News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Alright... boo hoo. If your complaint is the cut in service from every 30 minutes to every 60 minutes, that's fair. But that tweet is some mix of "the government shouldn't be spending so much money on this" and "the government should be spending more money on this".
You are either reading too much into my reason for sharing the tweet or too much into the reason behind the tweet itself (or both) but:

A) I have no "complaint"....I simply saw a tweet about a new GO service offering so thought "that might be of interest to the people who follow the, you know, "GO Transit service" thread on UT"....sorry if that makes me a bad person;
B) I read no editorial comment or motive in the person tweeting...seemed to be someone that was actually using the service so took some pics...pics showing no one else (at that time) using the service and pics, yes, wondering why the station hours have not been amended to match service hours....i see no mention of "spend" or "don't spend" in the tweet at all.

Last edited:
Same at Malton on Kitchener line. GO Transit SOP, not any denigration of Stouffville.
best example (IMO) is actually Weston......because of UP it has the highest level of off peak service in the network....but the station is closed a lot.

First Train to Pearson 05:44
Last train to Pearson 01:14
First Train to Union 05:38
Last Train to Union 01:08

Service Counter Hours
Mon to Fri
05:30 - 10:30
15:30 - 19:30
Access to station platforms is open however, station building will be closed outside listed hours.

I really don't see any point in keeping Go Train stations staffed for so much of the day. You can buy tickets from an automated machine, and soon you'll be able to refill Presto cards from one too. Unless there are going to be a lot of people using the station throughout the day who may be unfamiliar with Go Transit -- so basically just Union and Exhibition -- there's no reason to be staffing them outside of peak hours (and no reason to staff them in the afternoon peak for that matter).

I really don't see any point in keeping Go Train stations staffed for so much of the day. You can buy tickets from an automated machine, and soon you'll be able to refill Presto cards from one too. Unless there are going to be a lot of people using the station throughout the day who may be unfamiliar with Go Transit -- so basically just Union and Exhibition -- there's no reason to be staffing them outside of peak hours (and no reason to staff them in the afternoon peak for that matter).
There is a difference between not staffing them and not opening them........you can open the building to allow people shelter from weather and use of facilities like washrooms and vending machines......but close the ticket counters.

I must say, however, it is a very stark comparison between what happens at some stations and what happens at others.....compare that Weston schedule I showed above to, say, LongBranch where the ticket counter (and building) are open from 5:30 in the morning to 11:00 at night M-F and from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.....you will find similar hours (not identical but very similar) all along the LSW line (where ticket vending machines also exist)......... Surely some consistency in approach (not saying hours have to be identical) in terms of relating building hours to service hours should be sought?

I noted something about a similar thing a few weekends ago.
Bramalea station still gets very regular bus service on the weekend, but the station building is locked all weekend.
I came in on a bus from Union, and had a good 20 minute wait to get a connecting local bus, but with the building locked I couldn't use the washroom.

I must say, however, it is a very stark comparison between what happens at some stations and what happens at others.....compare that Weston schedule I showed above to, say, LongBranch where the ticket counter (and building) are open from 5:30 in the morning to 11:00 at night M-F and from 7:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.....you will find similar hours (not identical but very similar) all along the LSW line (where ticket vending machines also exist)......... Surely some consistency in approach (not saying hours have to be identical) in terms of relating building hours to service hours should be sought?

I'd be all for cutting back station hours there too. But regardless, the Lakeshore line has more than twice as much service as Stouffville or Kitchener, and has that level of service 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'd be all for cutting back station hours there too. But regardless, the Lakeshore line has more than twice as much service as Stouffville or Kitchener, and has that level of service 18 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Whether they cut back on LSW or build up somewhere else...there needs to be some level of consistency on station hours and some logic applied.

Like I said above, no station has more off-peak service than Weston....none on any line.

I'm hoping his policy wonks are doing so actual research and not just reciting the "broken promise" theme from habit. He certainly could be asking substantive questions - why isn't this happening faster?

A good potential PB quote would be

In spite of past promises, the effort being made this year by Metrolinx on the Bowmanville, Niagara, and Kitchener GO improvements combined is less than 1% of Metrolinx's 2017 capital budget.

- Paul

In spite of past promises, the effort being made this year by Metrolinx on the Bowmanville, Niagara, and Kitchener GO improvements combined is less than 1% of Metrolinx's 2017 capital budget.

- Paul

The other question is whether the amount cited in the June 2017 capital report for the Kitchener Extension includes the Bypass cost.

The other question is whether the amount cited in the June 2017 capital report for the Kitchener Extension includes the Bypass cost.

Kitchener had 2 numbers. $1.5B for RER and something like $2.5B for the extension; if you want both you add them together.

$2.5B is a very high price for an extension that doesn't require much grade separation so I suspect it includes the CN only bypass. If it doesn't, then the $2.5B includes some of the HSR type upgrades in it.

Last edited:

Back