News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Amtrak and Via Rail Canada's "International" Chicago-Toronto...

There was a train to Chicago up until 2004.

CC and ETO: The train you are thinking of was Amtrak and Via Rail Canada's "International" that ran between Toronto and
Chicago by way of Sarnia and Port Huron through the St.Clair River tunnel that was discontinued primarily because of border
issues during 2004...

This train was a interesting partnership between Amtrak and VIA because of how both companies shared equipment to use
on this train operation...You would see both Amtrak and VIA equipment operating on this train and sometimes mixed together...

As a comparison Amtrak and VIA's "Maple Leaf" from Toronto to NYC strictly was Amtrak equipment operating through and
at Niagara Falls,ON the crews would change and it officially becomes a VIA train with a VIA train crew NFS-TOR...

See: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Limited

LI MIKE

Last edited:
I have a 1955 CN National Timetable (fascinating where you could go to within southern Ontario by train - many of those places you can't even get to by bus. Hamilton James St. Station had over 20 daily departures to such places as Chicago, Guelph, Barrie, Owen Sound, Simcoe, Buffalo and Toronto, of course) and a 1969-1970 CP timetable dating just before CP ended the Owen Sound-Orangeville-Brampton-Toronto and Toronto-Galt-London-Windsor RDC services.

Ask away.

Alrighty.

Is the Kitchener route CN or CP ?
Id like to see the Windsor Toronto route too!

Thanks

Would if I could. Hard to find on the net. I did find a 1969 schedule about 2 years ago ... and was searching in vain for it again ... when I realised it was still in my downloaded folder on my computer. I'll link them if I can. I found some CN ones too ... can't find them anywhere now.

Thanks!

CN had the Toronto-Kitchener route, of course. Six trains daily in each direction as far as Guelph, five through Kitchener, stopping at Parkdale (Queen Street), West Toronto (near Old Weston Road/Davenport). Some trains stopped at Weston and Malton. All trains stopped at Brampton and Georgetown. Some trains stopped at Limehouse, Acton and Rockwood, all trains stopped at Guelph. Of the five past Guelph, two trains stopped at Breslau, all trains stopped at Kitchener.

The sixth train went north from Guelph to Owen Sound via Fergus and Palmerston.

The other five trains continued to Stratford; from there two trains originated/terminated at Goderich, the other three to London via St. Marys.

The inbound commuter train, #10, originated in London at 03:55, stopped at St. Marys, Stratford (dep. at 4:52), New Hamburg, Kitchener (dep. at 5:50), Guelph (dep. 6:20), Acton (6:40), Georgetown (6:53), Brampton (7:06), Malton (7:16), Weston (7:32), West Toronto (7:39), Parkdale (7:50) and arrived at Union at 8:00.

The evening commuter, Train 11, left Union at 17:00. Did not stop at Malton. Arrived Brampton 17:27, Georgetown 17:57, Acton 18:07, Guelph 18:36. Did not stop at Breslau. Kitchener 18:56 and on to London, arriving 20:40.

CN had the Toronto-Kitchener route, of course. Six trains daily in each direction as far as Guelph, five through Kitchener, stopping at Parkdale (Queen Street), West Toronto (near Old Weston Road/Davenport). Some trains stopped at Weston and Malton. All trains stopped at Brampton and Georgetown. Some trains stopped at Limehouse, Acton and Rockwood, all trains stopped at Guelph. Of the five past Guelph, two trains stopped at Breslau, all trains stopped at Kitchener.

The sixth train went north from Guelph to Owen Sound via Fergus and Palmerston.

The other five trains continued to Stratford; from there two trains originated/terminated at Goderich, the other three to London via St. Marys.

The inbound commuter train, #10, originated in London at 03:55, stopped at St. Marys, Stratford (dep. at 4:52), New Hamburg, Kitchener (dep. at 5:50), Guelph (dep. 6:20), Acton (6:40), Georgetown (6:53), Brampton (7:06), Malton (7:16), Weston (7:32), West Toronto (7:39), Parkdale (7:50) and arrived at Union at 8:00.

The evening commuter, Train 11, left Union at 17:00. Did not stop at Malton. Arrived Brampton 17:27, Georgetown 17:57, Acton 18:07, Guelph 18:36. Did not stop at Breslau. Kitchener 18:56 and on to London, arriving 20:40.
This is awesome. I would have thought that the that london train would be a bit faster. CN covered way more ground though. Owen Sound and Goderich. I'm sure those places have no service any more. I have to say though, the GO Train is about the same time between Toronto and Georgetown as CN.

