News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Poking around an old drawer in my Parents' house, I found a GO timetable for May 1, 1993. It has all lines on it but is just ONE big piece of paper, printed on both sides. It's a interesting slice in time as at this point there was daily train service to Barrie and Guelph, but not Oshawa. There was no East Gwillumbury Station and the Stoufville trains stopped at Danforth and Scarborough, but not Kennedy.

A Lakeshore West trip departed Hamilton at 6:41, hit Oakville Stn at 7:20 and then went express to Union, arriving at 7:43. The same trip still runs today, but is 9 minutes longer, departing Hamilton at 6:32 and leaving Oakville at 7:15.

The trip from Guelph to Union is only 85 minutes, including a stop in Acton. The comparable trip today takes 96 minutes, with no stop at Acton, but a new stop at Mt. Pleasant.

On weekends, the last trip of the night east from Burlington left at 12:14am, but only went to Long Branch (then I guess went back to the yard).

EDIT: Their actually was train service to Oshawa, one in and one out each day.

Last edited:
A Lakeshore West trip departed Hamilton at 6:41, hit Oakville Stn at 7:20 and then went express to Union, arriving at 7:43. The same trip still runs today, but is 9 minutes longer, departing Hamilton at 6:32 and leaving Oakville at 7:15.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe GO trains were only 8 coaches back then as opposed to the current '12 packs' that leave Hamilton today. Acceleration with an 8 pack with the old F59PH would be compatible to an 10 pack MP40 lead consist. Those extra two coaches on the 12 packs really kills the acceleration times. Plus I'm sure there's far more people taking the service now, which further degrades the acceleration times becuase of the added weight and increases station dwell times because more people are on or off loading. The remainder of the difference would be because of GO padding the schedules a little bit :D

The remainder of the difference would be because of GO padding the schedules a little bit :D
For the regular off-peak service, you should see that they've reduced the stay at Union from 6 minutes to 2 minutes - however the departure times from Danforth and Mimico are unchanged (not sure about Exhibition, as it's never had the same level of service, and they've moved the platform). So really few changes in the travel times (and even the hourly off-peak schedule itself) since 1967.

Poking around an old drawer in my Parents' house, I found a GO timetable for May 1, 1993. It has all lines on it but is just ONE big piece of paper, printed on both sides. It's a interesting slice in time as at this point there was daily train service to Barrie and Guelph, but not Oshawa. There was no East Gwillumbury Station and the Stoufville trains stopped at Danforth and Scarborough, but not Kennedy.

The trip from Guelph to Union is only 85 minutes, including a stop in Acton. The comparable trip today takes 96 minutes, with no stop at Acton, but a new stop at Mt. Pleasant.

On weekends, the last trip of the night east from Burlington left at 12:14am, but only went to Long Branch (then I guess went back to the yard).

EDIT: Their actually was train service to Oshawa, one in and one out each day.

I'm really interested in seeing this. Can you scan this or take a photo of it?

I'm really interested in seeing this. Can you scan this or take a photo of it?

I left it at their house. Assuming it wasn't thrown out, I will get it next time I go and scan it. There were also 1990's Metropasses in the same drawer, with the pass number written in pen on it.

EDIT: Just called and my mother told me she threw it out and the garbage was picked up today, but she says "Knowing your father there will be plenty more around." Considering he is a pack rat, I'm sure she is right (I also found a large can with King George VI coins he had saved). I will scan any old ones that I find and maybe some of those old Metropasses too.

My father is a wealth of knowledge of GO history, having used the service daily starting in the 70's, first living in Port Credit, then in Hamilton. He used to ride a GO bus route that ran along Lake Shore (highway 2 then) between Union and Clarkson. He says almost everyone smoked on the bus on the morning commute, including one well well dressed gentleman who smoked a joint each morning.

EDIT2: I also found several of the famous GO/TTC TwinPasses. Yes, there was a time when you could have one pass for TTC and GO. How far backwards we've actually gone in 30 years is stunning.

Last edited:
For the people griping about service. There will have to be a hiring blitz followed by a training program for 2 years. Maybe Vegeta could shine light on this but if they hired more engineers, that would solve a lot of problem. The equipment is there.

The new Weston Station is to go into service between mid July and Aug with a shot for a July opening. The new station itself will open in 2014 with a temporary one been use until then.

The full station is schedule late 2014 or early 2015.

The new south end parking lot will not open until late 2015.

One new morning trip will depart Milton GO Station at 7:13 a.m., making all stops to Union Station, arriving at 8:13 a.m.
One new afternoon trip will depart Union Station at 4:00 p.m., making all stops to Milton GO Station, arriving at 4:58.

Really? All stops? Even Bloor?

Really? All stops? Even Bloor?
There's no station at Bloor for the CP tracks. The station is on the CN tracks. As far as I know (certainly historically) the tracks diverge near Strachan, so there literally is no stop at Bloor. So yes, all stops.

Go is running a special Niagara train trip this Friday for the Tightrope Walk. Is there really that much interest in this?

The train will make the usual Niagara stops. It leaves Toronto at 3:30pm and then leaves Niagara Falls at 12:01am. I'm not sure I could handle a 2-hour train ride back to Toronto, though it would certainly be more reasonable for people in Oakville, Burlington or St. Catharines.

They certainly are adding a lot more Special Events service as they talked about.

Last edited:

Back