News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They are quite uncomfortable for longer journeys and honestly there is no justification for them anymore with the mask mandate and other restrictions being lifted.
The ones with just a small pad between the seats and seatbelts, usually seen on the 40 route, has been the ideal setup by far. If all buses followed suit, then the general comfort will for sure enhance.

They are quite uncomfortable for longer journeys and honestly there is no justification for them anymore with the mask mandate and other restrictions being lifted.
I see. I don't mind them because I never liked the 2x2 seating that faces each other, and I feel that they provide a bit of separation.
I imagine that ML probably wants to wait until the fall to see if masks, etc are reintroduced although Australia is already in winter and states there have not yet committed to reintroducing them, despite rising caseloads yet again.
As for their utility in preventing infection by an airborne pathogen, I agree that there is probably not much. They might prevent a direct hit from a sneeze though ;)

Epedemiology aside, I actually like the plexiglass on the trains - it reinforces the "privacy" of the seat (and hopefully reminds people not to spread themselves across two seats).

But man, if I had a sixth sense, I would have bought stock in a plexiglass manufacturing company about three years ago.....

- Paul

Epedemiology aside, I actually like the plexiglass on the trains - it reinforces the "privacy" of the seat (and hopefully reminds people not to spread themselves across two seats).

But man, if I had a sixth sense, I would have bought stock in a plexiglass manufacturing company about three years ago.....

- Paul

Ooohhh; you're one of those narrow-shouldered people......

LOL

My shoulders are wider than the entire seat. (not by much), but that plexi can be quite cramping. I end up on the aisle so I can lean out a bit.

Last edited:

LOL

My shoulders are wider than the entire seat. (not by much), but that plexi can be quite cramping. I end up on the aisle so I can lean out a bit.
What bothers me most is having no armrest.

You’ll probably hate the ones on the SuperLos. The seats are slightly narrower.

It makes sense but the fact that the 19:15 trains last summer were standing room only says something.

You would think GO would schedule a train a hour or so later to pick up the slack but then again...

Even my father commented about how 19:15 was early to be leavint Niagara Falls in the evening.
It likely has to do with available track slots and hours for crews. Another hour later could result in requiring another crew to take the train home which is $$

I imagine that ML probably wants to wait until the fall to see if masks, etc are reintroduced although Australia is already in winter and states there have not yet committed to reintroducing them, despite rising caseloads yet again.

What I was told it was a cost thing. Taking them out costs money so they want to lump it in with other work.

Since the current schedules go to June 24, my guess is that there will be an announcement Wednesday/Thursday of next week since that's the usual pattern.
GO is sort of smart with keeping their schedules not updated on trip planners until after they make their announcements, but it gets really annoying as you can check them on the local agencies before they announce anything. Brampton for example does just that and it’s sort of satisfying seeing the changes before anyone else does.

GO is sort of smart with keeping their schedules not updated on trip planners until after they make their announcements, but it gets really annoying as you can check them on the local agencies before they announce anything. Brampton for example does just that and it’s sort of satisfying seeing the changes before anyone else does.
Also, if you're booking a connecting VIA train you want to do that well in advance to get affordable prices, but then you don't yet know if/when the connecting GO train will run.

Although they send the new timetables to other agencies beforehand, it doesn't seem to be early enough for some agencies to update their connecting bus services on time. Some agencies, such as Ontario Northland seem to have a lag time during which the connections don't line up.

Last edited:
One of my Railfan friends Taylor out in Stratford noted that they just put up L10 and L12 markers in Stratford, installed today. they are also at St. Marys. No L8 msrker or mp40 markers.
received_543581927417557.jpeg
received_554916629554788.jpeg

LOL

I think there is a discussion to be had about appropriate seat width and pitch and how perhaps for these considerations they should size seats so that the likelihood of someone not fitting in a standard seat is unlikely (i.e. <5% or even more) and provide for a way to convert standard seats into double wide seats for that remaining 2%. However, aside from the increasing of seat space, the partitions are good for protecting your space from those who don't respect your space for whatever reason. Be it coughing without control, bad hygiene, poor etiquette, or size issues... it is important for one person's issues not to become some other person's issues. It doesn't increase utilization of transit to spread misery across a larger population.

Back