there are special events they augment their service (on Lakeshore only) further....totally ignoring the majority of their customers who live on other lines.

You're explaining your point just fine, fyi. I'm not sure what's hard to understand about it.

I didn't say that. I said Milton, Georgetown, Stouffville Have bus between and after peak hours. The Train is a one time event. Barrie, Stouffville and Lakeshore are getting expanded service soon. Miltonis owneed by CP. That is not GO's fault. CP won't all more traffic on the lines.

I didn't say that. I said Milton, Georgetown, Stouffville Have bus between and after peak hours. The Train is a one time event. Barrie, Stouffville and Lakeshore are getting expanded service soon. Miltonis owneed by CP. That is not GO's fault. CP won't all more traffic on the lines.

And if you read my post, I am not questioning the regular/everyday disparity of service...I get that there're physical limitations and some of those are (finally) being addressed. What I am questioning is the logic (indeed the fairness) of GO only adding extra service for special events on the Lakeshore line and not the others! Surely if they can add a 3 a.m. Train on Lakeshore, they could also add 3 a.m. "train-buses" on each of the other lines....no? After all, it was they who suggested that this year they would add extra service for special events on the other lines!

I also think it is silly to add a train on Lakeshore for this particular event. Running a twelve car train when, in all likelihood, a bus going to the train stations would meet the demand is just throwing money away!

And if you read my post, I am not questioning the regular/everyday disparity of service...I get that there're physical limitations and some of those are (finally) being addressed. What I am questioning is the logic (indeed the fairness) of GO only adding extra service for special events on the Lakeshore line and not the others! Surely if they can add a 3 a.m. Train on Lakeshore, they could also add 3 a.m. "train-buses" on each of the other lines....no? After all, it was they who suggested that this year they would add extra service for special events on the other lines!

I also think it is silly to add a train on Lakeshore for this particular event. Running a twelve car train when, in all likelihood, a bus going to the train stations would meet the demand is just throwing money away!

Oh Ok. I agree then. There should be more buses.

I will put it here as this is the best place for it.

GO is removing the rail fan seats from all its cab cars by removing the window and closing the door off to the public.

I was on 243 to NF that had window removed, but the door was open since there was a 3rd crew member on Monday.

On Thursdays, I was on 227 with the window removed and door close. This is the first time in a year I have got on this train where there wasn't a 3rd crew member seating in the rail fan seat. Could be he was in with with the other 2 members.

Coming home on 203, window in.

So you better catch what you want to see out the front ASP, otherwise you lost it.

The reason given for this change is due to the lights at night being too bright. I find this odd considering how long these cab cars been around and I think it is something else.

The reason given for this change is due to the lights at night being too bright. I find this odd considering how long these cab cars been around and I think it is something else.

It has been a problem for a long time. When CN was operating the trains GO simply brushed them off, but complaints have gotten more numerous since Bombardier took over. They have tried a number of different methods of reducing the glare, and nothing was found to be completely adequate.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back