News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Yeah, to me this seems like a nice-to-have, but given most GO trips are under an hour, there just isn't the same need as there is on VIA.

Yeah, to me this seems like a nice-to-have, but given most GO trips are under an hour, there just isn't the same need as there is on VIA.

If you're battery is dead, you need it, no matter how far you're going. It is a nice to have and not necessary. I just really wanted to know why it had disappeared.

Someone above mentioned mini-tables. When did GO have those and what were they like? IIRC they banned them in the US after the tables seriously injured people in a commuter train crash.

All VIA's corridor cars have outlets at every seat. The only ones that don't are the HEP1 cars used in long-distance service, and even they have two at each end for the cleaners.

I have been in several HEP-1 cars and all have had outlets. They have them under the seats rather than in the walls.

All VIA's corridor cars have outlets at every seat. The only ones that don't are the HEP1 cars used in long-distance service, and even they have two at each end for the cleaners.

Going back to GO, the reason why most cars don't is exactly as as vegeta_skyline wrote. The nominal power draw of a BiLevel is about 45kW before you take into consideration the additional power draw of heating or A/C. A 12 car train at the height of the summer draws about 750kW of the ~800kW put out by an MP40, meaning that after losses there isn't much left for things like outlets.

To be honest, I'm a little surprised that GO hasn't looked at methods of reducing the power draw of the cars - LED lighting as a starter seems like a no-brainer to me.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I swear I rode a recently refurbished Bilevel with LED lighting over the summer. There was something definitely different about the lighting, but I didn't get a good look as the train was crowded.

The newest GO buses have power outlets at selected seats, however I have yet to encounter a bus with them switch on. I think having outlets on transit vehicles is very convenient. Perhaps GO could just have one car, like the accessible car, available with outlets?

According to the GO Transit Service Changes webpage, there were supposed to be 2 additional cars to the 6:52 Barrie train from Allendale station, starting yesterday. I was the only one anticipating the new cars as I stood at the end of the platform. Surprisingly, the train consisted of 10 cars only.
I called customer service and they promised to get back to me. Later yesterday, I noticed the announcement was pulled from that webpage, and this morning I got a call confirming that 2 additional cars will be added to the 5:05 Barrie train (Northbound) starting TODAY, and starting tomorrow, on the 6:52 southbound train. Hope to get a seat tomorrow.

According to the GO Transit Service Changes webpage, there were supposed to be 2 additional cars to the 6:52 Barrie train from Allendale station, starting yesterday. I was the only one anticipating the new cars as I stood at the end of the platform. Surprisingly, the train consisted of 10 cars only.
I called customer service and they promised to get back to me. Later yesterday, I noticed the announcement was pulled from that webpage, and this morning I got a call confirming that 2 additional cars will be added to the 5:05 Barrie train (Northbound) starting TODAY, and starting tomorrow, on the 6:52 southbound train. Hope to get a seat tomorrow.

Sounds like they didn't get the longer trainset up there in time for the morning run, so they're just going to fit it in for the afternoon run. Although I'm sure 98% of the people taking that morning run didn't even notice.

Good news on the longer trainset though.

The cost of reserve parking is increasing 14% on December 1. Going from $70/mth to $80

I'd like to see GO start charging for all parking, but reduce fares by a little bit at the same time. That way if you take the bus to the local station (which is what GO wants), the cost of your trip is less than if you drive to the station.

At the very least, a few people may start carpooling to the station.

Too Cheap

I was not complaining......just posting.

That said, the market determines that.....the lot I use had an initial surge when the reserved spots started.....then it levelled of...and now previously reserved spots have had their signs come down. That is at a station where there is a shortage of spots...i would imagine that the stations with all those new parking structures will have a hard(er) time generating parking revenue as rates rise.

That said, the market determines that.....the lot I use had an initial surge when the reserved spots started.....then it levelled of...and now previously reserved spots have had their signs come down. That is at a station where there is a shortage of spots...i would imagine that the stations with all those new parking structures will have a hard(er) time generating parking revenue as rates rise.

I think it's worth it at some stations, but my wife and I are giving ours up at Markham GO because it's such a hassle dealing with people squatting in our spot in the morning, idling their SUVs, having to kick them out, etc. GO do nothing about "spot squatters" and idlers who wait for the train to come instead of just dropping off their significant other. And even when you tell someone not to do it again, someone else will just try the same thing the next week. It will be quicker, cheaper and much less of a hassle to just park in the back. The only reason we did it in the first place was because it was only $60 at the time and two of us were using it, so it seemed like a decent deal.

I think it's worth it at some stations, but my wife and I are giving ours up at Markham GO because it's such a hassle dealing with people squatting in our spot in the morning, idling their SUVs, having to kick them out, etc. GO do nothing about "spot squatters" and idlers who wait for the train to come instead of just dropping off their significant other. And even when you tell someone not to do it again, someone else will just try the same thing the next week. It will be quicker, cheaper and much less of a hassle to just park in the back. The only reason we did it in the first place was because it was only $60 at the time and two of us were using it, so it seemed like a decent deal.

I just flash my lights or honk my horn and they move on.

I have a spot because if I take the train it is usually a late (2nd last or last) train in the morning and there just are no spots. If I was an earlier leaver or at a station with ample parking I would not bother.

I am not sure what the price "should" be but I do notice spots being given up. I am not even sure it is wise to have the same price at all lots. In downtown Brampton you can cross the street and get an unreserved, underground spot for $40 per month.....maybe the market is saying a $30 (going to $40) premium for being at the station is too much?

I was stating any parking under $100 is too cheap, as well any free parking at GO stations.

All you do with free parking is create gridlock else where than it where it was before.

All local transit to GO Stations need to be beef up to off set increase in cost of parking spaces as well reduce gridlock.

Parking structures take away from good urban development.

The way I see go stations is that they are a way for people to park in the suburbs where there is space for thousands of cars, and then get transported downtown. I consider it a nice alternative to thousands of parking spots downtown.

I was stating any parking under $100 is too cheap, as well any free parking at GO stations.

All you do with free parking is create gridlock else where than it where it was before.

All local transit to GO Stations need to be beef up to off set increase in cost of parking spaces as well reduce gridlock.

Parking structures take away from good urban development.

Of course, the irony of the stations getting the expensive parking structures is that they increase the availability of parking...reducing the shortage of parking and reducing the likelihood of increased parking revenue from reserved parking :(

Back