News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I've heard that the new low floor buses are going to go in service in May. Apparently they will be put in use on the busy bus routes around the network to increase capacity, so Newmarket, Stouffville, etc. I've overhead Lincolnville based drivers saying they have been trained to drive them, so I presume that is going to be one of the first garages to get them. Its not a large garage though (only 9 buses IIRC), so other places may see them pretty quickly.
They probably will initially add them to capacity-challenged routes that aren't currently served with DDs, but keep in mind that this is a huge order. Over the next five years, they're getting 253 new DD buses, and the order has an option for another 150 - though I've not heard word as to whether Metrolinx has taken that option. In short, we're going to reach the point where it'll be unusual to not get a DD on most routes.

Yes of course, most of the MCIs will be replaced over the next couple of years. But it's a 5 year delivery schedule on them, and I'm just posting what I heard and have worked out personally on where they are likely to start popping up first. Routes like port perry - Beaverton won't likely be getting them, but most of the train replacement services probably will.

emergency services get it free. So no, cops don't pay. In fact, my understanding is that the 407ETR pays the cops to patrol. Its contracted / paid duty. Province doesn't subsidize the patrolling of a private companies road. Also probably the reason as to why cops seem way less common on the 407, the company only provides the minimum to meet contract requirements.

Yes, and if I recall correctly I believe there was a controversy when the highway opened that the OPP did not patrol it at all because there was no contract in place. There was a brief period where one could put the petal to the metal and no laws would be enforced. This was also when it was discovered the highway was built below Ontario standards. The on and off ramps from/to the 403 in Burlington were considered particularly poorly designed and had to be rejigged.

Last edited:
Yes, and if I recall correctly I believe there was a controversy when the highway opened that the OPP did not patrol it at all because there was no contract in place. There was a brief period where one could put the petal to the metal and no laws would be enforced. This was also when it was discovered the highway was built below Ontario standards. The on and off ramps from/to the 403 in Burlington were considered particularly poorly designed and had to be rejigged.
It is still basically like that. I'm on the 407 a lot (sometimes daily) and seeing the OPP is pretty rare.

You can easily do 130KM/H on the 407 all-day long every day and not get caught. The general speed of traffic, which is very fast, reflects that reality.

It is still basically like that. I'm on the 407 a lot (sometimes daily) and seeing the OPP is pretty rare.

You can easily do 130KM/H on the 407 all-day long every day and not get caught. The general speed of traffic, which is very fast, reflects that reality.
I am on the 410/401/427 combo almost daily and, frankly, seeing an OPP car is a rare enough experience that you take note of it. Not sure there is any more patrolling going on on my route than your 407 route.

They are already patrolling the soon-to-be-opened extension. A guy I know tried to bike along it, and found out the hard way.

- Paul

I am on the 410/401/427 combo almost daily and, frankly, seeing an OPP car is a rare enough experience that you take note of it. Not sure there is any more patrolling going on on my route than your 407 route.
True enough. I'm mostly QEW/427 and it is certainly not very common to see the OPP on those routes. But on the same token, seeing the OPP on the 400/404 is fairly normal in my experience.

I drive the 401/410 every day. And 401/427/Gardiner frequently too. Rarely see OPP. Not sure I can recall seeing them.

A lot of the busier highways don't bother because it's so difficult to pull people over. Easier on roads that are free flow, so you rarely see enforcement during rush hours.

Updated GO track ownership post Guelph sub transaction.
Previous ver. http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/4952-GO-Transit-Service-thread-(including-extensions)?p=632175#post632175

Lakeshore West line

[Continued]

Addition corridor purchase, currently unused;
2010 CP Belleville sub (Don Branch) mile 209.4 to 206.4 = 3.0 miles
2014 CP Canpa sub mile 0.0 to 2.6 = 2.6 miles (rumored but unverified)

Just wanted to see if there were any further updates from this very helpful post from Vegeta_Skline from October 6, 2014. As far as I can tell, there haven't been any further purchases and the ownership of Canpa is still rumoured as being GO, correct?

From this Toronto Star story.

Just before midnight on Sept. 6, Chan said, he was stopped by a GO Transit officer at Port Credit for a proof-of-payment check. He said he was asked for identification, but all he had on him was a Filipino driver’s licence and his international driver’s licence.

The officer proceeded to call the border enforcement agency, claiming he had an illegal migrant in custody, said Chan. He was handcuffed and taken to the Rexdale detention centre shortly after, Chan said in his statement of claim, allegations of which have not been proven in court.
"Show me your papers?" Why are Transit Constables enforcing these kinds of laws? Regardless of circumstances like this one where it was done in error, why are they ever attempting to enforce immigration laws at all?

From this Toronto Star story.

Just before midnight on Sept. 6, Chan said, he was stopped by a GO Transit officer at Port Credit for a proof-of-payment check. He said he was asked for identification, but all he had on him was a Filipino driver’s licence and his international driver’s licence.

The officer proceeded to call the border enforcement agency, claiming he had an illegal migrant in custody, said Chan. He was handcuffed and taken to the Rexdale detention centre shortly after, Chan said in his statement of claim, allegations of which have not been proven in court.
"Show me your papers?" Why are Transit Constables enforcing these kinds of laws? Regardless of circumstances like this one where it was done in error, why are they ever attempting to enforce immigration laws at all?

Since when are you required to show identification during a POP check at all? Completely inappropriate for GO employees to even make such an absurd request. They have a right to ask you for a ticket or Presto card, nothing else--it's none of their business.

If he was asked for ID after providing proof he had paid fair, that would be out of line. The Star choosing not to mention that makes me think the ID request was because he could not provide POP.

Yep. It's standard practice for the GO-PO to demand ID if during a fare check no proof of payment is produced, or in the enforcement of any other GO bylaw, provincial offense, etc. But to call the CBSA? There's something fishy there.

Back