News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Of all the times to threaten a strike...

pretty smart play by the union...though. With the legislature not sitting, there is no way to pass back-to-work-legislation.....so if there is a strike tomorrow at midnight, the only way to get these workers back is for ML (under advisement, I would assume, of MoT) to sweeten the pot and settle.

Even if the strike continues to election day it won't harm the Liberal party in Toronto but it would be on the minds of some 905 voters as they headed to the voting station.

What are the logistics of a strike "at midnight". There are a few trips that begin after midnight, and many that will be in progress. Will they be cancelled? This strike is kind of under the radar and I can see some people being stranded if a strike really begins "at midnight".

I presume they would finish any trips that begin before Midnight, but would refuse to start any new ones. I.E. if the bus leaves at 12:05 it would be cancelled but if the bus left at 11:55 they would finish their trip, return to the garage, and then go on strike.

Approaching the 11th hour. Here's hoping the union knows what they are doing, cause they are about to make themselves an easy target for Hudak's 100,000 public sector job cuts...

Still, I read that the starting salary for drivers is about $25 per hour, which is pretty low. I'll have to check the CUTA Fact Book, but most drivers start at $27 at least if I recall.

And what do you know, this is a little bit of deja-vu.
Everyone can now relax, the strike has been averted at the last second, yet again.

I have a bit of a question I would love to have answered.

Why is it possible to offer bi-directional service on the Barrie Line during the summer, and not the rest of the year? What prevents them from offering this service year round?

Also, i've noticed that in the past, some lines like the Stouffville line had a reverse-direction train.

"This was followed, on April 30, 2004, with a reverse-commute train running northbound from Union to Markham in the morning and southbound from Markham to Union in the afternoon. This was accomplished at minimal costs, using a run that had been deadheaded before."

I've noticed a bunch of deadheaded trains on the Richmond Hill line.

If this is so easy to do, and everyone is asking for bi-directional train service on all transit lines, why isn't this tactic done to its full potential now, before we get more tracks laid down?

It would certainly generate interest in 2 way all day service.

So if its been done in the past, and is done seasonally on the Barrie line, why can't it be done all year round?

Btw, what happened to that reverse-direction train on the Stouffville line? It only was added a decade ago...and it no longer exists.

Because 30 minute bus service is better than bi or even tri hourly train service.

Stouffville ran the counter peak train when it didn't have it's own yard and had to deadhead trains to stouffville, they simply ran one of those trains as a revenue service.

Because 30 minute bus service is better than bi or even tri hourly train service.

Stouffville ran the counter peak train when it didn't have it's own yard and had to deadhead trains to stouffville, they simply ran one of those trains as a revenue service.

Then if bus service is better why even bother doing hourly 2 way all day trains? Lets just put more buses on the road and just turn the entire GO network into buses.

Clearly there is advantages to trains, even if its not a technical advantage but a cosmetic, preferential one.

People would rather take a train than a bus. Its simply a social/comfort thing.

GO is not just creating a service for people who don't have a car. Its trying to get people out of their cars and using mass transit.

People with cars are less willing to take the bus and get stuck in traffic just the same rather than taking a train.

Last edited:
This sounds like a sensible explanation, but based on the midday Bramalea trains GO used to run (and plan to run after GTS), at 1.5 to 2.5 hour "frequency", it looks like they don't share this reasoning.

This sounds like a sensible explanation, but based on the midday Bramalea trains GO used to run (and plan to run after GTS), at 1.5 to 2.5 hour "frequency", it looks like they don't share this reasoning.

All they have confirmed about the post-GTS service is the number of trains....not the dispersion throughout the day.....unless you have seen something more detailed than I have.

All they have confirmed about the post-GTS service is the number of trains....not the dispersion throughout the day.....unless you have seen something more detailed than I have.
All I have is this from the Kitchener EA (see last page), which shows 23 trips in total, including the same three midday round trips from before GTS. Of course this is the Kitchener EA and not the GTS one, but one can hope that the study teams didn't come up with schedules in isolation, especially with the studies being done in parallel.
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/docs/ea/georgetown-kitchener/VolumeII_Appendices/Appendixb.pdf

Does anyone have a list or can create a list of mid-day or reverse direction trains ever operated on GO?