What about between Hamilton and Union or Hamilton and Other areas? And the east (oshawa) would be nice. Thanks!

Amtrak and Via Rail Canada's "International" Chicago-Toronto...Two...

CC and ETO: The train you are thinking of was Amtrak and Via Rail Canada's "International" that ran between Toronto and
Chicago by way of Sarnia and Port Huron through the St.Clair River tunnel that was discontinued primarily because of border
issues during 2004...

This train was a interesting partnership between Amtrak and VIA because of how both companies shared equipment to use
on this train operation...You would see both Amtrak and VIA equipment operating on this train and sometimes mixed together...

As a comparison Amtrak and VIA's "Maple Leaf" from Toronto to NYC strictly was Amtrak equipment operating through and
at Niagara Falls,ON the crews would change and it officially becomes a VIA train with a VIA train crew NFS-TOR...

See: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Limited

LI MIKE

Everyone: After checking the Wikipedia page I discovered that there is no mention why there was a ridership decrease
leading to the discontinuance of this train back in 2004: What I recall was happening was that Customs and Immigration
checks by both the US and Canada were tightened after 9/11 and the result was sometime major delays causing the
train to run quite late even when a longer time period was factored into the schedule causing the train to be less time
competitive with either driving or taking a bus - also affected to some extent was the "Maple Leaf" NYC-Toronto at
Niagara Falls in both directions...

One thing to remember is that when a train is being checked by Customs and Immigration that they have full control
over even the train crew and until they finish their work and give the OK to proceed that train will remain stopped no
matter what the schedule may say...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
The Kitchener extension was so cheap because it used existing stations, existing tracks (apart from the mini-yard at Kitchener). Some platforms needed to be extended, some Presto machines installed, and that's that. Acton took a while longer - and still the permanent new yard west of Kitchener hasn't yet started, nor have the planned stations at Breslau or Watson Parkway.

You'd need probably two parking lots - at Bolton and at Kleinberg. Woodbridge would be a tight fit - either at Kipling or at Highway 7 - for parking. So GO would have to purchase some property and pave some lots. And it'd need track connections to Union somewhere (ideally north of Weston). Still, it shouldn't be a $1 Billion project - it's not building a subway.

Woodbridge could be built as an "urban" station with a few, if any, parking spots if they build a station at the 407 and place the giant parking lot there. Although last I heard the Bolton plans were to build a wye onto the CP(?) E/W North of Steeles and head East to connect to the Barrie line tracks, rather than continue south and join the Georgetown South tracks in the Junction. Which is a shame IMHO as there is an opportunity to create a couple stations in the 416 that are poorly served by transit. The wye might present a problem with creating a station near highway 407.

Everyone: After checking the Wikipedia page I discovered that there is no mention why there was a ridership decrease
leading to the discontinuance of this train back in 2004: What I recall was happening was that Customs and Immigration
checks by both the US and Canada were tightened after 9/11 and the result was sometime major delays causing the
train to run quite late even when a longer time period was factored into the schedule causing the train to be less time
competitive with either driving or taking a bus - also affected to some extent was the "Maple Leaf" NYC-Toronto at
Niagara Falls in both directions...

One thing to remember is that when a train is being checked by Customs and Immigration that they have full control
over even the train crew and until they finish their work and give the OK to proceed that train will remain stopped no
matter what the schedule may say...

LI MIKE

I took that train a month before it was withdrawn (replaced by a separate Port Huron-Chicago train - the Blue Water, and a VIA Toronto-Kitchener-London-Sarnia train), but only for a day trip to Sarnia. From October through early May, the International usually had Superliner equipment:

The reason was that the border patrol was increasingly anal at Port Huron, holding the train up. As well, it didn't have a schedule that made it terribly convenient for Michigan travellers headed to/from Chicago, and MDOT was subsidizing the operation.

Last edited:
Orangeville

This editorial from the local Orangeville paper advocates for GO Train expansion to Orangeville:

The missing link in Metrolinx

Metrolinx, an agency of the Government of Ontario under the Metrolinx Act, 2006, was created to improve the coordination and integration of all modes of transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.

The organization’s mission is to champion, develop and implement an integrated transportation system for the region that enhances prosperity, sustainability and quality of life. Metrolinx launched The Big Move, a Regional Transportation Plan, in September 2008.

