News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I’m kinda new when it comes to following GO stuff. Out of curiosity, what is this issue?

The tracks that serve the platforms at West Harbour Station in Hamilton do not connect back to the main line going to Niagara Falls, they dead-end in the station.

As such, any train going Toronto-Niagara Falls cannot call on Hamilton, unless it backs out of the station after stopping, then goes forward again.

With similar complications in the other direction.

The mainline tracks bypass the station.

This is easily correctable, it just hasn't been done yet.

The tracks that serve the platforms at West Harbour Station in Hamilton do not connect back to the main line going to Niagara Falls, they dead-end in the station.

As such, any train going Toronto-Niagara Falls cannot call on Hamilton, unless it backs out of the station after stopping, then goes forward again.

With similar complications in the other direction.

The mainline tracks bypass the station.

This is easily correctable, it just hasn't been done yet.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
It was more of a timing question - why now, unless GO were about to make an operational shift, or because the work was not trackbed related (demolishing the platform for a signal mast or other infrastructure.
They are also doing track work. The plans suggest they are extending the lead track to Shell Canada so that trains delivering to the multiple tracks in their facility are completely off the mainlines while they are doing it. If the ridership was stellar I'm sure they would have found the money for a new center platform, but with low ridership that is not a great investment.

They are also doing track work. The plans suggest they are extending the lead track to Shell Canada so that trains delivering to the multiple tracks in their facility are completely off the mainlines while they are doing it. If the ridership was stellar I'm sure they would have found the money for a new center platform, but with low ridership that is not a great investment.
I heard a rumour on a rail fan Facebook group that CN did not want a platform located the “mainline” at West Harbour.

This morning's announcement, expected:

2-Way, all-day service to Hamilton

Start Date: Saturday August 7th

Frequency: Hourly

Not quite full-day, 14 NEW trips each way each day. So there's at least some span of service missing there.

Presser here:

Donna Skelly in her into for the minister to quite a pot-shot at the Liberals, stating that McGuinty stood there 10 years ago and said there would be 2-way, all-day service to Hamilton in time for the Pan-Am games; the noting it took the Conservatives to deliver it.

Odd how she failed to mention that the Conservatives delayed its launch by 18 months ........

Last edited:
Looks like it's more or less all day to me. Looking at the schedule, trains run hourly from 5am to 10pm. Remember that there is already 2 daily trips to West Harbour. The pdf schedule isn't posted yet but the digital one is available.

Also, 15 minute service is returning to Lakeshore East and Lakeshore West to Oakville GO by the looks of it, as is weekend GO service on Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville.

Last edited:
Looks like it's more or less all day to me. Looking at the schedule, trains run hourly from 5am to 10pm. Remember that there is already 2 daily trips to West Harbour. The pdf schedule isn't posted yet but the digital one is available.

Also, 15 minute service is returning to Lakeshore East and Lakeshore West to Oakville GO by the looks of it, as is weekend GO service on Barrie, Kitchener, and Stouffville.

Barrie has 2 rounds of changes.

From what I can see, off-peak is restored to Aurora, but not Allandale.

It looks to me as though K-W and Stouffville are roughly restored to what they were, more or less hourly 2-way, all-day but except in rush-hours where service is uni-directional.

Weekend GO service on the Kitchener line? Where are you seeing this? According to the schedule, there are no trains on the weekend: https://www.gotransit.com/static_fi...Planning/FullSchedules/FS07082021/Table31.pdf

This morning's announcement, expected:

2-Way, all-day service to Hamilton

Start Date: Saturday August 7th

Frequency: Hourly

Not quite full-day, 14 NEW trips each way each day. So there's at least some span of service missing there.

Presser here:

Donna Skelly in her into for the minister to quite a pot-shot at the Liberals, stating that McGuinty stood there 10 years ago and said there would be 2-way, all-day service to Hamilton in time for the Pan-Am games; the noting it took the Conservatives to deliver it.

Odd how she failed to mention that the Conservatives delayed its launch by 18 months ........

And a sense of realism that new track and infrastructure made this easier and was a requirement by CN likely. Not sure when the planning process started or when the contract was signed, but it could have been during the Wynne government? I'm specifically referring to the third track at work.

Back