For now all I see is:

Stouffville: one reverse direction train in early 2000's from Union to Markham.
Milton: Midday train service back and forth between Union and Erindale.
Kitchener Line: Midday train service back and forth between Bramalea.
Richmond Hill line: ??? (I live near this line and notice a lot of deadheads. Anyone know now many deadheads?
Barrie Line: Summer Midday service.

Anything I am missing?

Its so frustrating knowing that at a time in the past things were better than they are now in terms of transit service. And its frustrating knowing that what once occurred is most likely possible again, without extra trackage, and yet we sit around and keep hearing that no bi-directional service can happen without double tracking. Clearly it can, and did.

Does anyone have a list or can create a list of mid-day or reverse direction trains ever operated on GO?

For now all I see is:

Stouffville: one reverse direction train in early 2000's from Union to Markham.
Milton: Midday train service back and forth between Union and Erindale.
Kitchener Line: Midday train service back and forth between Bramalea.
Richmond Hill line: ??? (I live near this line and notice a lot of deadheads. Anyone know now many deadheads?
Barrie Line: Summer Midday service.

Anything I am missing?

Its so frustrating knowing that at a time in the past things were better than they are now in terms of transit service. And its frustrating knowing that what once occurred is most likely possible again, without extra trackage, and yet we sit around and keep hearing that no bi-directional service can happen without double tracking. Clearly it can, and did.

Train time is anytime for the RR and they have to deal with a number of issues to do it.

Having a train go dead on the line because the crew ran out of time can start having a snowball effect on other trains behind it as well going the opposite direction that can cause more crews to die on the line.

Having a GO train on line will add more problems to the point it can get stuck also.

It take time to get a fresh crew to a train that die on line that can take hours to do depending where the train stop.

If a train break down, again it can take hours to get a another engine out to deal with the dead train. Was on a train a few years ago and it took 6 hours to get a replacement engine and we couldn't use the washrooms as there was no power.

I have call since the EA for the Georgetown expansion in the early 2000's that all rail corridors have 4 tracks to allow GO to have 2 and the RR having 2. The EA was approved to upgrade the line from 1 track to 2 tracks, but became 3 tracks as CN decided to add that 3rd track as they saw they needed it. The line is to be 4 tracks outside the pinch point that will remain 3 or become 3 and is supposed to be done by 2020 under current plans.

The lakeshore EA call for the 2 tracks between Port Credit and Oakville to be 3 and I said we will be back here in 15/20 years adding the 4th track when it should be done now.

There are only 2 lines outside the Lakeshore Line that GO could run hourly service all day today, but lack crews to do so.

GO has to pay a running fee to use CN and CP tracks and it not cheap to do so until there are 4 tracks in their corridor.

The Weston Sub from Bramalea to Union Station is now own by Metrolinx who are now rebuilding the corridor from the ground up to have 8 tacks to Dundas, 6 tracks to West Toronto Diamond, 4 to the Airport for future needs. I track will not be built at at this time until the demand is needed for it in all section with provision for it.

The Milton line was to be 3 track by 2011, but only a few areas have 3 tracks and haven't been used in years. Don't know the real story why the 3rd track was not completed by 2011. Current plans calls for the line to 4 tracks by 21/23 including a new fly under at Lambton.

Manpower is the biggest area at this time to put more service on the lines than track space with Milton having the most track space at this time considering the amount of riders wanting to use that line for the past decade.

RH line doesn't have the storage area like the other lines until late this year, but it still has to deal with CN as this is CN main route to western Canada and do send a midday train down the valley. As for deadhead moves, how many trains use the line and that your answers. The Georgetown has one deadhead move with equipment being move for service at about 5am. There is another a 9:30 to Bramalea for the 7th train south. There are only 6 at pm going north.

A bigger issue for all day service on most lines is the size of the trains. Lakeshore only needs 5 cars for hourly off peak before moving to 30 minutes. The other lines will only need 2/3 cars once hourly service, but 10 car will be use until DMU's are allow to run on these lines.

What took place back in the 90's for service is a totally different animal today. CP was looking at selling their line at one time in Eastern Canada and why it was rename with the possibility of UP buy up the system. If you think CP is bad to work with, UP is even worse.

Sit back and see who comes to power on the 12 as it will dedicate what while happen to transit as a whole. Transit lives or dies on June 12 with the PC killing it like they did in the 90's.

Last edited:
Just a random question: does anyone know why the "newer" platform at Malton GO Station is never used? There's a "Platform Closed" sign on the door leading up from the tunnel beneath the tracks.

Back