News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

My problem is more with the line they chose to gauge it and not the wishy-washy language (although that annoys somewhat as well).

They should do it on a line that already has proven off-peak ridership (cough-cough, Milton, cough-cough).

Although I recognize the potential problems with that, the amount of trains they're doing on Barrie are hardly extensive or prohibitive to do on other lines.

Several folks have explained repeatedly why there are obvious and understandable business reasons that GO would put weekend two-way on Barrie (and potentially Stouffville next) rather than Milton. You really are a relentless homer for all things Mississauga.

GO is updating the design on new coaches. From Railway Gazette:

http://www.railwaygazette.com/nc/ne...d-bilevel-coaches-ordered-for-go-transit.html

tn_ca-gotransit-bombardier-bilevel-revised-impression.jpg

Interesting. That's going to be the new rear cab it seems.

Metrolinx has awarded Bombardier Transportation a C$200m order to supply commuter operator GO Transit with 60 double-deck coaches to an updated version of Bombardier's BiLevel design.... for entry into service from spring 2015.

That's 5 more 12-car trains, in time for the big year of 2015, when they keep claiming they will increase service.

That will cut down on the sarcastic comments I keep hearing on the weekends on the train platforms about the trains running backwards.

That will cut down on the sarcastic comments I keep hearing on the weekends on the train platforms about the trains running backwards.

Are you serious??? Are we that ignorant of rail technology in this region (granted we don't really have much of a rail infrastructure) that people are amused by a train running backwards? This is pretty standard now and I'm sure this is a standard feature on all, or most, new locomotives to be able to operated both in push and pull directions. Sure it's a little odd to see it with a locomotive such as the FP-40 (IIRC) at the front of the consist vs say an locomotive unit which is in the middle of the consist or multiple MU's spread out which act both as motive power and passenger space. I mean the subway trains operate backwards nobody seems shocked at that.

I don't think facts like this are limited solely to rail fans such as the members of this board. Meh...

Are you serious??? Are we that ignorant of rail technology in this region (granted we don't really have much of a rail infrastructure) that people are amused by a train running backwards? This is pretty standard now and I'm sure this is a standard feature on all, or most, new locomotives to be able to operated both in push and pull directions. Sure it's a little odd to see it with a locomotive such as the FP-40 (IIRC) at the front of the consist vs say an locomotive unit which is in the middle of the consist or multiple MU's spread out which act both as motive power and passenger space. I mean the subway trains operate backwards nobody seems shocked at that.

I don't think facts like this are limited solely to rail fans such as the members of this board. Meh...

The kids still want to see a caboose in the back!

Are you serious??? Are we that ignorant of rail technology in this region (granted we don't really have much of a rail infrastructure) that people are amused by a train running backwards?
I don't hear it on weekdays - only on weekends, when there's people travelling on GO who very rarely travel on GO, heading to/from some event downtown. But on those days, I do frequently hear it.

Several folks have explained repeatedly why there are obvious and understandable business reasons that GO would put weekend two-way on Barrie (and potentially Stouffville next) rather than Milton. You really are a relentless homer for all things Mississauga.

Yeah, it's the same reason GO/Metrolinx doesn't improve off-peak service for Lakeshore: lack of parking space. GO/Metrolinx is a business, not a social service. GO/Metrolinx is trying to attract a particular clientele here. Parking space is the #1 priority. Pedestrian or local transit access is secondary. The unwashed peasants using the local buses would just ruin the atmosphere of the GO Trains.

I don't hear it on weekdays - only on weekends, when there's people travelling on GO who very rarely travel on GO, heading to/from some event downtown. But on those days, I do frequently hear it.

Still somehow I wouldn't expect to hear such comments from someone riding the LIRR in NY, a regional train in London, or an AMT train in Montreal even on weekends. Then again I didn't expect such a comment from someone in the GTA.

I remember years ago someone in the media saying that they won't ride a GO train if the loco is on the back. (It's less safe, they claimed.) It must have been tough planning so that all your trips to only use trains that pass through Union in an eastbound direction.

I remember years ago someone in the media saying that they won't ride a GO train if the loco is on the back. (It's less safe, they claimed.) It must have been tough planning so that all your trips to only use trains that pass through Union in an eastbound direction.
Given that the most likely place to be killed in the train, is where the driver sits, they might well be right, that it is more dangerous ... if your sat in the first car. There's an easy solution though ... now I ponder which media outlet wouldn't have the skills to figure out where they should sit then ...

Just because there are excuses (i.e. CP) for something doesn't mean I have to like it

Hilarious. What does this person do when they're driving a car?

Back