News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

And a second app for quick bike dock status.
For finding free bikes, I use SpotCycle.

BTW, you can use TransitApp to begin using Toronto Bike Share immediately after purchasing your annual membership, even before your card arrives in the mail. Just remember it's a simple 3-number keypad, the bike unlock codes consists of only 1's, 2's and 3's. Confused me at first. Don't even need to touch the kiosks, just copy the code from TransitApp onto the individual bike dock's 1/2/3 keys (every wheel dock has a keypad).

Also, 30-min (or less) free rentals can be done as many times a day you want, with minimum 2 minutes between rentals, so bike docks are your stopover stations too.

Okay, I am veering off topic.
Back on topic: Yes, all urban GO stations need bike share for BOTH your first and last mile GO train commutes. Not just first mile. That's something only Bloor/Danforth/Exhibition/Hamilton(!) GO users have the luxury of. And cycle track infrastructure needs to eventually fully reach the transit-optimized GO stations.

Last edited:
Is there an App that shows when GoTrains are running, including real time gps tracking of trains?

Missed that part of your post. You have several options:
  • If you have an iPhone, you can use the "GOToronto" app, it shows station departure times exactly like the TVs at the stations do including delays - this is what I always use, by far the easiest
  • gotracker.ca - go's official system, on mobile you can get station departures, the map with train positions is really only usable on the desktop
  • Transee as smallspy posted just above
  • The Transit app, same as you'd use for Bikeshare, shows GO departures...I believe the train departure times are live ones based off GPS but I'm not 100% sure, should be easy to check it against the schedule to see if it's identical or GPS-based

The Transit app, same as you'd use for Bikeshare, shows GO departures...I believe the train departure times are live ones based off GPS but I'm not 100% sure, should be easy to check it against the schedule to see if it's identical or GPS-based
Transit App finally gained real time data for GO Transit trains. But it's not consistent on all trains -- not all get the 'radio' icon.

Unless there's an option that I haven't found yet, it's not real-time. For instance, it's showing a train on the Barrie line right now, and there aren't any on the line today.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Good point. Wasn't completely sure if this site is real time or not. Not sure why it's showing a train on he Barrie Line.

Thanks everyone. I've just now signed up for Bike Share with my Presto Card and have installed Transit App on my phone (Blackberry Priv - I love my keyboard!).

I'll keep you all posted on my first trip to Port Credit without the car.

...guys, I really hope this isn't the first experience.

Lakeshore West Train‏@GOtransitLW 1h1 hour ago
The Oakville GO 07:35 - Union Station 08:15 #GOtrain is delayed 20 minutes from Union because of a defective switch.

0 replies1 retweet0 likes

Ha! Not today train gremlins. I drove in as I had a 7:30am call overseas. But maybe I should be aiming for the earlier train from Union, just in case.

I wouldn't mind regular 10 min delays of the returning train from Port Credit, as there's little chance I'd make the 5:41 pm train if I leave my office at 5:3opm sharp.

The train would be a useful option in the winter where the slightest snow causes gridlock, but only if the train is operating without massive delays or cancellations.

Alight, I'm going to give the GO a shot tomorrow. How do I know what platform to go to? Union to Port Credit?

There are large TVs at Union and at Port Credit that show platforms. As PinkLucy said, the GOToronto app is great if you have an iPhone. Or, on any mobile device you can open your web browser and go to gotracker.ca - both GOToronto and gotracker.ca will show you not only platforms, but updated departure times accounting for any delays.

Back