News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The same thing can/should be said about the KW extension though. Sure, if you look at the numbers who board at the new stations they appear disappointing....but that extension made possible the train that runs on the line that gets into Union just after 9 in the morning...that train is now running pretty well full and was not possible prior to the extension to KW.

I have to agree with this. I would like to see Brampton get at least one train per hour before these other extensions.

I'd rather see the Bolton service first, even two trains to start - it will serve the 25,000 in Bolton as well as 30,000 to 50,000 in Woodbridge and the far eastern section of Brampton. It will likely require some track work to accomodate GO on CP's track ...
Which makes it a billion dollar project.
Would it? I'd think day one would simply be one or two trains a day. Why couldn't this be as low-key as the Kitchener extension from Georgetown, which on day one, the only cost was the 1 trainset and the new berthing stations in Kitchener.

Why couldn't this simply be 2 berthing stations, a couple of trainsets, and 3-4 dirt-cheap platforms. Perhaps even one trainset, if there were willing to deadhead it ... it's not that far from Bolton to Union. 26.1 miles according the the old CPR timetable.

no way the 50 minutes saved is correct, GO currently takes 57 minutes from Milton.. thats suggesting it would only take the train 18 minutes to travel over 40km..
When CP used to operate the passenger service to Cambridge, it was 61 minutes for the morning run, and 65 minutes in the evening run, from Union to Galt using RDCs in the 1969 schedule, stopping only in West Toronto. The current GO service from Union to Kitchener is 120 minutes.

If they could match the 1969 schedule, they'd be 55 to 59 minutes faster. So a 50 minute saving is quite achievable, if you run an express.

The old schedule shows 25 minutes from Milton to Galt. So if 57 minutes to Milton, then that would be 82 minutes to Galt. Still a 38 minute saving if you stop at all stops.

Would it? I'd think day one would simply be one or two trains a day. Why couldn't this be as low-key as the Kitchener extension from Georgetown, which on day one, the only cost was the 1 trainset and the new berthing stations in Kitchener.

The instant you involve CPR it becomes a game of chance. They may let you do what you want (it's the reasonable thing) or they may demand you plow through an entirely new set of tracks for even a single train.

Assume its a $1B project going into it. Be pleasantly surprised when it isn't.

When CP used to operate the passenger service to Cambridge, it was 61 minutes for the morning run, and 65 minutes in the evening run, from Union to Galt using RDCs in the 1969 schedule, stopping only in West Toronto. The current GO service from Union to Kitchener is 120 minutes.

If they could match the 1969 schedule, they'd be 55 to 59 minutes faster. So a 50 minute saving is quite achievable, if you run an express.

The old schedule shows 25 minutes from Milton to Galt. So if 57 minutes to Milton, then that would be 82 minutes to Galt. Still a 38 minute saving if you stop at all stops.

Link up these old CN/CP schedules you look at nfitz. I'm interested.

Why couldn't this simply be 2 berthing stations, a couple of trainsets, and 3-4 dirt-cheap platforms. Perhaps even one trainset, if there were willing to deadhead it ... it's not that far from Bolton to Union. 26.1 miles according the the old CPR timetable.

The Kitchener extension was so cheap because it used existing stations, existing tracks (apart from the mini-yard at Kitchener). Some platforms needed to be extended, some Presto machines installed, and that's that. Acton took a while longer - and still the permanent new yard west of Kitchener hasn't yet started, nor have the planned stations at Breslau or Watson Parkway.

You'd need probably two parking lots - at Bolton and at Kleinberg. Woodbridge would be a tight fit - either at Kipling or at Highway 7 - for parking. So GO would have to purchase some property and pave some lots. And it'd need track connections to Union somewhere (ideally north of Weston). Still, it shouldn't be a $1 Billion project - it's not building a subway.

Electric charging now at some GO stations and coming to others.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/11/27/go_offers_electric_car_charging_at_train_station.html

I am too lazy to look but is the choice of stations related to those with parking structures?....continuing the rich (in terms of GO services/infrastructure) keep getting richer?

Not exactly. Lincolnville - in the middle of bloody nowhere - gets a charging station. But all the others - opening today or in the next round - have garages.

Lincolnville is an odd choice... its a very low use station in the first place so I have to wonder what the demand for it is. I wonder if there are a couple of specific commuters there with Volts or Leafs?

Link up these old CN/CP schedules you look at nfitz. I'm interested.
Would if I could. Hard to find on the net. I did find a 1969 schedule about 2 years ago ... and was searching in vain for it again ... when I realised it was still in my downloaded folder on my computer. I'll link them if I can. I found some CN ones too ... can't find them anywhere now.

I have a 1955 CN National Timetable (fascinating where you could go to within southern Ontario by train - many of those places you can't even get to by bus. Hamilton James St. Station had over 20 daily departures to such places as Chicago, Guelph, Barrie, Owen Sound, Simcoe, Buffalo and Toronto, of course) and a 1969-1970 CP timetable dating just before CP ended the Owen Sound-Orangeville-Brampton-Toronto and Toronto-Galt-London-Windsor RDC services.

Ask away.

Last edited:

Back