News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I just wanted to say that today I saw my first sighting of someone taking the GO train and not getting off at Union. They went on at Richmond Hill (might be Gormley) and got off at Langstaff. :eek:

I don’t know whether or not this is common.
Happens very often on the Kitchener line.

I ride it from Brampton and have seen people, at some point in time, getting off at every station between Brampton and Union.

It is funny that I read your post this morning.....I am on the 9:09 out of Brampton as I type and I just wondered where those 6 people who got off (from my car alone) at Malton we’re going.

^on that note, this train is surprisingly popular....I obviously can’t see inside the other 5 cars, but the far western car is standing room only from Malton onwards.

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when GO commuters disembark somewhere other than Union. Not being facetious. Though GO's documents show that roughly 90% of commuters are heading to Union (I imagine its even higher for rail as opposed to bus), it's a ray of sunlight through the doom and gloom of GTA transit and traffic lol!

I just wanted to say that today I saw my first sighting of someone taking the GO train and not getting off at Union. They went on at Richmond Hill (might be Gormley) and got off at Langstaff. :eek:

I don’t know whether or not this is common.

There are quite a few people who get on the GO Train in Hamilton or Burlington and get off in Oakville. Not a horde, but quite a few.

I got off the Kitchener line at Bloor this morning to get to the office at Yonge/Bloor. I haven't been able to figure out if the difference in time is worth the time spent outside walking to Dundas West, but figured I'd try it anyway.

When I used to commute in, I'd only go through Union because I had to get Yonge and St Clair, and it was faster to train to Union and take the Yonge line vs. getting off at Bloor, walking around to Dundas West, and subwaying over and up.

edit: hah, look at that.

I got off the Kitchener line at Bloor this
morning to get to the office at Yonge/Bloor. I haven't been able to figure out if the difference in time is worth the time spent outside walking to Dundas West, but figured I'd try it anyway.

Okay, Google says travel time on transit (without transfers) is:
  • Weston to Bloor-Yonge:
    • Through Union: 23 minutes (14 min train + 9 min Line 1)
    • Through Bloor: 19 minutes (4 min train + 15 min Line 2)
  • Weston to St Clair-Yonge:
    • Through Union: 28 minutes (14 min train + 14 min Line 1)
    • Through Bloor: 24 minutes (4 min train + 15 min Line 2 + 5 min Line 1)
In essence, vehicular travel time is 4 minutes faster going through Bloor. But whether that is eaten up by transfer time could be debateable and change with time.
  • When I was transferring at Bloor, the UPX reno wasn't done yet, so I had to exit at the north end of the train, take the railpath, and go down and around. It's done now, that could shave a few seconds if you get off a southern door.
  • Metrolinx is working on the direct tunnel through the Crossways between Bloor and Dundas West. That will save a couple minutes easy, less up and down and around.
  • Pedestrian congestion at Union can also add to your transfer time there.
  • Train congestion at Union can add to the scheduled train travel time.

Last edited:
When I used to commute in, I'd only go through Union because I had to get Yonge and St Clair, and it was faster to train to Union and take the Yonge line vs. getting off at Bloor, walking around to Dundas West, and subwaying over and up.
That says something about the lack of cross town connections...

Back