News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

And, hopefully, you were answered by the "join the line of all the other non-Lakeshore lines that have been wondering that for years/decades". ;)
And we were. :D
The question is, however, why [Barrie]? Why no one else?
Almost certainly because Metrolinx owns the entire line.

Secondly, you could make the case that Barrie/Newmarket/Aurora are sufficiently far from local transit options to downtown so as to be a non-competitive environment.

Honest question....is there more construction on the weekends than during the week?
I see a lot more construction on the approaches to Union, and in the platforms at Union, at the weekend, compared to the week. Not sure about the lines themselves, as I'm normally on Lakeshore.

Secondly, you could make the case that Barrie/Newmarket/Aurora are sufficiently far from local transit options to downtown so as to be a non-competitive environment.

Maybe that's it? Barrie does seem to be the golden child as of late.

I'm also getting "hella jealous" of the Barrie line, but I also assume there will be no increases to rail service on Stouffville until the bridge and signal work is done. It looks like this work is almost complete, so I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll at least get another afternoon rush-hour run in the fall (it had been rumoured for the spring, but we just got more bus runs).

One bit of good news for K-W is that our Premier has made it pretty clear that those votes and voters are important to him. He has already taken a job (head of the WSIB) and turned it from a part-time gig at around $120k a year into a full time gig of nearly $200k a year (I think it is $188k) to lure a PC politician to retire from politics and create the need for a by-election.

Given he has shown he is willing to write big cheques (*cough*gas plants/mississauga/oakville/billions*cough*) to win seats.....the transit loving habitants of K-W should do us all a favour and put the price of that seat at full electrification and 7 day a week bi-directional GO service!

Seriously, now is your chance K-W to change the commuting landscape forever!!!!

oops, sorry, got a bit dilusional there thinking that some transit decisions are politically motivated ;) disregard!

No one going to a cottage up in Wasaga or Collingwood in their right minds would take the train. How are they going to bring the family pet? What about the kids? In-laws? Supplies?

The advent of the car brought the cottage culture to the masses, and should the car die so will the phenomenon of the weekend at the cottage.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I was thinking more the day-trippers who go to Wasaga for the day. Hang out on the beach and in town, and then go home. Maybe spend a night in a hotel or campground there.

Count me in as totally jealous of Barrie of all lines getting 7-day service. Milton can move to 8 trains on a weekday, but can't have any trains on a weekend? Bah. It's the next busiest line after the Lakeshore service!

I was thinking more the day-trippers who go to Wasaga for the day. Hang out on the beach and in town, and then go home. Maybe spend a night in a hotel or campground there.

How long would it take for a return trip from Toronto to Union? My guess is the travel time relative to time left for fun would turn off most day trippers.

Its about an hour and 45 minutes on the train to Barrie, and it would be another 45 minute bus ride to Wasaga Beach, so if you assume a 15 minute cushion for transfers, thats 2 hrs and 45 minutes. If the train skipped a few minor suburban stops it might cut down the total time to 2.5 hours. Thats far for a day trip, but I'd probably do it once a year if it was available. And its definitely better than driving up there if you're staying in Wasaga for a weekend.

Anyway, I applaud any effort that makes it easier to live without a car.

Yeah, stop whining. :) Brampton has it much worse!
Though we see lots of money being spent on Brampton, with some serious service upgrades expected by 2018.

Milton could carry a lot of people all day, especially if Metrolinx builds their proposed spur to Mississauga City Centre.

Though we see lots of money being spent on Brampton, with some serious service upgrades expected by 2018.

all depends on your definition of serious upgrades. On april 20th I received a response to an email I sent them on a few matters and they answered one of my questions with this response.

As far as the Brampton Guardian article that states GO will be delaying all-day, two-way commuter service on the Kitchener line, there has never been any plans to introduce all-day, two-way service on the Kitchener line for Opening Day 2015. We have always projected to increase the existing service by about 50% from current levels. Future all-day, two-way service will occur when the ridership grows to a level that warrants this level of service, and GO Transit’s ability to service that demand both financially and technically. The Georgetown South Project is building the necessary infrastructure to accommodate future all-day, two-way service.

So, using Brampton station as a "proxy" for the line, growth to 7 or 8 inbound trains a day and 9 homebound trains would satisfy that 50% target. As for offpeak......well 50% of zero is zero.

I recognize that your post says 2018 but they sort of cover that with the standard if/when/maybe blanket statement in the second last sentence. The last part of the last statement "accomodate future all-day service" I think has been in every correspondenc I have ever received from GO and I wrote my first letter to them on expanded GO trains to Brampton in 1988...so that is not really a meaningful statement (to me).

You are right, a lot of money is being spent on this corridor (something again, I was told in the late nineties was going to happen...and needed the ARL to come along to get it going) and this "ambitous" 50% increase in service level just does not seem to be making use of that investment in any meaningful manner.

Last edited:
Barrie weekend service details are out:

Barrie weekend GO Train service pilot

This summer, we're running a pilot weekend train service along the Barrie line.

Every Saturday, Sunday and holiday between June 23 and September 3, we will run:

Six southbound train trips to Union Station. Two trips will depart Allandale Waterfront GO Station at 10:20 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.; four trips will depart East Gwillimbury GO Station at 1:20 p.m., 4:12, 8:00 and 10:55*
Six northbound train trips will make all stops from Union Station. Two trips will arrive at Allandale Waterfront at 5:25 p.m. and 12:10 a.m.; four trips will arrive at East Gwillimbury at 12:10 p.m., 3:01, 6:50 and 9:41*
Four new weekend GO Buses will meet trains at East Gwillimbury GO Station making all stops to and from the Barrie Bus Terminal.

Check back later for detailed schedules.

Its about an hour and 45 minutes on the train to Barrie, and it would be another 45 minute bus ride to Wasaga Beach, so if you assume a 15 minute cushion for transfers, thats 2 hrs and 45 minutes. If the train skipped a few minor suburban stops it might cut down the total time to 2.5 hours. Thats far for a day trip, but I'd probably do it once a year if it was available. And its definitely better than driving up there if you're staying in Wasaga for a weekend.

Anyway, I applaud any effort that makes it easier to live without a car.

Jwill....aside from the very long journey, the schedule makes "day tripping" to Wasaga from Toronto impossible. All of the southbound trips are southbound and all of the evening trips are northbound. As noted, this is essentially an extension of M-F service to the weekends (not a bad thing in itself and something that I think should be done on all lines) but any suggestion that this train service makes day trips to Wasaga, or area, possible by train is just not true. In fact, a "day at Wasaga by train" will require two overnight stays (train up on Friday night....day at the beach on Saturday....train back down on Sunday morning).

Back