News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^ How fast was it travelling when it went onto that siding in Rexdale? Were they able to slow the train down at least?

It was not a full-speed movement.

The GO train had stopped at a red signal (triggered by the open switch) and (I was told) was proceeding on a verbal authority (CROR Rule 564) which normally implies Reduced or Restricting speed. They were however going fast enough to reportedly damage the switch, and for some of the train to enter the service track before completely stopping, but nowhere near full speed.

The thing only came to light publicly because on reporting the incident, the crew was removed from service. That left no one to move the train, and the line was blocked. The incident made the news but I don't believe there were any injuries reported.

The whole point of the rule is to not creep faster than would allow an obstacle to be spotted and to ensure a safe stop can be made in time. Rule 564 states that at Restricted Speed the crew is to be watching for open switches. Somehow the switch wasn't spotted. I don't know if it was found to be the crew's fault, or if there was some other factor(s) involved.

- Paul

^ Wasn't there a CP strike in the Harper era and GO continued service on Milton and to/from Hamilton? Can't remember so I could be wrong.

^ Wasn't there a CP strike in the Harper era and GO continued service on Milton and to/from Hamilton? Can't remember so I could be wrong.

This time signal maintainers are amongst the workers threatening to walk off the job. If it was just the running trades, then GO (and the RTM, VIA and WCE) would continue to operate as their trains are all staffed by non-CP employees.

Also, during the Harper era Milton trains were still staffed by CP employees, so they definitely would have stopped running. I seem to also rememember that they cut back the Hamilton trains to Aldershot as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With West Harbour now extant, the option arises:

What if Hamilton downtown trains were diverted to West Harbour GO station instead?
Both tracks are pretty much ready to go, and the signals are live.

Two trains could even layover there overnight, and if you wanted the full 4-train morning starter, I am sure CN could arrange temporary room for two more in their railyard. Though CN employees would have to move them.

Good opportunity to really "open" the underutilized West Harbour GO, too.

Also, during the Harper era Milton trains were still staffed by CP employees, so they definitely would have stopped running. I seem to also rememember that they cut back the Hamilton trains to Aldershot as well.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I've had it pointed out to me that the 2012 strike that I was thinking of had agreements made with CP, the union and GO so as to keep the GO trains running. See: http://business.financialpost.com/n...eep-commuter-lines-running-in-event-of-strike

There have been other strikes that predate that one where GO trains did stop running on the CP lines, but evidently there remains the possibility that some sort of agreement could be made to keep everyone moving whilst they strike. I don't know if the negotiations between the two sides are close enough to completion or are too far apart to warrant it in this case, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

TORONTO: April 19, 2018 –Canadian Pacific Rail labour unions are in a legal strike position as of 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, April 21. If workers do go on strike it may have some impact on GO train services.

CP owns and maintains the Milton rail corridor and a section of the line that intersects with our Barrie line. If there is a labour disruption, there will be limited CP management staff available to address any signal or switch issues. This could mean longer delays for customers on our Milton and Barrie lines if there is an issue on CP-owned portions of the corridors.

CP also owns a section of corridor leading into Hamilton GO Centre. Train service to and from this station would not be provided due to CP’s available management resources. Regular GO bus service will continue and extra route 18 buses will run between Hamilton GO Centre and Aldershot GO Station to connect to regular Lakeshore West train service.

While Metrolinx is hopeful that an agreement can be reached, we are doing everything we can to ensure customers can continue to travel safely. Safety continues to be Metrolinx’s top priority and customers can be assured that GO Transit remains the safest way to travel.

In the event of a CP Rail labour dispute:

·GO Train service will not be available from Hamilton GO Centre

·Special GO buses will run between Hamilton GO Centre and Aldershot GO Station to connect customers to Lakeshore West train service -- regular GO bus service will continue

·West Harbour GO Station trips will continue as usual

·Milton GO train passengers could experience longer than normal delays in the event of signal problems

·Barrie GO train customers could also experience longer than normal delays in the event of the signal problems south of Downsview Park GO Station

·Regular GO Train service will continue on the Kitchener, Richmond Hill, Stouffville, and Lakeshore East lines

Please check the GO website for updates and sign-up for On The GO alerts to keep in the know.

I don't know the area's rail situation all that well so there is probably a really easy answer to this but why would they not just route all Hamilton trains to West Harbour?

I don't know the area's rail situation all that well so there is probably a really easy answer to this but why would they not just route all Hamilton trains to West Harbour?

They probably could, in a pinch. The issue would then become whether CN would be able/willing to deal with those extra trains. Considering that they make no mention of rerouting them, I suspect that the answer to that question is "No, they aren't willing."

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

In closed session at the upcoming Metrolinx Board meeting, there is an agenda item for "freight operators". Because it's in closed session there's no report (and not clear if it's just a discussion or the agenda item has a report.) Cross-posted this in the Bypass thread.

CP also owns a section of corridor leading into Hamilton GO Centre. Train service to and from this station would not be provided due to CP’s available management resources. Regular GO bus service will continue and extra route 18 buses will run between Hamilton GO Centre and Aldershot GO Station to connect to regular Lakeshore West train service.

...snip...

·GO Train service will not be available from Hamilton GO Centre
I am currently on the last GO train to Hamilton before the strike.

This is the first time this year I don't see a new-cab on a Lakeshore West train this year:

Clearly, they are sacrificing one of the older GO trainsets to become stuck in Hamilton. You know, the old cab, many closed-off bathrooms (I hunted 3 coaches when I had to go), and lots of older coaches. As I watch the oldcab on a 6pm Frdiay express train to Hamilton. 2018 Lakeshore West with an oldcab.

E275903C-B185-419C-9BBE-4EC0FFBEB031.jpeg

Attachments

• E275903C-B185-419C-9BBE-4EC0FFBEB031.jpeg
    E275903C-B185-419C-9BBE-4EC0FFBEB031.jpeg
    137.2 KB · Views: 345
I would have thought GO Transit would have sent the four trainsets normally stored in Hamilton to Willowbrook - so they could run from Aldershot, at least. That would be up to four express trains in each direction off the Lakeshore West Corridor.

They probably don't need all trainsets.
Probably cheaper to utilize other underutilized trainsets and avoid paying CP extra fees (and risks that deadhead attempts get stuck) for backing out 4 trains Friday night as CP is already shutting down as we speak...

Theory: I suspect they currently have a few extra trainsets in stock. There was that rumored urban-section 15-min Lakeshore service that was supposed to begin this year, but I'm guessing is now delayed to probably ~2019+ instead of this year. So currently in a (very) small surplus trainset status at the moment. Due to CN still does dispatching on Lakeshore lines, at least till the Oakville facility is finished, and CN bottlenecked by the CN grain delays and don't want any personnel/schedule/capacity changes until things stabilize.

Last edited:

Back