News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Last edited:
From the Metrolinx presentation last night on the Union Station Corridor widening.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/20170628_USRC_EE_PublicMeeting1_PRESENTATION_EN.pdf

Those new bridge enlargements are BRUTAL!

Lower Jarvis. An extra 41 metres!
Lower Sherbourne. An extra 18 metres
Parliament. An extra 44 metres
Cherry. An extra 60 metres

Slide 11 explicitly says that the current underpass is 30.7m, with the extension to add another 11m, approximately. Last I checked, that's 41 metres total.

The only number that you have correct is Lower Sherbourne.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Slide 11 explicitly says that the current underpass is 30.7m, with the extension to add another 11m, approximately. Last I checked, that's 41 metres total.

The only number that you have correct is Lower Sherbourne.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Oops! FIGURES CORRECTED above.

Last edited:
While Uxbridge is a cross boundary issue, shouldn't YRT be stepping up and providing local Stouffville-Unionville service instead of leaving it to the Province?

I think that GO is the best provider for the service, because it is a rail replacement bus service and GO is the rail provider. That way it shows up just like a train in the GO schedules, follows the same fare system as if it were a train, and GO has full control over converting trips back and forth between trains and buses while making new schedules.

So this has been annoying me a bit, well more like every time I need to look at the GO system map; is GO ever going to redesign their horrible and detail lacking system map? Rail lines I'm not too concerned about as they are quite straight forward but the lack of details in the bus routes (ie. route numbers) can be quite infuriating at times when I'm trying to figure out which route is closest and might be the most direct to the destination. Lack of basic major geographical points makes it difficult to gauge a location without having too use the system map in conjunction with google maps. Had to get this off my chest.

So this has been annoying me a bit, well more like every time I need to look at the GO system map; is GO ever going to redesign their horrible and detail lacking system map? Rail lines I'm not too concerned about as they are quite straight forward but the lack of details in the bus routes (ie. route numbers) can be quite infuriating at times when I'm trying to figure out which route is closest and might be the most direct to the destination. Lack of basic major geographical points makes it difficult to gauge a location without having too use the system map in conjunction with google maps. Had to get this off my chest.
It seems to me that they have put more resources into Triplinx to try and set that up as the customer interface rather than investing in more detailed maps.

I get that not everyone has a smartphone....but most do and I think they are betting that it is easier for most to put their starting point, their desination and time of travel into a phone and let the system tell them the most direct route (and, typically, a couple of alternatives) for them.

It seems to me that they have put more resources into Triplinx to try and set that up as the customer interface rather than investing in more detailed maps.

I get that not everyone has a smartphone....but most do and I think they are betting that it is easier for most to put their starting point, their desination and time of travel into a phone and let the system tell them the most direct route (and, typically, a couple of alternatives) for them.

That's true, but while I agree with not posting maps at every single possible physical location, I think they should still produce one for their website and it should be a quality map. I agree that Triplinx or Google Transit is likely more useful to most people for most purposes, but I think a complete system map is important for people to understand, comprehensively, what services GO offers.

That's true, but while I agree with not posting maps at every single possible physical location, I think they should still produce one for their website and it should be a quality map. I agree that Triplinx or Google Transit is likely more useful to most people for most purposes, but I think a complete system map is important for people to understand, comprehensively, what services GO offers.
I am not advocating one way or the other....just observing that they seem to be going whole hog on the digital side....likely betting that that is how people in the (near) future will find their destination.

I am not advocating one way or the other....just observing that they seem to be going whole hog on the digital side....likely betting that that is how people in the (near) future will find their destination.

GRT in Waterloo region recently updated their website design, including updated trip planner. They didn't include pdf schedules on the new design. This lasted only a few days before they gave in and made the pdf versions available again.

There's always going to be a demand for less complex solutions, regardless of how flashy technology can make things.

GO really suffers from this problem of having unrealistic schedules where delays happen daily and they don't change the schedule for months. It's gotten better due to the service guarantee giving them an incentive, buy they still do it. For months after the UPX opened, some of the Barrie train arrivals and departures experienced several minutes of delays every single day at the same time because they didn't bother to consider the existence of both of them when scheduling either one. It's still a semi-regular occurrence.

My local southbound GO bus at Aurora is reliably late most of the time since the scheduled time to come down from Newmarket is really unrealistic, especially given recent construction.

Lots of people raise this issue on twitter, and it persists for months or years.

Back