According to the agency’s website, its mission today is “To champion and deliver mobility solutions for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.â€

To this end, it boasts that it is “developing a world-class transportation system alongside the work of the Greenbelt, which protects more than 1.8 million acres of environmentally sensitive and agricultural land in the heart of the region, and the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, a plan that coordinates population and job growth.

“Crucial to Metrolinx’s success was the development of a Regional Transportation Plan for a seamless, integrated transportation network throughout this region, which is Canada’s largest and among North America’s most rapidly growing. The plan – named The Big Move – identified that the province’s transit and transportation problems are regional in nature and cross municipal boundaries. The solution requires the coordination and integration of transit and transportation systems in order to allow growth to happen and help people and businesses move more easily throughout the region.â€

Said to cost about $50 billion and to be paid for by an as-yet-unapproved funding model, the plan includes a combination of new subways, light rail transit lines and busways in just about everywhere in the region save for Caledon.

In the circumstances, we think this is the perfect time for the Town of Orangeville, as owner of the Orangeville-Brampton Railway, to propose a small experiment designed to fill the missing link.

As matters stand, everything in the Big Move is predicated on mass transit, the model being exemplified by the provision of rail service to the Barrie area, which involved spending $25 million to improve the former CN trackage between Bradford and Barrie so it could deal with GO’s double-decker trains.

As a result, the two Barrie stations (Barrie South and Allendale) have apparently been attracting about 500 riders each weekday morning on a line that carries about 7,500 daily.

Impressive as that sounds, it leaves us wondering whether the loads out of Barrie couldn’t have been handled by three four-unit “Budd cars†– the self-propelled diesel coaches that used to run between Owen Sound and Toronto.

Today, those coaches are about 60 years old but are being refurbished and sold for about $250,000 each.

We would love to hear Metrolinx’s response to a call from Orangeville Council (likely supported by Dufferin and Caledon) for a test involving the purchase of four Budd cars that would provide weekday service between Orangeville and Streetsville with stops at Alton, Inglewood and Brampton and allow passengers to reach Toronto via transfers to GO’s Kitchener and Milton lines.

No one knows how popular such a service would be, but everyone knows that even if it attracted a couple of hundred riders daily that would take some pressure off Highways 410 and 401 at a cost that would be a tiny fraction of the projects Metrolinx is planning.

It would also establish the viability (or otherwise) of the $150-million commitment by the federal and provincial governments to upgrade the CP Rail line to Peterborough and permit a resumption of commuter service in about 2016 on trackage now in such bad shape that freight trains are limited to 10 miles an hour.

I would only ever entertain the idea of a branch of the Kitchener Line going north from the Brampton diamond to Mayfield Road or King Street near Brampton Airport, but even then that might be difficult. Bus service down Highway 10 will be much faster than RDCs on the slow and winding OBRY (it does make a great excursion trip!), the only major congestion near Downtown Brampton.

The reason was that the border patrol was increasingly anal at Port Huron, holding the train up. As well, it didn't have a schedule that made it terribly convenient for Michigan travellers headed to/from Chicago, and MDOT was subsidizing the operation.

Near the end passengers going to the US had to disembark in Sarnia, get on a bus, go across the border and through customs via the Bluewater Bridge and then get back on the train in Port Huron that had gone through the tunnel empty. Meanwhile, passengers coming to Canada got to stay on the train, go through Customs upon arrival in Sarnia and carry on after allowing the Canadian passengers on board.

I would only ever entertain the idea of a branch of the Kitchener Line going north from the Brampton diamond to Mayfield Road or King Street near Brampton Airport, but even then that might be difficult. Bus service down Highway 10 will be much faster than RDCs on the slow and winding OBRY (it does make a great excursion trip!), the only major congestion near Downtown Brampton.

I wonder if it would be possible to build a rail branch up to airport then build a light rail corridor of sorts along Highway 10. The line could run with DMUs like this. Most of the route wouldn't even have to be double tracked, given frequencies probably wouldn't exceed 2-3 trains an hour.

I wonder if it would be possible to build a rail branch up to airport then build a light rail corridor of sorts along Highway 10. The line could run with DMUs like this. Most of the route wouldn't even have to be double tracked, given frequencies probably wouldn't exceed 2-3 trains an hour.

It is not clear to me what you are asking.....the KW GO corridor is the one that goes closest to the airport as is (and why the UPX is using this corridor before splitting off...and will be using rolling stock very similar to what you post)........if you are going to run these up Highway 10 to orangeville that is essentially what the OBRY does (just west of 10 in a meandering fashion) and Shontron has already exposed some weaknesses in that idea.

Back