News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It turns out that this change was extremely justified, the car was almost completely full arriving at Union (all but a couple seats filled). I walked the length of the train at Union, and the rest of the cars seemed to be just as full if not more, and the platform was absolutely crammed. That's well over a thousand passengers on a single train, an absolutely phenomenal turnout for a limited weekend GO service!

I found something similar last Sunday. Took southbound from New Market Station at about 4:30pm. Train wasn't packed but the upper level of my car was around half full by Union; I thought it would be empty.

I suspect hourly weekday service (is that next year or 2017?) will do relatively well financially; 25% loads seems to be enough to pay the incremental operating bills.

I suspect hourly weekday service (is that next year or 2017?) will do relatively well financially; 25% loads seems to be enough to pay the incremental operating bills.
The announcement from April was full weekday service for the Barrie in fiscal 2017-18 (somewhere between April 2017 and March 2018 - but my money would be on September 2017.

However in fiscal 2016-17 the Barrie line is getting full weekend service (12 trains per direction per day) - along with full weekend service for the Kitchener line (14 trains per direction per day) and additional 3 trains per direction for off-peak weekday service. (there's still 2 more off-peak trains per direction to be added this fiscal year for Kitchener ... I'd guess in January).

guessing the first day of partial 2 way service on the KW line did not go perfectly to plan......my GO text alert has a lot of delay notifications and it is not noon yet.....ah, well, I am sure it will get better.

If it was standing room and they had to stay on that for 3 hours, we'd probably be witnessing at least one emergency window opened on a life-and-death basis...

There's been a few occasions that I know of where people have pulled the emergency cord to open the doors and have jumped out, so basically it's already happened.

There's been a few occasions that I know of where people have pulled the emergency cord to open the doors and have jumped out, so basically it's already happened.
I'm not surprised. With 2,000 or so people on a packed train, there must be one or two with severe claustrophobia; the trains over the weekend on the Lakeshore line were so utterly packed, I can see someone panicking if they had a pre-existing condition.

Is there no extra service for Hamilton's Supercrawl this year? For the past few years there has been information regarding this on the GO Transit homepage.

So I took the 47 to Hamilton and back to Square One, with the new Erin Mills Transitway Station in use.

Apparently, accessing the transitway station is a total disaster.

Going westbound:
My bus caught the red light, so Erin Mills Parkway traffic kicks in. The changing of lights takes around 2 minutes, and then, when EMP lights stop, the green light goes to the Transitway Station first, not the WB 403 exit ramp, adding a 10 to 15 second delay. Exiting the platform, it uses the loop, wasting another 20 seconds. Then, exiting the ramp, there is a no right turn on red sign, so my bus caught a yellow light, so it slowed down, then ended up with red, adding another 2 minute delay before finally entering the 403 again. So combined with the best-scenario detouring time, the additional time accumulated after going through a tour of the carpool lot amounts to 10 minutes versus bypassing the station.

Going eastbound:
My bus caught the red light at the EB 403 to NB EMP. EMP lights go for 2 minutes, then it had to turn left again to access the transitway. Unfortunately, we caught another red light at the WB 403 off ramp. So it goes on for 90 seconds. Then, when it's our turn, the bus couldn't access the very short left-turn lane because of the huge lineup of cars at EMP. So after 20 seconds, we were able to finally get onto the left lane. And it actually became worse with the fact that the left-turn lane has its own signal. Since the cars had blocked the left lane, it missed its opportunity to make the left-turn. So the bus waited additional 90 seconds at the left-turn lane, then another 90 seconds for the WB 403 off-ramp. Then, since it uses the eastbound platform, it actually has to use the loop first before going to its side, and the platform for 46 and 47 are at the far end of the eastbound platform. The loop adds additional 20 seconds. Then, when we were about to exit the station, we were caught by another red light again, and just as the westbound trip was, no right turns are allowed at EMP. So we had to wait 2 minutes just for the traffic to clear. Then, finally, to access the eastbound 403, we had to use the left-most lane to make a left-hand turn, and that is when we were greeted by a torrent of northbound EMP traffic that went all the way to the red light, which makes it around 90 seconds. My bus ran the red light just to get access to EB 403. So, the total time accumulated combined with the best-case scenario detouring time (all-green), the total delay would amount to 15 minutes versus bypassing the station, which made me miss my connecting bus when we reached Square One.

10 to 15 minutes just to go through a carpool lot seems a little insane.

Is there no extra service for Hamilton's Supercrawl this year? For the past few years there has been information regarding this on the GO Transit homepage.
Try searching the Lakeshore West schedules. We saw PanAm trains long before they were announced.

Right now, GO's website seems down for maintenance on my end at least.

Try searching the Lakeshore West schedules. We saw PanAm trains long before they were announced.

Right now, GO's website seems down for maintenance on my end at least.

I tried. And there's no extra trains this weekend according to GO's weekend schedules. Pity.

1513 LSW and 1543 LSW just cancelled due to police investigation west of Union Station.

LSW service suspended due to a suspicious package at Exhibition Station. Are trains deadheading from Willowbrook getting through ?

No they aren't; judging by the cancellations of trains on the Richmond Hill and Barrie Lines.
  • The Union Station 16:30 - Richmond Hill GO 17:18 train trip is estimated to be delayed up to 15 minutes from Union Station. The train scheduled to operate this trip has been blocked from leaving our train yard due to a closure of the tracks near the Exhibition for a police investigation.
  • The Union Station 16:10 - Allandale Waterfront GO 17:59 train trip has been cancelled. The train scheduled to operate this trip has been blocked from leaving our train yard due to a closure of the tracks near the Exhibition for a police investigation. We anticipate that the 16:40 departure will operate as per schedule.

upload_2015-9-9_17-7-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-9_17-7-26.png
    upload_2015-9-9_17-7-26.png
    593.8 KB · Views: 853
I tried. And there's no extra trains this weekend according to GO's weekend schedules. Pity.
Part #2 of my GO articles (Part #1 is here) will be covering the Niagara Seasonal service stopping in Hamilton as early as 2016 (or 2017). These can easily double as Supercrawl trains, if the seasonal service is extended through mid-September, and will be covered in the scope of this article.

Given the infrastructure will exist by 2016/2017 for existing Niagara trains to easily stop at West Harbour (no-brainer), hopefully Metrolinx considers the merger of Niagara seasonal/Hamilton weekend service/Supercrawl event trains, into an expanded summer seasonal service that goes further into September, considering the Labour Day Weekend and the Supercrawl Weekend are often nearly-adjacent weekends, and supports the business case of a later-running seasonal service. The first two or three weekends of September is usually big weekends (Labour weekend and Supercrawl weekend). That has got to support the business case of extending Niagara Seasonal trains to run later into season.

Last edited:

Back